OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Informal Poll: What ONE THING has dramatically improved success?

Started by bamagtrdude, January 07, 2015, 09:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

Patience for me...I've struggled for years with not having patience!

But for technology it would
Have to be the use of my computer for scouting and gathering information....I've used the Internet a lot to find out the owners of properties to try and gain access to hunt. 

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Snoodsniper on January 08, 2015, 04:01:15 AM
Optics

I was wondering how long it was going to take.  :)  I'm surprised some other things (that are in my mind) haven't come up yet, but ... 

Keep 'em coming...  what ONE THING, in your estimation, has greatly improved the chances of a turkey hunter in 2015 to INCREASE his/her chances of harvesting a gobbler...
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Take the decoys away from most of today's hunters and they'd have one hell of a time killing birds.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on January 08, 2015, 06:44:12 AM
Take the decoys away from most of today's hunters and they'd have one hell of a time killing birds.

:)  I think so, too.  ALSO, take CAMO away from that SAME hunter that's using decoys, and what do you think his/her odds are?? 

:)
---

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Gamblinman on January 07, 2015, 03:49:26 PM
Without a doubt, it has to be the turkey hunters chair. No more sore or numb cheeks. legs. No more sore back from leaning up against a tree. I can actually get out of the chair and walk instead of crawl to my downed bird.

Gman

For me it's this. Being able to sit comfortably trumps anything else that's come along. In the late season or in the southern states, the Thermocell goes hand in hand with the comfort factor.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 08, 2015, 07:47:54 AM
Quote from: Gamblinman on January 07, 2015, 03:49:26 PM
Without a doubt, it has to be the turkey hunters chair. No more sore or numb cheeks. legs. No more sore back from leaning up against a tree. I can actually get out of the chair and walk instead of crawl to my downed bird.
Gman
For me it's this. Being able to sit comfortably trumps anything else that's come along. In the late season or in the southern states, the Thermocell goes hand in hand with the comfort factor.

Wow, Mike - I expected you to say, better calls/custom call-making has made a dramatic difference/improvement...  But, hey, I hear ya; I *still* have the very first "cushion" (that's being VERY LIBERAL with the term!) off the 1st turkey vest I had; it's shoved inside the backpack I carry my dekes in, and most hunts, I'm sitting on top of the backpack, with both the cushion & dekes inside!!  hahaha...
---

1tiogabowhunter

In my opinion there are a ton of turkeys killed each year these days by guys that hunt from blinds and use decoys that would really struggle killing a mature gobbler if they had to hunt them without those tools.   I have nothing against them where they are legal but its not for me.   

To me the number one thing that would improve my odds is patience, patience and patience.  Especially when hunting pressured birds.   You gotta be on "turkey time"!!!  So many times over the years I have lost patience and spooked the bird when moving that was on his way in to me. 

Adding realism to the calling makes all the difference.   I often hear other hunters calling that never change their call volume or vary their cadence it sounds so unrealistic... 

But patience is #1

ericjames

Time. The past few years I've had a lot more time in the woods to learn from the birds and the lay of the land. I really like some of the new goodies. I have bought some of them before and probably will in the future. I give credit to being more successful in morning hunts because I don't ever carry much. Most of the time just a pouch of mouth calls and a gun. Evening hunts I give credit to a gobbler lounger and time. That gives me the ability to sit for long periods of time.

chcltlabz

More gobblers, hands down, without a doubt.

Other than that, my own personal success has been improved by the internet, and no, not cyberscouting.  The internet allows me to research different states to hunt, look over maps of public land, and even use google earth to pick likely spots to start looking.  Heck, I even get my licenses and tags by the internet.

I've even done a few "scout as I hunt" trips where I was hunting a piece of property the first time I ever set foot on it and had outstanding success this way.  I'd love to be able to scout for weeks before, but if I haven't, I'm not too concerned.

Without the internet, I'd probably hunt 1 or 2 states at most where I usually hunt double that.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

RutnNStrutn

I would say shared knowledge. From what I've read, back in the days there weren't that many turkey hunters, or turkeys. So getting knowledge about the sport was very difficult. Nowadays, there are a lot more turkeys, a lot more hunting opportunities, people are a lot more forthcoming with information, there are magazines, TV shows and forums like this one where novices can learn. That's my thoughts on the question. :z-twocents:

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on January 08, 2015, 06:44:12 AM

Very TRUE!   My first 20 yrs of turkey hunting I never used a decoy and bagged many of a long beard without it!   The last 4 yrs I have used them here and there and only hen decoys.  I don't ever see myself using a strutting gobbler or sitting it out in a filed to have them run or fly into it....to me there is no skill involved in that.  However this is my opinion only......but for me I want to go head to head with a long beard on a ridge top or in a deep holler and bring him in close...that's what hunting to me and I love it!!

God bless

bowbird87

Quality of property I have hunted places were complete idiots could have killed a bird. Called up and killed 7 mature birds in 3 mornings

tomstopper

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 07, 2015, 11:24:25 AM
Age, with it come patience.  Sure modern guns, chokes, loads, camo, and even calls, but patience is key.
This hands down. With many years in the woods, I have learned that patience (resulting in: not rushing shots, over calling, sitting still, being quiet, etc.) has not only helped me become just successful but also more knowledgeable of the wild turkey in general. This is why no matter what, I always feel confident in my ability and lets me just have fun doing this sport that I love......

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: tomstopper on January 08, 2015, 09:24:07 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on January 07, 2015, 11:24:25 AM
Age, with it come patience.  Sure modern guns, chokes, loads, camo, and even calls, but patience is key.
This hands down. With many years in the woods, I have learned that patience (resulting in: not rushing shots, over calling, sitting still, being quiet, etc.) has not only helped me become just successful but also more knowledgeable of the wild turkey in general. This is why no matter what, I always feel confident in my ability and lets me just have fun doing this sport that I love......

Well said buddy!!!

God bless