Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Informal Poll: What ONE THING has dramatically improved success?

Started by bamagtrdude, January 07, 2015, 09:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

I haven't done a running sub-total but it seems that a) patience and b) time (both time spent in the woods hunting & time/age) appear to be the leading answers right now.  Decoys are a close 2nd.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

mikejd

I have to say turkey population. When.most of these good ol books where written the turkey population was very low. These guys had to become great hunters in order to find a bird. I will say thwy probably had access to better and more land so they where able to find birds. However they did have to.be Better  hunters.

GobbleNut

Quote from: bamagtrdude on January 08, 2015, 11:10:02 PM
I haven't done a running sub-total but it seems that a) patience and b) time (both time spent in the woods hunting & time/age) appear to be the leading answers right now.  Decoys are a close 2nd.

True, but those are not really modern innovations.  If I was to pick one innovation or tactic that to me  has really changed the face of turkey hunting over the last decade or so, it is the use of gobbler decoys or imitations.  That one thing has totally changed spring gobbler hunting.  As others have stated, there is no need to learn the old ways of turkey hunting,...the use of calling, tactics, and woodsmanship,...just use a gobbler imitation and wait 'til one sees it.

Having said that, though,...it is probably just a matter of time before gobblers wise up to that.  A few more years of their use and gobblers will start shying away from them rather than coming on the run.  In the meantime, they have really changed the game in spring gobbler hunting.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 09, 2015, 09:34:28 AM
If I was to pick one innovation or tactic that to me  has really changed the face of turkey hunting over the last decade or so, it is the use of gobbler decoys or imitations.  That one thing has totally changed spring gobbler hunting.  As others have stated, there is no need to learn the old ways of turkey hunting,...the use of calling, tactics, and woodsmanship,...just use a gobbler imitation and wait 'til one sees it.

I agree with this; I also think, coupled with advancements/improvements to camo (ie leafy suits & camo blinds) have DRAMATICALLY improved the success of the modern turkey hunter, esp one that can't sit still & is very impatient.  AND TO BE CLEAR - I'm not criticizing anyone for the use of these things; as they say, "IJS".
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

bmhern

rempumpman

Knowledge, patience and hunting where Turkeys exist; I live in N.E.Arkansas and the Turkey hunting here in my area is pathetic to say the least; I go to states that has very healthy populations in Turkeys and I enjoy great success;

I also believe that woodsmanship should be top priority in every Hunters life; with the advanced technology of GPS, better topo maps, the aid of computers, it has become easier to navigate and find more places to hunt;

God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

WildTigerTrout

Blinds and decoys. I don't use either, never have and never will. I want to match wits with the old gobbler the old-fashioned way.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

chatterbox

Gotten smarter as I have gotten older. I slow down the game, and just enjoy every moment I have to hunt.