turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Homemade box call

Started by Izzyjoe, January 11, 2015, 04:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzyjoe

I bought a homemade cedar box call from a pawnshop the first year I hunted, someone put a lot of work into it, they even made a box for it to go in. It has good sound to it, well i think it does! the only thing I've noticed odd about it is the box is narrow, and the paddle has alot of curve to it, it's not flatter like other calls I've seen. So it's very fast because of the slope,  I'm thinking about sanding it down making it more flatter, but still with a slight curve to it. Is cedar a good choise of wood, I'm thinking about making my own, and wonder what wood to use.

Grouperdawg

If it sounds good I wouldn't touch the paddle,  sanding even a little will change the sound characteristics and for what ever reason that curve works for that box.  If you want to experiment build a new paddle out of a hard wood and you can go always go back to the original. Cedar is good for the box but not the lid btw, try walnut or something hard.

I just started to try and build my first few box calls, am no expert and have tons of questions but it sounds like many call makers don't like to give out their secrets.  i might try posting some questions on this board.

Izzyjoe

Thank you, I'll try making a new paddle, I hadn't thought of that.

dreis3

Quote from: Grouperdawg on January 11, 2015, 11:11:45 PM
If it sounds good I wouldn't touch the paddle,  sanding even a little will change the sound characteristics and for what ever reason that curve works for that box.  If you want to experiment build a new paddle out of a hard wood and you can go always go back to the original. Cedar is good for the box but not the lid btw, try walnut or something hard.

I just started to try and build my first few box calls, am no expert and have tons of questions but it sounds like many call makers don't like to give out their secrets.  i might try posting some questions on this board.

Not trying to be rude or anything but I have to respectfully disagree about cedar not making a good lid.  Neil Cost made many calls with cedar lids and that's, almost, if not all, Lamar Williams will use for a lid on a paddle call.  I'm not a box call maker by any means, but I've owned a few really boxes with cedar lids.  In fact, the easiest running, best sounding long box I've owned is butternut with a cedar lid from Jeff McKamey. Doesn't really answer you initial question (maybe one of the box call gurus can chime in), but I just didn't want you to think that cedar can't make a good lid.
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

Grouperdawg

No offense taken here, butternut and cedar probably pairs really well and you can't argue with anything Cost did.

But With a cedar box Im Pretty sure you would not want to do cedar on cedar but maybe im wrong.  I think generally speaking you match hard with soft. Walnut on walnut is a good combo or cherry on cherry though I've got one of each of those.

dreis3

I agree, although I don't build boxes, harder on softer seems to be the way to go.  I wonder if any of the box guys could chime in with their thoughts on all cedar box... The more I think about it, I don't really recall seeing too many of them. I'd be interested to hear some of the box call guys have to say.  Or maybe someone like Rickey, who has a bunch of calls, could chime in and let us his experience with cedar/cedar.
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

hunter62

Cedar and Cedar does make a nice box call but its go tot be made right it can be hard to tune id like to see pictures of the call and see what you got .I wouldn't change the lid just yet post a pic maybe I can help you get it running better

pauld

Cedar makes a nice box. I can't keep a yellow cedar box for long when I make one.
Absolutely don't touch the paddle if it sounds good! I've had to "Fix" a few paddles that people have decided to tinker with the screw. LOL

Cedar will make a good lid on a long box but it's not a good choice for a short box, just my $0.02. :)

Britton40

Cedar will dent/scratch really easy. Walnut/cedar, maple/cedar, Purple Heart/cedar are your normal combos.

Steve Mann has an all cedar call Neil made him.  I can't recall seeing any all Cedar boxes from Steve Mann.