turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bama Hunt

Started by Shotgun, March 20, 2011, 12:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

I just got back from spending opening week with my Paw Paw. The man that taught me most of what I know about turkey hunting down in South Alabama.  My Paw Paw wasn't capable of going due to mobility, but he was there mentally.  He has seen a many turkey die in his 65 yrs of hunting them.  I set out on this hunt determined to show him at least one more. 

I hunted my butt off for 4 days and only found one gobbler track and only heard one turkey gobble on the public land I was hunting. On thursday morning the locals slept in and I moved in on his roost.  Up to this day he had not gobbled, so at 6:30 when he fired off I was somewhat shocked.  He was about 300 yards.  I didn't waste anytime on closing the distance.  However he was roosted in an incredible thick swamp so I could only get about 150 yards from him. 

It wasn't long and I started hearing all the locals moving in.  I could hear at least 3 different people calling to him why he was on the roost.  I could also hear a real hen in between him and me.  I knew I had do something so against my usual tactics I let out 2 series of soft yelps and just went to scratching the leaves like crazy.  A few minutes later the hen jumped trees and landed about 40 yards behind me.  I kept the scratching going.  At 7:00 I see him sailing across the swamp and he lands 15 steps away.  That resulted in getting shot in the face.

I also had ordered a custom longbox from Chuck Anderson for remberance of our first turkey hunt together.  I had Chuck write a saying on the bottom of the call that Paw Paw said to me on our first hunt together that has always stuck with me through the years.  The call arrived in AL on Friday and I got to show my Paw Paw and explain to him the influence the has had on me.  I had told Chuck about this story and what the call was for and he sent Paw Paw a longbox as well.

jake slayer

Good story & congrats on a fine bird!! :icon_thumright:

Hognutz

Way to go, Shotgun. Nice story about the turkey and Paw Paw. Congrats..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

shootumindaface

Congrats buddy that is aweomse

alloutdoors

Great story and a great bird, congrats!  :icon_thumright:

redleg06

that's awesome man!  I bet you made him proud!

guesswho

Killing one in a state that don't have any is a pretty neat trick.  Congrats, I'm glad Paw Paw was there :icon_thumright:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

trkycaller

nctrkyhntr

bowhunter84

hookedspur

Quote from: Hognutz on March 20, 2011, 12:13:41 PM
Way to go, Shotgun. Nice story about the turkey and Paw Paw. Congrats..Mike :you_rock:
:agreed: 1000%
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

dawgfrombama

BOFF

WOOHOO!!

Way to go!! Glad it all came together for you, and Paw Paw. I gotta ask what the saying is that stuck with you for all those years. If you don't want to share, I certainly understand!!

Congrats.

God Bless,
David B.

Rio Fan

Very touching story about your Paw Paw.  Congrat's on a great hunt!

pittboss

Great job.................. looks like persistence paid off   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Congrats!!

pittboss
Gobble Gobble Boom !!!!!