OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

At what Age does a turkey hunter reach his peak???

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, January 11, 2015, 07:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tiogabowhunter

Several of us turkey hunters have had discussions about what age you are when you become the most effective turkey hunter.  What do you guys think?

hunter62

SinGin

If your talking about an age when you haveturkeys figured out, then I would say atleast 290 years old.
But an age when you are your bestnthen thats totally up to you.

alclark2

It took me about 5 years to learn to call less, be patient, and learn to get on turkeys. I'll never have them figured out though. I suppose it will go downhill when I can walk in that rough terrain.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Yoder409

Somewhere between the age at which you can pretty reliably fill your tag (or multiple tags) each season and the age when your walkin' legs start to fail you.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

guesswho

It varies due to several factors.  Starting age, if they had a killer as a mentor, amount of time to hunt, number of tags available and common sense are just handful.   A few hunters become pretty lethal turkey killers in their late teens or early 20's.  And some never see that day no matter how long they live! 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Snoodsniper

I hit one peak at about age 16 after that I'm pretty much done with peaks. I'm probably better at turkey hunting anyway....

hunter22

I am 64 and still have not hit my turkey hunting peak. Not sure if it laziness or patience but it seems the older I get the more I to kill. My sits are a lot longer than they used to be. I have to admit some of those mile long walks in and out are getting a lot harder though.

jakesdad

That age does not exist.I dont believe you can really "peak" either.A run n' gun guy can be lethal for most of his young life.That same guy,once age has taken the run out of him,can be just as lethal by sitting and calling.I think its all in what your perspective on what "peak" is.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

mgm1955

Youth=fitness, age=experience. Who knows? Depends on each individual.

1tiogabowhunter

When we discussed it we kinda came up with 50-60 to be a deadly age range as long as the hunter keeps himself in decent shape.  By that time you probably had at least 20 years of turkey hunting experience and have become an effective caller.  You have slowed down enough to be patient and yet can still cover the needed terrain to get into some remote areas when needed.

I understand every hunter is different but that is kind of an average...

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: jakesdad on January 11, 2015, 08:06:45 PM
That age does not exist.I dont believe you can really "peak" either.A run n' gun guy can be lethal for most of his young life.That same guy,once age has taken the run out of him,can be just as lethal by sitting and calling.I think its all in what your perspective on what "peak" is.

Well said! 

I think you can learn something every trip to the woods and I hope I continue to learn until I can no longer physically do it or the Lord calls me home!  Just last year I learned and made a few adjustments to my mouth calling after 24 yrs turkey hunting and about 22 yrs of that using a mouth call and in my humble opinion  I was pretty good on a mouth call even before then.  The results was amazing and the adjustment was nothing major....it's been many years since I've not bagged a turkey in the spring and this past spring was no different but my success rate went through the roof with the changes I made and I tagged out in two different states.    I'm not saying that to brag but I think we can always learn even if we think we're near our peak....learning from the king of spring is just another reason I love turkey hunting so much!!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Big Timber

I'm 53 and have been hunting them for 36 years and I am still learning, I don't think I will ever have it completely figured out. That what I love about turkey hunting, always learning!

callmakerman

I'll be 54 before the NY season opens and I hope I never peak as I'm still having to much fun playing the game. I love turkey hunting and for me it's like a big chess match that I get to live every day I'm in the turkey woods.