turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

wanting to buy a mossberg 935 any info?

Started by jg, January 11, 2015, 10:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jg

this year i would like to get a different gun and I like the mossberg 935 for whatever reason never owned anything but a 1100 30" barrel fixed full choke gun.killed turkeys with it but its really long and very hard to improvise with if ole tom dont come in like you want him to.Im just reaching out to others who have one to get some tips on how they like it and how its set up,choke,barrell length,loads and so on....how much will this gun cost me? right now in arkansas no one even has one to show me,all dealers are going to shot show next week to order so there wont be any stock until about the 2nd week of february so i am trying to get some homework done until then...heart felt thanks to any and all help
Ozark beard busters

Tbrady835

935 is great gun you will hear a lot of negative things about mossbergs but I have shot them for years and never had an issue with any of them, that being said I have had only one 935 and I really liked it I got rid of it a couple years ago not bc I didn't like it I'm just always buying/selling guns I wish I would have kept it though mine was a 28" bbl all black waterfowl version and it would fire anything I fed it and I never had it jam misfire or anything else. The only negative thing I have to say about the 935 is I've heard of some people say if you don't load it a certain way it will jam? I don't know the details but I'm sure there is someone on here who knows what I'm talking about. I never experienced that issue though. But just thought I would throw it out there I've never personally liked an auto for turkey gun but each to his own. All in all a good gun and check out the pistol grip turkey version I think it has a 22"bbl and 13" lop pg stock it is a ugly choate stock but I've handled one and it's very comfortable in a calling position. Good luck hope this helped

dirt road ninja

After almost 20 years using a 835, I bought a 935 2 seasons ago. The only problems I've had were caused by dirt. The weapon has never jammed or failed to fire. It has cycled all length loads without a problem, not that I've shot it much. When I purchased it I was determined to get one with a 26" barrel. Looking back I wish I'd bought a 24 or even a 22. I didn't see any difference between the 26 on my 935 and the 24 on my 835.
Chokes, I've tried a bunch. My all around best one is the Indian Creek .675. This choke consistently out performs all my others, which includes a .676 Stardot. I currently shoot the 2 7/16 oz straight 7's from Nitro and get pretty good results with them.
I also put a pistol grip stock (lop) 13.75 and truglo sights on it. Yes it's a longer stock, but pretty comfy to use.
Was incorrect on my lop at 14.5. Went home and measured it at 13.75. Sorry about that.

jordanz7935

Ive had my 935 for 7 years now and love it. I dont think i could ever get rid of mine ive had some great hunts with it and have killed quite a few turkeys and got my first ducks and geese with it. I have the turkey/waterfowl model with 24" & 28" barrels. I currently use a kicks .680 in my turkey barrel shooting 3.5" Longbeard #5s. In the past ive had great success with an Indian Creek choke shooting Mag Blends. The 835/935s usually pattern the best with chokes in the .670-.680 range. Mine patterns great with pretty much everything except Federals with the FCW and Remington turkey loads. The 935 needs to be loaded from an open chamber for the first round.Dont load the tube first. Says this right in the owners manual. All in all its a great gun.Mine will cycle high velocity 2&3/4" just fine but sometimes has issues cycling the cheap wal-mart target loads. Comes with a shim kit and its drilled an tapped from the factory. Its the softest shooting 3.5" gun that ive ever shot. I personally think my 870 shooting 3" turkey loads kicks more than my 935 shooting 3.5s. If your looking for strictly a turkey gun, Id suggest a 22 or 24" barrel. If your gonna do any waterfowling/wingshooting, id suggest a 26" barrel. They are also great waterfowling guns that pattern steel shot awesome with stock chokes. You can get lightly used camo 935s for around $400 while the new ones are almost $700. The all black 26" can be found for around $500 new. Gunbroker always has a good selection of 935s. If it were me, id look for a lightly used turkey model or get the all black one with 26"bbl. Good luck

jg

Im very happy so far with this forum,getting good feedback is priceless!! I would very likely consider a used gun if the right one comes around.I have never sold a gun I bought in my life,I find the right one and I keep them.Thanks for all you guys helping me,it means a lot!
Ozark beard busters

dirt road ninja

One thing to keep in mind with the mossberg's is they have a top safety. It will/does require me to move my hand out of a shooting position to disengage or engage the safety with the pistol grip. No big deal in a hunting gun.

jg

I gave up on the 935 for now,another member on here sold me his pristine 835,polished barrel and a ssx choke,I will use it this season to see how well I like it. much shorter barrel than the 1100  30" I have hunted with the last 12 years so I know I will like that part for sure! soon as stores start stocking ammo I will have to pattern it.Pretty sure i will use heavy 13s so I will try both 3 and 3.5
Ozark beard busters

bbcoach

JG welcome to OG.  You've got yourself a GREAT turkey killer!  The 835 with the SSX should shoot the Hevi 6's and 7's really well.  You can add the Winchester Longbeard XR's in 5 and 6's in the pipe as well.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 835. 

jg

Quote from: bbcoach on January 28, 2015, 11:58:29 AM
JG welcome to OG.  You've got yourself a GREAT turkey killer!  The 835 with the SSX should shoot the Hevi 6's and 7's really well.  You can add the Winchester Longbeard XR's in 5 and 6's in the pipe as well.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 835.
i picked up a box of LB # 6s and i will pattern this sat to see how it does,from all on here i bet it will do quite well
Ozark beard busters

bbcoach

The SSX should shoot the LB 6's really well.  Make sure you shoot a few dove loads for POA / POI  and correct any issues before you throw the LB's in the pipe.  Good Luck and keep us posted on the shooting session Saturday.