OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Informal Poll: What ONE THING has dramatically improved success?

Started by bamagtrdude, January 07, 2015, 09:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

So last night, I read & finished Col. Tom Kelly's Tenth Legion book; very entertaining!  I certainly have some opinions that are contrary to what he offers up in the book -- but I also understand this was written some time ago, prior to "modern" techniques & regs/rules changes (ie use of decoys).  But, it got me to wondering to myself:

What ONE THING, in your opinion, has dramatically improved the chances of a MODERN HUNTER (ie 2015 turkey hunter) to harvest a gobbler?

Could be anything - better/long shells, improved camo, better calls, Google Maps for improved woodsmanship, more birds to hunt, whatever -- but pick ONE THING ONLY that, if you were to take it away, would put you WAY BACK in your turkey hunting success.

Curious to hear folks' thoughts about this.  GO! 

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

stinkpickle

Sticking with a setup for longer than 20 or 30 minutes.  That came with age.  I call it "patience", but it's probably just laziness.

drum817

Acquiring multiple properties to hunt.  i.e.  Don't wear out the same piece of property day in and day out.  If you only have one spot to hunt then let the birds rest a few days in between hunts.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

TN Beard Buster

IMO. Our Game and Fish divisions doing trapping and relocating birds and managing those flocks to spread the population over a way broader range. 20-30 years ago there were only birds in isolated regions and the competition for those was crowded.

GobbleNut

To me, the most important factor for success is "time".  All other things being equal, the guys that are most successful spend more time at it than those that aren't.  Those that are weekenders only, or those that can only spend a few days during a season, are at a serious disadvantage to those guys that can hunt a lot of days.  The hunters I know that are consistently successful spend much more time at it than those that are not.

Time spent hunting also correlates to a lot of other things, however.  Time in the field means you have more opportunity to learn the areas you hunt and the habits of the birds you are hunting.  It also gives you more time to learn how and when to call, and gives you much more experience in learning what strategies,...calling, set-up, and tactics,...are likely to be successful, and which ones are not.

davisd9

Slowing down and hunting "blue bird" type of days.  I will hunt bad weather if necessary but my job allows me a lot of leniency on my off time. I have killed in the rain but have a better success rate on beautiful days.

Biggest thing is just slowing down and hunting at a good pace where the birds do not know I was ever there.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rapscallion Vermilion

I think the OP was after something different guys.  You are talking about good hunting practices that would have been just as effective and realizable 50 years ago. I would say the one MODERN thing that has really contributed to my success is the ready access to information and advice from more experienced hunters through forums like this one.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on January 07, 2015, 10:49:19 AM
I think the OP was after something different guys.  You are talking about good hunting practices that would have been just as effective and realizable 50 years ago. I would say the one MODERN thing that has really contributed to my success is the ready access to information and advice from more experienced hunters through forums like this one.

In that case, it's Thermacells and permethrin.

neal

For new modern technology I'd say gun/shells/choke combos

For just something I utilize more than anything when moving/hunting is Binos. I'd go to the woods without a call before I would without Binos. But they've been around forever so their nothing new.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Gooserbat

Age, with it come patience.  Sure modern guns, chokes, loads, camo, and even calls, but patience is key. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

imp

As far as the e technology goes there is not one piece that I could not do without. That being said I use it all, Gps, Google earth, Even have a special sd card in my Garmin that shows blm land as I'm driving by it. You would be amazed at how handy that is for finding a place to hunt. But the one thing that has improved my success rate the most, just plain old experience. Learning when, where, why, why not, how to and so on, all confidence builders. And just like any other endeavor,  learning from experience is invaluable for success.  :gobble:
"well, other than the occasional proffer of wisdom or sound advice, mostly my job is to walk around and animadvert the
situational happenings."

bamagtrdude

Keep it coming guys, and hey, interpret the OP any way you wish; it's just an "opinion poll" after all... 

The more experienced turkey hunters on here (ie north of 10-15 years hunting) have seen a bit more than less experienced hunters, but I'm just curious what ONE THING that *IF* it were taken away from you, in this upcoming 2015 season, would result in far less success to you in the turkey woods.

Keep it comin'...
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Idratherb

time and unpressured properties  the  best turkey hunters have the best properties to hunt and dont miss a day in the woods.

drenalinld

Experience and higher populations.

I agree with The Col on decoys for what it's worth. There simply is not another feeling for me like hearing a gobbler walking and or drumming on his way to my calls looking for me because there is nothing else there! Simply an opinion.

Tail Feathers

Better shells, I don't have to stick to under 30 yards.  (But it's fun when they get closer!)
Gobbler Lounger.  Being able to sit still longer sure helps, especially as I get older and the comfort is even more helpful.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!