OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pattern test 3/20 varity of shells.

Started by reynolds243, March 20, 2011, 05:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reynolds243

man not really happy with the POA but there was a good 10mph right to left wind....i shoot a bead so there is not adjusting to be done. i also didnt really clean the barrel inbetween shots. overall not really upset with it but man the POA has me a tad worried and I am not looking to go to a red dot or a scope this close to season.  some could have been me and some the wind but either way to SUPER confident at this point. i was shooting a lead sled but I have a pistol grip stock so i had to crank it as high as it would go so the stock didnt hit the bar on the led sled so it was a tad wobbly.

first shot

[

njdevilsb

Why not just grab a set of adjustable fiber optic sights like the Williams fire Sights?  The last thing I would want is to have to worry if it was the wind or if my shot is going to go where I'm aiming when that bird is in front of me.  All of those shots were pretty consistently low and left, which means you'd have to try and compensate for that while shooting the bird if it wasn't all wind.

That 244 is a pretty nice looking pattern.

reynolds243

yeah i would not mind going to a adjustable site but just dont have the time to go to a red dot or what not.

are there adjustable sites for bead shooting?

I am shooting a Stoeger M2000 btw

Tom Foolery

I use a set of Williams Slugger sights for my 835, got'em on ebay.  Zero with some low brass dove loads at around 10-12 yds and then back up, took about 15mins tops.

archery1

Take a kid hunting

reynolds243

3"

know anything about the PRO-SERIES MAGNUM GOBBLE-DOT?

buck_hunter21

Spill Blood

sugarray

Using a red dot is no more time consuming to sight in than adjustable fiber optics, so that really shouldn't be a concern.  If you just don't want one, the fine, but don't think it is more difficult to sight in.  All you have to do is shoot, move the red dot from center of POA to center of POI and there you go.  All sighted in.

Just like Tom Foolery said.  Start close, I like 20-25 yds.  Zero in with light loads. Then move to 40 yds and fine tune.

The pattern is awesome!!  Get the POI/POA adjusted and you have a real turkey killer there.

reynolds243

well i shouldnt have said time is the issue with the red dot. Its more in $ then anything else...my gun would have to be drilled and tapped for it or i would have to get the mount to put it on PLUS the sight.

also i actually prefer the bead style at this point so i would rather stick to that. I have to do something i know that much i cant have it shooting that much left come season. I guess its between the TruGlo Magnum Gobble-dot and the williams slugger sights.

Tom Foolery

My buddy shoots the Gobble Dot, 6 of one, half dozen of the other.  I went with Williams because I think they were made in the USA.

reynolds243

thanks Tom, i ended up with the gobble dot just because i could get it today locally.

went and got it shooting straight today with bird shot at 10 and 20yds (its all i had on me at the time) so atleast i have it shooting at POA now.

i had to move the back sight over pretty far to the right and now not sure if i like the look of the barrel so i am thinking about going with a tubeless red dot...problem there is i really dont have the money for both the sight, base, drill and tap at this time. May just make it work this year and go to a red dot next year.

Tom Foolery

If they shoot good I can get over looks, I shoot Mossbergs and Savages.    :z-guntootsmiley: 

My 870 has the rear ramp all the way to the top and then pushed to the right, it shoots real good with Nitros and Hevi13 6's.

I don't blame you for getting them locally, I was going to have to order eiher way I went.

je4bowhuntin

I had a m2000 and It shot high and left for me. I had to put my bead a mid neck on a turkey. I sold it and bought a supernova due to being able to shim the gun to fit me and shot spot on out of the box for me. My stoeger was tough and liked all shells I fed it exept the cheap remingtons. I like ugly if it shoots pretty too. I love my savage!!!! Good luck! I added sight this year and love them. I went with williams

reynolds243

well i dont really mean "ugly" (i shoot a savage rifle as well lol) i just meant it is ugly or "odd" when i put it up to shoot now. I know it is just something i will have to get use to but i am not use to putting it up and having to move my head more to the right to have it line up.

shooting is all confidence and now for the first time mine has taken a hit in this gun. No real fault of the gun, i still really like it especially for the price point it come in at. I have owned it for 2 years and killed 8 birds with it so it does a great job. Just with the POA was a bit better.