OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoys...how realistic do they need to be?

Started by Bigeclipse, January 09, 2015, 09:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

All,
I know this may cause a drastic fight but in your real world experience, do you REALLY see a drastic improvement in your success when using the higher end more costly dekes out there such as the DSD.  I currently have the low end lodge outfitter decoys from dicks sporting goods.  They were dirt cheap and light.  I got 2 hens and a jake for 35 bucks. Now comparing them to the higher end ones in person, yes I can definitely see a difference but will it really matter?  I don't mind spending the cash on higher end ones but have other things on my list id prefer to buy before dumping money into higher end decoys.  Thanks all!

Gobble!

Started with the walmark specials then the primos decoys and now DSDs. In all honesty the turkey's have treated them all the same.

bamagtrdude

My *personal* opinion -- not all that realistic.  I've used my FeatherFlex foamies since the late 90's, and jakes & gobblers still love to bash that fake-arse lookin' jake every single year.  He's certainly worse for wear, and ... dunno how I'm gonna repair him this year, but I sure hope to; they *HATE* that thing!  My "theory" is that it's a) size and b) posture & positioning to the hens, during MAXIMUM tom horny-age, that makes a jake deke (at least) very effective (in my woods)...  As with anything turkey hunting related, you've got to "use your imagination" & "guess" on how the tom will approach your dekes; what I always try to do is position the jake deke so that he's kind of ...  "corral'ing" the hen decoy; that REALLY pisses the tom's off (and other jakes, too, ironically) 'cause they think this clown jake is trying to steal his ladies...  I mean, they've knocked it off the stake & bashed his head so many times, I've lost count.  I had to re-paint him last year.

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

eddie234

I have inflatable ones and they work just fine. I don't alway use them but I carry them with me so these ones are easily packable. I'm just trying to get a turkey into the magical 40 yards. I think color has more to do with it than detail.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

bamagtrdude

Quote from: eddie234 on January 09, 2015, 09:43:12 AM
I have inflatable ones and they work just fine. I don't alway use them but I carry them with me so these ones are easily packable. I'm just trying to get a turkey into the magical 40 yards. I think color has more to do with it than detail.

^^^ +1  :icon_thumright:
---

stinkpickle

I used an old FeatherFlex hen in a field setup last year with one side caved in (stayed folded up in my vest too long), and it held birds in the field for over an hour.  From what I've seen, as long as the wind isn't spinning them in circles like a kids toy, turkeys don't care.

RutnNStrutn

I hunt most of the time with decoys. My success rate has gone up over the years, and I have steadily upgraded my dekes to get them more and more realistic. This year I am upgrading once again, and going with some DSD's.
So to answer your question, yes, I believe it does make a difference. As I've improved the quality and realism of my dekes, I've gotten more turkeys to come in and hang around with them. And more gobblers to commit, and be killed.

dirt road ninja

Some days it won't matter, other days it will. Then agian the same can be said for decoys themselves. I've seen them spook birds.

vaturkey

Vaturkey

Halfski

I have hunted many years with the cheapies with some success.  Early season I don't think it really matters.  Last year I switched to DSD decoys and every tom that saw my decoys came right in - although I got an "assist" from a live jake on one occasion.  I don't expect that to happen all the time (or even most of the time), but I think the added realism on a quality decoy can only help.  I felt kinda dumb when I spent the money on a DSD flock, feeling like I somehow got suckered into buying the latest "fad."  I do not regret my decision at all!!!!!

guesswho

Turkeys are a hard bird to fool.  Excellent eyesight and equally good hearing.   There's no substitute for a high end decoy.  Their worth every penny.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ceejay

Quote from: guesswho on January 09, 2015, 07:25:14 PM
Turkeys are a hard bird to fool.  Excellent eyesight and equally good hearing.   There's no substitute for a high end decoy.  Their worth every penny.

Hahahaha, that's a good one 

bamagtrdude

OMG!!!!!  LOL - I think I just threw up, laughin' so hard...  THAT is the funniest thing I've seen in a LONG time; oh my!!!  hahaha...  I've gotta build one of these things!

Is that an Elmo toy on the front of that???  HA!
---

guesswho

Quote from: bamagtrdude on January 09, 2015, 08:02:55 PM
OMG!!!!!  LOL - I think I just threw up, laughin' so hard...  THAT is the funniest thing I've seen in a LONG time; oh my!!!  hahaha...  I've gotta build one of these things!

That is my prototype Badonkadeke from a couple years ago.     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bamagtrdude

Quote from: guesswho on January 09, 2015, 08:09:28 PM
Quote from: bamagtrdude on January 09, 2015, 08:02:55 PM

That is my prototype Badonkadeke from a couple years ago.   

Where do I submit my application for a pro-staffer with Badonkadeke??!!  I'm serious, I've gotta try this out!!!  hahaha!
---