OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey tote

Started by rusty4269, January 11, 2015, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusty4269

Does any have any good ideas what you use for a turkey tote? Any tutorials you can lead me too?
Jeremiah 29:11

kevin2

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

silvestris

For years I have carried a 6' or so length of 3/8 " braided rope in my vest.  I tie the ends together and make a loop on each end, one for the head and one for the feet.  Put him over my shoulder, head first, and head for the truck.  If it starts to cut into my shoulder, I switch shoulders.  Since I started using this method thirty years ago, I have have seen no need for something different.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

paboxcall

Quote from: rusty4269 on January 11, 2015, 06:00:29 PM
Does any have any good ideas what you use for a turkey tote? Any tutorials you can lead me too?

Though not exactly the same, I use a tote that is very similar to the ones offered in the below thread.  Highly recommend them.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,49144.0.html
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

sasquatch1

I like to hold him by his feet and throw him over my shoulder and hike on out!!! Keep it original, and any pain felt is part of the whole turkey hunting experience.

davisd9

Found this on a clearance rack at a local sporting goods for 3-4 bucks. I liked it enough at that price to try. Put the head in the bag and feet on the other side and sling him over me. Works well and keeps my pants from getting all bloody. If I kill two in a hunt I carry a piece of rope I can tie to the others feet. No bird has ever complained about either method.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

kevin2

I started a nearly identical thread last year sometime, as I am pretty close to a brand new turkey hunter myself, and this was actually suggested on my thread & then a kind sole here on oldgobbler sent one to me. One of the nicest gifts I have ever received. I was going threw my Turkey vest yesterday & came across it actually & quickly thought "I hope I get to use this fine gift this spring..."

Pretty cleaver tool...

Quote from: paboxcall on January 11, 2015, 10:24:38 PM
Quote from: rusty4269 on January 11, 2015, 06:00:29 PM

Though not exactly the same, I use a tote that is very similar to the ones offered in the below thread.  Highly recommend them.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,49144.0.html
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

rusty4269

Quote from: sasquatch1 on January 11, 2015, 10:27:41 PM
I like to hold him by his feet and throw him over my shoulder and hike on out!!! Keep it original, and any pain felt is part of the whole turkey hunting experience.
Me being a crossfit instructor you'd think this would be what I'd want to do. But my age is telling me to lighten up. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but the pain seems to hang around longer than it used to. Haha

rusty4269

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really thinking about making my own out of paracord. Cause I really don't have enough projects going right now. [Note sarcasm] Anybody have any good refrences on paracord ?

Mike Honcho

Before I started using a vest with a game bag I carried an old, cheap rifle sling with me and a few zip ties. Just zip tie head and feet to each end of sling.

Gooserbat

I just grab both legs and throw them over my shoulder.  Sure others things work and might work better but I'm a creature of habit.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

callmakerman

Just wonder why people use a turkey tote when most turkey vests have a game bag in the back. I do a lot of swamp hunting and hauling a turkey out over your shoulder is a real pain.  I toss it in the game bag and I have two free hands when walking out and moving through the trees or at stream crossings and less strain on my neck and back as the weight is spread out over a larger area. Just wonder and to each their own I guess.

rusty4269

Usually my vest is full of decoys. And if I hunt from a blind it has a backpack case so it's just easier to carry one turkey than 10 other things I guess.

callmakerman

Never gave that a thought as I seldom use decoy's and my blind just rolls up.

rusty4269

so I just made one. I'm gonna use antlers on the end to fasten it's feet in. Easy enough.