OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win Longbeard xr at 50+ yards...read before you bash

Started by Bigeclipse, January 05, 2015, 04:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

Ok guys, I know talk about long shots 50+ yards on this site are frowned upon and I am not posting this to start a war and I myself don't want to get bashed or booted.  I just had a question...even if the longbeard XRs patterned well in your gun...wouldn't they still lack energy for penetration at 50+ yards since they are still lead shot? One would think you would need to use #4 shot to still have penetration at 50-60 yards and I bet patterns would look terrible even with these longbeard XRs. 

Full disclosure: Longbeard XR #5s shoot extremely well out of my shotgun giving me a wonderful pattern at 40yards which is my limit.  The only reason I have switched to the Longbeard XRs was because I couldn't get anything else to pattern well past 30 yards (30 yards was not even very good).  I tried so many different load/choke combos (150+ dollars) I about had it and was going to buy a new shotgun all together.

Anyways...I was just thinking that the advertisement for these rounds is for extended range shots, but I just don't see them penetrating well at those extended ranges unless I am missing something. I will say they worked as advertised with regard to pattern which I am extremely happy that I don't need to buy a new gun...for now  :z-guntootsmiley:

stinkpickle

I wouldn't underestimate the energy of any type of shot, at any distance, in which it's still capable of carrying a decent pattern.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 05, 2015, 05:04:05 PM
I wouldn't underestimate the energy of any type of shot, at any distance, in which it's still capable of carrying a decent pattern.

I know what you are saying but I believe there have been many tests showing how ineffective lead shot is past 45 yards. Gelatin tests show an inch or less penetration...

vaturkey

Quote from: Bigeclipse on January 05, 2015, 05:52:51 PM

I know what you are saying but I believe there have been many tests showing how ineffective lead shot is past 45 yards. Gelatin tests show an inch or less penetration...

Federal Heavy Weights will make a believer out of ya !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

natman

Quote from: vaturkey on January 05, 2015, 07:26:36 PM
Quote from: Bigeclipse on January 05, 2015, 05:52:51 PM

Federal Heavy Weights will make a believer out of ya !  :icon_thumright:

I don't doubt that Federal Heavy Weights work great, but they are tungsten-iron, not lead shot.

Bigeclipse

Agreed...I'm talking about the long beard xr leadshot.

M Sharpe

I keep asking myself, just how thick is a turkey's head? How for in there is his little brain? How much meat is on that neck till you get to bone? I'm not advocating the shots that the Drury's say, but I think it will have no problem at 50 yards. I'd hate to be shot with lead at 50 yds.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Crappiepro

I just watched a Video on YouTube(N.R.A Pattern Test of the Win Long Beards XR's)
The guy shot them in 3.5" #5#6. He said they were getting stuck in the card board at 60 to 70 yards with only a few shot in the 10" circle.
The 50yrd pattern was good but I dont wanna take a chance and lack penatration.
I shoot the 3" #5's and do very well with them.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Crappiepro on January 06, 2015, 08:47:24 AM
I just watched a Video on YouTube(N.R.A Pattern Test of the Win Long Beards XR's)
The guy shot them in 3.5" #5#6. He said they were getting stuck in the card board at 60 to 70 yards with only a few shot in the 10" circle.
The 50yrd pattern was good but I dont wanna take a chance and lack penatration.
I shoot the 3" #5's and do very well with them.

this is what im talking about...getting stuck in the cardboard at 60 yards  :z-dizzy: probably means not much better penetration at 50 yards...

stinkpickle

It all depends on how fast each individual pellet is traveling at the distance.  Some will slow down faster than others.  The are a LOT of variables.  That's probably why we hear about both dead animals and dents in cardboard.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 06, 2015, 10:34:59 AM
It all depends on how fast each individual pellet is traveling at the distance.  Some will slow down faster than others.  The are a LOT of variables.  That's probably why we hear about both dead animals and dents in cardboard.

agreed and if I ever feel the need to take shots beyond 40 yards I will probably start looking into the heavier than lead stuff such as hevi 13 shot but dang...I cant wrap my head around 20-30 bucks for 5...that's more than premium deer loads in crazy weird cartridges such as 338 lapua!!!

stringtalker

What we need to remember is that turkey huntn is a up close sport. We as humans know that but tend to be stupid about the whole thing. If we as a hunter do our part the shot will almost always be 35 yards or closer. Yes there are times when the bird will hang up and not come any closer but that dont give us the right to take a long shot and end up wounding a bird. If the bird is not within my 35 yard comfort zone, lead or heavyweight shot, i want take it!!!!!
Douglas

Bigeclipse

Quote from: stringtalker on January 06, 2015, 02:17:42 PM
What we need to remember is that turkey huntn is a up close sport. We as humans know that but tend to be stupid about the whole thing. If we as a hunter do our part the shot will almost always be 35 yards or closer. Yes there are times when the bird will hang up and not come any closer but that dont give us the right to take a long shot and end up wounding a bird. If the bird is not within my 35 yard comfort zone, lead or heavyweight shot, i want take it!!!!!

I can see where you are coming from and I am definitely a novice turkey hunter so as a goal for myself I am limiting my shots to 40 yards, most likely inside 30 as well.  I am a bow hunter for deer and understand having to pass on a deer that are just outside shooting range.  That all being said...I may have to politely disagree slightly. Please continue reading before you get upset or bash me. As technology increases so will the effectiveness of kills on critters.  For instance with my traditional long bow, I will only shoot a deer inside 25 yards but with my compound bow I will take a deer out to 50.  I practice out to 80 yards on a regular basis and I can put an arrow with my 65lb bow perfectly behind the shoulder with a 5inch group every time.  My furthest shot to date on a deer has been 42 yards.
As shotguns, chokes, and loads progress so will the effective killing range.  If I knew my shotgun patterned fine at 50+ yards and penetration wouldn't be a problem AND I could hit a turkeys neck/head every time at that distance I don't see why one couldn't make an ethical kill at those distances (also remember those patterns would be SUPER tight at closer ranges).  As for it ruining the point of the hunt itself that is a whole other ball game and I definitely agree with you there.  Even though I didn't shoot a gobbler last year, I called a few in close and it was crazy exciting! I am an avid deer hunter but I am slowly starting to like turkey hunting even more!!!  :you_rock:

zelmo1

:OGturkeyhead: 3 1/2 " #5's at 52 yards last year through a Patternmaster Code Black choke, stone dead. 43 pellets in the neck and head. Head hit the ground before the body. This is by far the longest shot I ever took at a turkey. I did a lot of work with my gun,choke,load combination to feel confident about taking the shot. Averaged 34 pellets in the kill zone on a turkey target at 50 yards. I would rather get them in to 20-30 yards. I would never take a shot that I thought would not get a clean kill.  Good luck, Al Baker

arkrem870

60-80 yard shots are apparently the norm with the xr's. Everybody and their momma went out of their way to tell me about it this spring. I'm thinking..... Who in the heck shoots turkey's at 80 yards.  At the end of the day they are lead..... Tight shooting and less deformed but still lead