OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any old school SBE shooters?

Started by yella yelper, January 05, 2015, 01:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yella yelper

I got my hands on an old H&K SBE (pre 1998 with round safety) and am looking for recommendations.  I'm currently shooting a 3" 870 so I'll be starting from scratch on ammo and chokes.  Not looking to break the bank on chokes.  Any insight is appreciated. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: yella yelper on January 05, 2015, 01:53:02 PM
I got my hands on an old H&K SBE (pre 1998 with round safety) and am looking for recommendations.  I'm currently shooting a 3" 870 so I'll be starting from scratch on ammo and chokes.  Not looking to break the bank on chokes.  Any insight is appreciated.

I have a 1991 model H&K SBE that only has 4 numbers in the serial number. I've shot thousands of shells of all types through it. I have 24", 26" and 28" barrels. It's still one of my favorite guns. I've shot all kinds of chokes with that gun and those barrels as well as quite a variety of shotshells.

The best chokes that I've found with that gun are the SSX or the JEB's .650. They are quite different in both design and pricing but they work exceptionally well.

I've shot 3" Hevi-13 shells in that gun for turkeys for many years. I use either #6 or #7 shot, usually #6 because I shoot that in competition and know exactly what it will do. Recently in conjunction with the "Turkey Choke Evaluation Project" I shot 3" WLB shells with #6 shot.

I evaluate patterns not just by pellet count but also by the quality of the pattern, lack of gaps within it, and both shells did quite well with both of those chokes at turkey hunting temperatures.

Congratulations on your gun. It's a keeper.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

yella yelper

.643 and .650 seem awful tight.  Is this just a Benelli thing?  I had a Rhino .660 in my M1 that shot terrible and I just assumed it was too tight. 

Britton40

All depends on what load you plan to shoot.

yella yelper

I've got several of the old white H13 #6 3" shells left.  I obviously plan to shoot 3.5" out of the SBE and I'm not married to any shell brand or shot size.  Open to any suggestions

SumToy

Put you a 650 in it and let it be.  Now if you going to try 4's or 5's go bigger. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

TheSportsman

I've got one and have played with it with rhino .660. Just too tight for me. Gonna open it up to a .670 and c what happens...

decoykrvr

I bought my H&K Super Black Eagle ( 4 serial #'s) in 1991, which according to the computer and folks at Benelli it doesn"t even appear in their records.  I've gotten the best patterns (even 20" w/ no holes and a dense center core at 40 yards) with an Indian Creek custom .660 tube made for me when they were still making the Mad choke tubes.  All I shoot in the gun for turkeys is the Hevi-13, 7's and 6's.  The MagBlends prefer a .665 tube (I.C. or Briley).  As an aside,  I've put thousands of rounds through my Black Eagle hunting waterfowl and you can't go wrong w/ the Patternmaster Extended choke tube which produces great hunting patterns out to 60 yards especially w/ the "old" green Remington Premier Hevi-Shot Nitro Magnums.  You've just gotten one of the finest semi-automatic shotguns ever made which will give you years of service.  NEVER ease the bolt forward to chamber a shell.  The gun will not go into battery.  Pull the bolt all the way back and let it slam forward to chamber the shell.

scdxt

Get around .650 and watch it come to life!!! Carlsons makes a .650 for a great price that i have personally shot and for the money it doesnt get much better with the right shell. Also made in the USA!!! Good luck on your gun you have got a great one.Some of the best guns made in my opinion.

ccleroy

I shot a Sumtoy .650 out of mine with great results.......great gun

gobblingghost

I have an H&K SBE with a Sumtoy 650. With the old Hevi 3.5" #7, I was getting about 300 in a 10" cir @ 40 yrds.

drenalinld

Quote from: yella yelper on January 05, 2015, 03:47:42 PM
.643 and .650 seem awful tight.  Is this just a Benelli thing?  I had a Rhino .660 in my M1 that shot terrible and I just assumed it was too tight.

Yes. Benelli has a smaller ID than most others.

Jstocks

I've killed a truckload with a SBE and Comp n Choke XXX full. Shot everything from winchester HIV #4's to hevi 13 straight 7's.

01Foreman400

I've got one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

yella yelper

Quote from: decoykrvr on January 06, 2015, 10:37:13 AM
I bought my H&K Super Black Eagle ( 4 serial #'s) in 1991, which according to the computer and folks at Benelli it doesn"t even appear in their records.  I've gotten the best patterns (even 20" w/ no holes and a dense center core at 40 yards) with an Indian Creek custom .660 tube made for me when they were still making the Mad choke tubes.  All I shoot in the gun for turkeys is the Hevi-13, 7's and 6's.  The MagBlends prefer a .665 tube (I.C. or Briley).  As an aside,  I've put thousands of rounds through my Black Eagle hunting waterfowl and you can't go wrong w/ the Patternmaster Extended choke tube which produces great hunting patterns out to 60 yards especially w/ the "old" green Remington Premier Hevi-Shot Nitro Magnums.  You've just gotten one of the finest semi-automatic shotguns ever made which will give you years of service.  NEVER ease the bolt forward to chamber a shell.  The gun will not go into battery.  Pull the bolt all the way back and let it slam forward to chamber the shell.

Yeah, I used to hunt with an M1 but honestly couldn't get it to pattern worth anything so I switched to my 870 and got much better results.  I was always a nervous wreck with the M1 constantly checking the bolt to make sure it was turned.  I'd set it down on the butt occasionally and the bolt would turn halfway.... I still use my M1 duck hunting and nothing but pleased with it. 

Sounds like .650-.655 is what I need.  Thanks guys!