turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

18 years ago today

Started by Beretta686, March 20, 2011, 03:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beretta686

My wife and I were blessed with a healthy baby girl. Jessica was born at 3 am opening day of Alabama turkey season (Season use to open March 20). Both Jessica and mom were doing fine when my wife told me to go home, take a shower and get some sleep.

At the time we lived 15 minutes from the hospital. On the drive home I remembered it was opening day. My parents had our son and the house was empty. It didn't take long for me to make up my mind to go hunting. The place I was headed to was the same place I killed the bird at this past Thursday morning. Back then it was only 15 minutes from my house. I walked inside ,changed clothes, grabbed my vest, grabbed the gun, and headed out the door.

I can remember it like it was this morning. The cool crisp air, the excitement of having a new daughter and a new turkey season. Getting out of my truck and seeing the orange and red sky breaking on the horizon as I walked along the edge of the field. When I turned off the field into the oak bottom, I stepped back into the darkness. No need for a light, I knew my way to the tree I was going to. I had been there many times before. I settled against the tree and waited for the woods to wake up around me. There was no need use a locator call because I knew where they would be; over the water in the flooded green timber. The same place they had been for the previous years.

He gobbled the first time at wood ducks as they came screeching in. After a half dozen gobbles I soft yelped to him and he answered right back. He gobbled for another 10 min as I would throw out some calls every now and then. Finally he pitched out and landed 80 yards in front. A soft purr and he came strutting right down the middle of the oak flat. At 20 yards I squeezed the trigger. When I walked over to him,knelt down, and said a prayer. I lifted him over my shoulder and walked back to the truck.

I'm sitting here now looking at a old beat up 2 1/2 year old full strut mount. Jessica's cats and Ferret have worked him over, but he still is a very special mount. He is more special than any other turkey mount I have. i refer to him as Jessie's bird.

My wife asked me why I mounted that bird, I just said he put on a special show. I did not confess that I killed him on the day she was born for about 5 years when one of my friend told her. She thought I had killed it on the 21st.

When I went hunting this morning I almost pulled in there and hunted I decided against it since I already killed a turkey in there this year.

Happy Birthday Jessica
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

handcannon

What a way to remember your daughters day of birth. Dont sound like it could have gotten any better. Happy Birthday to your daughter Jessica.

hookedspur

Quote from: handcannon on March 20, 2011, 03:35:48 PM
What a way to remember your daughters day of birth. Dont sound like it could have gotten any better. Happy Birthday to your daughter Jessica.
:agreed:  :jesus-cross:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bowhunter84

:agreed: :jesus-cross: :icon_thumright:

Hognutz

Very nice. That is way cool..Mike :you_rock:

Happy Birthday, Jessica.. :z-bdayparty:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

savduck

Cool story. Happy birthday Jessica
Georgia Boy

FttFttVroom!

Thanks for sharing, felt like I was there with ya :icon_thumright:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Beretta686 on March 20, 2011, 03:24:26 PMHappy Birthday Jessica
Ah, I remember this story. Awesome brother!!! :icon_thumright:

turkey slayer

Odessa

What a great story, and Happy Birthday to Jessica.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

tjh24

Very cool story, thanks for sharing!

Cut*N*Run

Woodsman4God

Awesome

archery1

one of the best post i have read in a long time
thanks
Take a kid hunting

redarrow

Quote from: Woodsman4God on March 23, 2011, 09:15:14 AM

Awesome
Amen to that. Happy birtday Jess.