OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoy sUggEsTions

Started by kevin2, January 08, 2015, 02:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

Something not to expensive, packs down small, and isn't to heavy. Hard list to fill, but I figure someone has some ideas...

Love the look of the DSDs, but they are heavy & almost to pretty to hunt with!

I am thinking about getting some full strut decoys, as I read this article where this fellow has had some good luck using them on Winter turkey hunts. I bought tags the last couple years for the late season here in Michigan, and didn't have any luck at all. So, if I'm going to blow the cash on the tag for next winter, then I may as well try to get some action with the decoys.

So, looking for a compact, light, and nice looking full strut decoy that won't break the bank.

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Tail Feathers

Feather Flex.

Avian X are nice looking, somewhat foldable but fairly heavy.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

RutnNStrutn

I've been using the Cherokee Sports inflatable hens covered with the A-Way Turkey Skinz. They look awesome, are light and easy to carry and deploy. Only downsides are the glue that holds the feather to the skinz is crappy, requiring frequent regluing, and a stray pellet is hell on inflatables. With that said, this year, I decided to take the plunge and spend my Cabeleas points on a couple of DSD hens. In my mind, if you are going to bother using dekes, realism is the key, and it doesn't get any more realistic than DSD's.

Idratherb

mgm1955

I agree. Even though they are expensive they are the best.

VA_Birdhunter

I've never been big on decoys and went the first 20 yrs without using any....with that said I have started using them some over the past 4 yrs and have picked up a Avian-X breeder hen this yr.  The deciding factor for it was it is collapsible even though it is a little heavy for an inflatable it looks great and will serve my purpose.  I mainly use a decoy for calming the bird down and keeping his attention off me.  Where I hunt in the mountains they can very rarely see it over 40-50 yards away max. 

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

dfresh55

I love my Avians, they have withstood a lot of torture as well and pack nicely, with that being said i am looking to get a dsd jake saw one in action this past spring and wow!

kevin2

Any full strut decoy suggestions?

I love the DSDs, but I'm not sure I can float a couple of those strutter DSDs. Has to be some other Strutters that are nice, no? Looked at the Primos Killer B, anyone have any thoughts on that full strutter? The fan looks kinda cheesy!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

wvlimbhanger

I've used the killer b with so so results.

Better off with dsds.  Get a jake and lead hen from cabelas.

stinkpickle

Quote from: kevin2 on January 08, 2015, 08:09:19 PM
Any full strut decoy suggestions?

I love the DSDs, but I'm not sure I can float a couple of those strutter DSDs. Has to be some other Strutters that are nice, no? Looked at the Primos Killer B, anyone have any thoughts on that full strutter? The fan looks kinda cheesy!

For the money (and portability), I'd use a half-strut jake decoy instead.   

Gobble!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Primos-69041-Primos-B-Mobile-Turkey-Decoy-/230854612770?pt=US_Decoys&hash=item35c001d722
Here's a b mobile for $45. If you want cheaper go to walmart, buy a $15 jake, and cut a slot in his back to shove a turkey fan in.

RutnNStrutn

I've had excellent early season luck using B-Mobile with a real fan. Plus he's lightweight.

SKFOOTER

If you can find one, the Carry-Lite Pretty Boy Jr. Half Strut decoy works very well.  I bought a couple from Wing Supply a few years back for $19.99 each and added some red paint to the head and I've had mature gobblers knock them off of the stake on more than one occasion. 

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: SKFOOTER on January 09, 2015, 01:34:37 PMI bought a couple from Wing Supply a few years back for $19.99
That's a great price!!

stinkpickle

Quote from: SKFOOTER on January 09, 2015, 01:34:37 PM
If you can find one, the Carry-Lite Pretty Boy Jr. Half Strut decoy works very well.  I bought a couple from Wing Supply a few years back for $19.99 each and added some red paint to the head and I've had mature gobblers knock them off of the stake on more than one occasion.

That's what I have.  Plus, you can stuff a whole flock of FeatherFlex hens in it.  ;)