OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Field or Hardwoods

Started by VA_Birdhunter, December 09, 2014, 02:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

Since I wasn't able to fight off the urge to watch all my turkey hunting DVDs and started watching them at the end of November....I've got to watch many field hunts and hardwoods hunts.   I always find my self looking and wanting to see the hardwood hunts the most.  Not sure if it's because the majority of hunting I do is in the hardwoods....but there is just something special seeing a gobbler strutting and gobbling to you in the woods!  I do hunt fields some but I would say I easily hunt in the woods 95-98% of the time.   But I will take a field hunt as long as I'm out chasing my passion and addiction!  I was wondering if others prefer one over the other I know if I had a choice it would be a hardwoods hunt every time.   How about you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

hunter62

That's hard to say depends on where the birds are .I kinda like them come strutting threw the hardwoods its  different when they come strutting across fields but have to say most of my good birds long spurs where what I call field gobblers .

guesswho

Make me no difference.  Where ever he wants to die is fine with me.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

Hardwoods, pines, fields, cut overs, mountain ridges, swamp, or any other terrain or land type you can think of is fine by me. I like going to his home field and it makes no difference what it is like. My 835 hits just as hard in hardwoods as pines and so on!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BigMick

Quote from: guesswho on December 09, 2014, 03:14:23 PM
Make me no difference.  Where ever he wants to die is fine with me.

Yep....Just like Mr. GuessWho said!

Gooserbat

Where ever the bird is at. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VA_Birdhunter

I'm with everyone else I'll go where they are but there is just something I love about a hardwoods hunt!  I love it!!!!!!!

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: hunter62 on December 09, 2014, 03:09:51 PM
but have to say most of my good birds long spurs where what I call field gobblers .

Hunter62....I agree with that I have killed and called in some big field gobblers!

drenalinld

Hunt more pine plantation and fields but prefer hardwoods.

Spring Creek Calls

Hardwoods all the way! Bout the only time I hunt fields/open terrain is when I'm in KS or SD.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

hunter22

I have killed a couple in my day and it seems the hunts I remember the most were in the hardwoods. I can recall a couple hunts down in the Mississippi swamps when gobblers were coming in strutting and gobbling by the huge water oaks and creek with the sun coming up behind them....Dang I love to relive those hunts.

VA_Birdhunter

Hunter22....I think I can remember all of them also! It's crazy but I have spots on the property I hunt in VA that is on my list of Wanting to work a turkey to that specific spot.  There is a lot of big ridges and flats down there and I've called many of a turkey into those flats....thinking about it makes me long to be there!

God bless

Herb McClure

VA Birdhunter, please don't think I am just picking on you to post behind you. No sir, because I really do think you are a swell guy and a great woodsman and turkey hunter and we both hunt grouse. Yea, when I saw this thread: Field or Hardwood, it caught my attention. Because, I am a hardwood hunter on the Chattahoochee National Forest in North Georgia; to be exact. For the last forty-years, every gobbler I have killed; has been in big remote mountain hardwoods. So, you see I am with you about enjoying watching gobblers strut through the big woods. There was a ten-year period, when I too hunted fields in Middle-Georgia, as well as the hardwood forest of North Georgia; and that too was after I had previous hunted the first nine-years of my turkey hunting in the Chattahoochee Forest; when American Chestnut logs were lying everywhere on the forest floor back in the nineteen-fifties. Now, if you add up all these years, you see, I have been in the turkey woods for a long time.The first mountain gobbler I ever saw strutting; was up on top of an old American Chestnut Log; a good four-foot in diameter. There were three hens scratching in the leaves fifteen feet away from the log,which the gobbler was strutting back and forth out the log.
Those flats you mention, are what I term a "CALLING PLACE". Again a long time ago, I learn there were certain places in the forest, which gobblers come to, more willing, than just anywhere. May I suggest for you to go on the GON Forum.com, then scroll down to Turkey Talk. Click on that title and then scroll down to Herb McClure---"A Season For His Book". Hopefully, you will enjoy the read. Also, pull-up GON MAGAZINE.com, which is their December magazine issue. Scrolling down their web-page to: "A Magic Time For Grouse", by Herb McClure is a grouse story forty-years ago, you may enjoy too.     
Seams like all the posters are interested in is just the killing, any way they can; which is how most young hunters today want to hunt; that's my opinion only.

herb mcclure

VA_Birdhunter

Herb....thanks for the information I will look those up today and read them!  Thank u sir!

I like what you call those flats "calling place" cause that's exactly what they are!   

God bless

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call