News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Long beard XR reviews?

Started by Model 1300, January 10, 2015, 03:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: zelmo1 on January 11, 2015, 08:25:34 PM
:OGturkeyhead: I tried them all out of a Code Black Patternmaster, best hands down. I put a lot of time on the pattern board for all my shotgun hobbies, no contest. Now we just need them to make them in 20 ga. Try them, you will like them. Good luck, Al Baker

Al I hope they make them in 20ga soon too!  Maybe by next spring!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Model 1300

Thankyou all. I am now very confident in these loads as well as my setup. :thanks: :anim_25: :jesus-cross:
"Stop flinching it's just a 3 1/2 inch Magnum" said the old man.

Turkey and I have a love hate relationship.

davisd9

Good shell. Temperature sensitive. Will kill to 40 yards.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

strutnva

Quote from: davisd9 on January 11, 2015, 09:58:35 PM

Sent from the Strut Zone
Please explain why it is temperature sensitive.

Gobble!

Quote from: strutnva on January 12, 2015, 07:14:14 AM

Sent from the Strut Zone

In my experience all shells are. I have noticed very big differences ith Hevi #7s when shooting at 32 degrees compared to 70 degrees. If I remember right 320 pellets in a 10 circle at 40 yards when it was in the 70s compared to 270 when it was 32 out. Not sure why these shells would be effected more than any other.

davisd9

The resin. Not knocking the shells in any way so I am not going to debate about it. You are correct that all shells are some what temp sensitive, but from what I have seen these are more than normal. Only time it would make a difference is early season, some mornings, and if you hunt in a colder climate. Just warning shooters to shoot it at what would be cold temperature for there spring so they know what to expect is all hunting situations.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

GobbleNut

Quote from: davisd9 on January 12, 2015, 07:42:15 AM
The resin. Not knocking the shells in any way so I am not going to debate about it. You are correct that all shells are some what temp sensitive, but from what I have seen these are more than normal. Only time it would make a difference is early season, some mornings, and if you hunt in a colder climate. Just warning shooters to shoot it at what would be cold temperature for there spring so they know what to expect is all hunting situations.

Sent from the Strut Zone

Good information,...Thanks.  I have been planning on getting some of these for hunting here in the high mountains of the west where the temperatures regularly get down to freezing or below.  I will definitely have to try them at those temps to see how they perform. 

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Gobble! on January 12, 2015, 07:37:44 AM
Quote from: strutnva on January 12, 2015, 07:14:14 AM

Sent from the Strut Zone

In my experience all shells are. I have noticed very big differences when shooting at 32 degrees compared to 70 degrees. If I remember right 320 pellets in a 10 circle at 40 yards when it was in the 70s compared to 270 when it was 32 out. Not sure why these shells would be effected more than any other.

My experience as well Gobble.

The first time I tested these were in February last yr and it was cold around the mid to upper 20s and I still obtained a very good pattern....which u can see my results on this test a few post back.

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

bamagtrdude

I tried 'em in my gun -- Stoeger M2000 w/Primos Tight Wad choke -- and it did NOT like 'em.  Gave 'em to my brother, who's using the same gun & choke tube *BUT* a shorter barrel, & his gun LOVED EM.  Guess who's shooting the Longbeards now?  :)  Funny enough, I found the el-cheapo Nitro's worked *great* in my gun, so I'll either be hunting with them or some kind of blended shell (MagBlend's, probably).
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Gooserbat

In the 10" circle I picked up 70-80 pellets over the 3.5" #6 HV, and 60-70 pellets on the 3" #6 HV with Longbeards.  I did kill one bird with them last year it was 37 steps if I remember right.  I usually shoot htl but I would say with out a doubt it is the king of the lead loads.   
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

allaboutshooting

QuoteJust warning shooters to shoot it at what would be cold temperature for there spring so they know what to expect is all hunting situations.

Very good advice.

Cold and dense air lowers muzzle and terminal velocity. Dense air will cause a a shot charge to open more quickly and produce less dense patterns.

There can be a dramatic difference in patterns in the low 60s and low 50s, let alone the low 40s.

When you combine less terminal velocity (killing power) with more open patterns, unless you know how your gun/choke/shell combination works, you can be disappointed with the results.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."