Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First bird taken with my daughter along. (Pic heavy)

Started by BOFF, March 19, 2011, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Wow what a season so far!!  

I knew where some gobblers had been hanging out, and went in the evening before and set up a blind for my daughter and I to hunt out of, as she asked to go along this year. She has only been one other time last year, and it rained the whole time, with no gobbles, yelps, or turkeys seen. This year would be different. Woke her up at 4:40am. and she popped out of bed and put on her clothes before I could blink. We got about 800 yards from the blind, and walked in the dark to our spot, and put up the decoys, we named "Goober" and "Henrietta" from  Joe (TRKYHTR), and quietly entered the blind at 6:14am.

The first song birds started around 6:33, and by 6:45 we had heard our first gobbles a looong way off. Unfortunately, there were no gobbling close by. By 7:15 I did some calling, 7:30, and 7:45. Nothing, except a hen yelp at 7:15, which we never saw her at all. It was cold, and my daughter was cold as well. At 7:48 she was shivering and asked if we could go back. I said "sure" and asked if she wanted to go now, or wait another 15 minutes. She replied, in another 15 minutes.

In another 5 minutes, there was a red head coming around the edge of the green field, on the road. He was walking and as soon as he saw Henrietta, he went in full strutt. Then my daughter whispers "daddy, there's two more!" Sure enough two more red heads from the same direction as the first.  The first gobbler then sees Goober, and walks over to him in a strutt, and gives him the  up and down look of "Who are you, and what are you doing here?"

I ask my daughter if she wants me to shoot one, and she says "yes".  I whisper "cover your ears", and she slowly eases her hands up to her ears as we had practiced earlier.

By now, the other two turkeys had run up, eyeballing Henrietta, then Goober, then the strutting gobbler. The strutting gobbler eases up to the back of Goober, and I knew Goober was gonna take a beating.   BOOM!!!  Goober was saved with a load of H13 #7s.

We watched the other two gobblers run off, and then went to look at our bird. We examined his colors, said a prayer of thanks, and continued to live in amazement of what just happened, 5 minutes after thinking about going home.

Highfive and the view from blind with the decoy setup

Close up

Daughter doing the turkey dance.

Measurements
19.53 lbs, 9 7/8" beard, 13/16" spurs, scored 55.53

Thanks again Joe (TRKYHTR) for the decoys "Goober" and "Henrietta", Scott @ Hooks calls, and Mike Yingling for the Spalted Maple pot call, and thanks to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for the beautiful daughter I'm blessed with, as a hunting partner, and princess.

God Bless,
David B.

FttFttVroom!

She's a beaut! Congrats on the fine hunt and the memories shared!!

alloutdoors

Looks like you both had a great time, congrats!  :icon_thumright:  I always try to wait another ten or fifteen minutes past the point where I decide to move or give up, it's amazing how often those extra few minutes make all the difference.

furtracker

RutnNStrutn

Very awesome!! That's great that your daughter wants to hunt with you.

Hognutz

You are a blessed man, David. A darling daughter, that wants to hunt with her dad. It doesn't get any better than that. Congrats on the turkey, and having your daughter with is icing on the cake..It was a special day for the both of you..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

OLE RASPY

Thats just awsome man looks like she likes turkey hunting to.I hope my daughter likes it.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

busta biggun

joshua

Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

handcannon

Looks like your other hunting buddy now has some stiff competition. That little cutie looks like she is really enjoying that. Congratulations on a most memorable hunt. I imagine she is really grateful for you taking the time to take her with you. Can you imagine the conversations on the playground when she goes to tell that story?

Woodsman4God

Thats awesome that smile on both of you is not gonna fade anytime soon  :anim_65:

Tail Feathers

Congrats.  That's awesome!  I love the turkey dance. :jackson:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 20, 2011, 09:25:58 AM
Congrats.  That's awesome!  I love the turkey dance. :jackson:
x-2
Awesome day for sure Congrats!  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."