OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Awsome Day in Bama

Started by Beretta686, March 20, 2011, 02:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beretta686

A friend and I decided to make the run to the river Friday night and sleep in the cabin and get up at daylight, it sure is better than getting up at 3:30am and driving 132 miles. When we walked out on the porch this morning turkeys were gobbling across the river in GA. my friend hooted and one gobbled 80 yards south of the cabin. One of the 4 I missed Wednesday. It was funny, we left the guns on the buggy so when we walked down to get them I said I think we better walk back up into the cabin and chamber the rounds so it would not be so loud.

Loaded up we walked back down the stairs and made an end around to where I missed the turkey Wednesday morning. There were turkeys gobbling everywhere, music to my ears. We got set up and I pulled the same travel call out and made a soft call and he hammered back. I set the call down and got ready. It wasn't 30 seconds later and I saw a turkey pitch out of the tree. Then I saw another. we were in business. A little purr and cluck and they headed our way. It was the four amigos again. We were trying to double and I kept the cross hairs on the strutter waiting for my friend to say he was on one too. He said I can't shoot tree to my right, kill one if you can. That's all I needed to hear and I let Ms. Wicked speak. The meanie greenies did their thing.That was a quick hunt.

We left the gobbler there and headed up Gobbler road. We had not gone 300 yards and were trying to figure out what other gobbling turkey to go after when one gobbled to a yelp off the same call in the acorn flat in front of us. We just squatted in the road. For the next 10 min we could here him spitting and drumming but could not see him. He was just over a little lip with some thick underbrush between us. My friend began to crawl down the road as i purred and clucked. The combination of the russling of the leaves and the sweet music on the travel call was more than he could stand. I saw the red head walking towards the road and my friend put his head down on the gun. I was in my gillie jacket kneeling down on the side of the road when he stepped out. Nothing but air between us all. The gun went off and the gobbler just stood there. What the ......... He turned and took off running. I looked at my friend and said what did you do? He said what do you think, I missed. We could not believe it. I asked if he wanted me to go back and get Wicked for him, he said no way. So we picked up and continued down gobbler road.

We got almost to the lower gate when another fool cut lose at the call, we were a mile from the cabin. He was in the creek bottom, so we cut up to take the high ground. It ends up that there was 3 gobbling together and one about 100 yards to the south of them. We set up on the ridge road me on one side and my friend on the other. I would call and they would gobble. Finally a hen walked up to 10 yards of me, we thought for sure the gobblers would be in tow. They gobbled just over a flat right where the hen came from, but we never saw them. I looked to my right and there is a gobbler standing there 35 yards looking down the road. My friend never saw him. We made 3 other moves on the birds in the creek bottom before they went silent. It was almost 10 am now. We headed back to the cabin to load up the buggy and drive back to the truck. On the way back we got into the acorn flat and I yelped again. It was answered by a hen yelp we could not believe it. We sat down and waited. Nothing, I purred and clucked and I heard footsteps. My friend said there he is.I turned and looked and there were 2 gobblers standing there. This time he did not miss.

We walked back to the cabin and figured we had worked 13 different gobblers killed 2 and missed 1. One of the best days we both had in the turkey woods

When we got back to my gobbler something had eaten his head off, didn't touch the breast, just the head was gone and nothing but a red string for a neck. That was weird, I had never seen that before. We had left it hanging in a tree.I picked up wicked and the gobbler and we headed back home. We drove the buggy back to the truck and were loading the truck when I tossed out another yelp and sure enough another one hammered at high noon. We just laughed and said lets get out of here.

The pictures are on my friends camera and I will post them when he emails them to me Monday

The first bird

Robbies Bird. The only camo he will wear is camo off e-bay. He shoots an old ithica 2 3/4 inch fixed full choke. True traditional turkey hunter. I will bet he has killed over a hundred birds.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

alloutdoors

Sounds like a great morning in the woods, congrats to both of you!  :icon_thumright:

redleg06

Wow, sounds like a heck of a day in the turkey woods!

Congrats!

FttFttVroom!

Shotgun

Congrats on a great hunt.   :icon_thumright:

bowhunter84

JVA54

hookedspur

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 20, 2011, 02:37:53 PM
Sounds like a great morning in the woods, congrats to both of you!  :icon_thumright:
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hognutz

That was an action packed day. Congrats to the both of you.. :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Flydown

mfd1027

Wow!  what a day!!!   Congrats! on the birds.    :z-guntootsmiley:
Dan

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

nctrkyhntr

FLGobstopper

Sounds kinda like the morning me and my buddy had today except neither one of us were able to get a shot off. Congrats on a great hunt!

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like a fantastic hunt at an awesome place!! :icon_thumright: