OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bourbon Virus

Started by bbcoach, January 01, 2015, 09:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Just saw a video on the Weather Channel homepage that reported on a NEW virus transferred from ticks that is immune to antibiotics.  A farmer in Bourbon County, Kansas contacted the virus last summer and died within 10 days, from multiple organ failure.  This maybe the only known diagnosed case, by the CDC, but it should be something that all of us should be aware of and do our best to prevent.  We are in a tick infested environment, both spring and fall, and need to take precautions to keep ticks at bay. 

rusty4269

I always use deep woods off. I forgot it one morning last spring and had to pull a tick off my side when I got home. Ticks were terrible this year in kentucky.
Jeremiah 29:11

mgm1955

Good info especially for those of us who hunt in SE KS. Thanks for sharing.

gobbler777

From the title, I thought I was going to have to quit taking a pour of my favorite whiskey before supper.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Tail Feathers

Prepare ahead.  I forgot to Permethrin up my clothes two years ago before a KS and OK trip.  I got two dozen tick bites on that trip.
Lucky to have escaped with no illness from it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bbcoach

Quote from: gobbler777 on January 02, 2015, 06:11:39 AM
From the title, I thought I was going to have to quit taking a pour of my favorite whiskey before supper.
I knew when I posted the subject line that some would think that this post was a joke but as you can see this is something we all need to pay attention to in the coming years.  Hopefully this won't spread to other parts of the US but who thought ticks would transmit the debilitating Lyme disease.  Protect yourself and especially your young hunters and Take Precautions! 

nativeks

Yep. On my place off doesn't even work. Sprayed my daughter with it and she had 40 seed ticks on her when we got home. My own experience was similar. My legs looked horrible from the sheer number of ticks I had. Wore khaki pants one day and from the time I exited the truck till I walked back to drop the gate on my ATV trailer I already had 4 on me.

Wife works in a hospital lab here in SE KS and although the CDC developed a test for it, it's not FDA approved and it won't show up in the tests they run so...

rusty4269

So far off has worked well for me but if there's something out there better I'll definitely try it. What do you guys use?

paboxcall

Quote from: rusty4269 on January 02, 2015, 12:06:45 PM
So far off has worked well for me but if there's something out there better I'll definitely try it. What do you guys use?

Only this, and it works.  Repels and kills ticks.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Products-Premium-Insect-Repellent-for-Clothing-and-Gear/19887389
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Tail Feathers

Quote from: rusty4269 on January 02, 2015, 12:06:45 PM
Spray those hunting clothes down with Permethrin before season!  It absolutely works.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bbcoach

Some people don't like permethrin but it absolutely works.  I buy 10% at any home and garden shop put 1 ounce in a 20 ounce spray bottle (.5% solution) and spray my clothes, boots, hat, gloves, vest and face mask with it.  Then hang them up to dry and your good for a couple of weeks.  If you wash your clothes frequently then reapply as needed.  I've watched ticks walk up my boots when I'm setting on the ground and they just fall right off.

rusty4269

Guess I'll go to Walmart. Thanks for the info guys.

willy8457

The concentrate you buy and mix is just as good as sawyers and a 1/4 of the price. But it works.

rusty4269

Quote from: willy8457 on January 02, 2015, 04:43:23 PM
The concentrate you buy and mix is just as good as sawyers and a 1/4 of the price. But it works.

Does Lowes carry it?

willy8457

I bought mine on Amazon , the products name is Duration 10% permithan. 32 $ plus shipping.  It says to mix it up and soak your clothes in it . I mixed it up and put it in a spray bottle , sprayed it on my clothes pretty heavy  than left them dry. Haven't had a tick problem since.