OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoys...how realistic do they need to be?

Started by Bigeclipse, January 09, 2015, 09:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt road ninja

I remember seeing a decoy finely crafted using a garden rake. That had to be from the same great mind that brought us the Badonkadeke.

bamagtrdude

Then again, Badonkadeke BBQ Strutter Edition could be a little sumpin' sumpin' like this (exhibit A) or the Badonkadeke Funky Cold Madina Chicken decoy (exhibit B).
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Gobble!

Quote from: guesswho on January 09, 2015, 07:25:14 PM
Turkeys are a hard bird to fool.  Excellent eyesight and equally good hearing.   There's no substitute for a high end decoy.  Their worth every penny.

Greatest post in Old Gobbler history.

bamagtrdude

---

bamagtrdude

Meanwhile, BACK AT THE RANCH ...  ;) 

In ALL SERIOUSNESS (not that GuessWho ain't serious), a complete NOOBIE last year that I helped "train" in turkey huntin' TAGGED OUT (yezz'ir, he killed 5 gobblers, one even with his compound bow) with the El Cheap-O Wal-Mart foamies...  I don't remember who makes 'em, but they were like $10...

The other reason why I'm such a big fan of foamies is -- they make darn sweet cushions when you're sitting on top of them 90% of the time!!  No joke; I always bring my old FF foamies w/me to the woods, but 9/10, I end up sitting on top of the backpack they're inside, next to a tree...

I wouldn't spend a DIME more than $20-30 on dekes; but, that's just my personal opinion...  Maybe I can give GuessWho $10 for his Badonkadeke Elmo Strutter this year; I love that thing!

BGD

PS. see attached pic of my now Vintage late 90's FeatherFlex foamies, along w/a wing off a bird I use for fly-down/scratchin' nonsense...  And, furthermore, here they are IN ACTION on a hunt last spring in S. Alabama: http://youtu.be/G2ycn5spTR4
---

owlhoot

:TooFunny:   That is a neat decoy! Start production immediately!

Realistic decoys are a must have . look at the original funky chicken. Many have said it works on here.

I still wouldn't use that thing though.

Now this one on here , i might use. :morning:

bamagtrdude

Back when I started noticing all these "fanned out" dekes hitting the market, I took one of my jake fans I had kept, used zip-ties to mount it to one of my plastic stakes, and poked holes in the "butt" of my jake decoy, and tried it out the following turkey season.  See exhibit photo A.

What I determined was -- didn't make a hill of beans bit of difference.  The gobblers hated the foamie deke "about the same" whether he was fanned out or just -- standing tall, looking stupid, around "his" ladies.  Given that it was significantly a) harder to carry and b) longer to setup my dekes in a real hunting situation, I ditched the fan "add-on" & just carried the foamie jake, sans fan.

YMMV.

BGD
---

ShortSpurs

Through the years I have used a pair of the early foamys. Except for a few battle scars and #5 shot impacts (OOPS), they still work ok. Although my better half has furnished a new pair of really good looking decoys for 2015, I will drag along those ol foamys .... just in case, ya know!

kevin2

I seriously need some of that sort of training soon! Really! YOU or anyone else that is into that, I'm game.

Quote from: bamagtrdude on January 10, 2015, 04:56:25 AM
Meanwhile, BACK AT THE RANCH ...  ;) 

In ALL SERIOUSNESS (not that GuessWho ain't serious), a complete
NOOBIE last year that I helped "train" in turkey huntin' TAGGED OUT
(yezz'ir, he killed 5 gobblers, one even with his compound bow)
with the El Cheap-O Wal-Mart foamies...
I don't remember
who makes 'em, but they were like $10...

The other reason why I'm such a big fan of foamies is -- they make darn sweet cushions when you're sitting on top of them 90% of the time!!  No joke; I always bring my old FF foamies w/me to the woods, but 9/10, I end up sitting on top of the backpack they're inside, next to a tree...

I wouldn't spend a DIME more than $20-30 on dekes; but, that's just my personal opinion...  Maybe I can give GuessWho $10 for his Badonkadeke Elmo Strutter this year; I love that thing!

BGD

PS. see attached pic of my now Vintage late 90's FeatherFlex foamies, along w/a wing off a bird I use for fly-down/scratchin' nonsense...  And, furthermore, here they are IN ACTION on a hunt last spring in S. Alabama: http://youtu.be/G2ycn5spTR4
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

bamagtrdude

Quote from: kevin2 on January 10, 2015, 09:37:43 PM
I seriously need some of that sort of training soon! Really! YOU or anyone else that is into that, I'm game.

How much money you got?
---

Old Gobbler

For calling...... Sound like a turkey (authentic )

For camo ... Look or blend into your surroundings

For a decoy.... Look like a turkey

The better  you can do these things ... Well the better , sometimes " good enough " is good , bet your often times not going to know what is good enough the morning before - I've used the cheaper of everything and  and had success , but I like to use the best I can get , and can't claim it's ever hurt my success ever
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Halfski

This thread keeps getting better and better.   Love the pix.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

bamagtrdude

Whole lotta flocka badonka dekes; thx GuessWho!!  I'm ready to HIT THE WOODS now!!

And, a short video of Badonkadeke jake & FeatherFlex foamie, chillaxin' together in the backyard...  http://youtu.be/djQkCz35F6Q
---

guesswho

Looks good.  I may have to make you an offer and hire you as my product control manager at RCD. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff