News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got drawn for Florida, spring of 15!

Started by Tail Feathers, December 04, 2014, 01:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chcltlabz

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on December 10, 2014, 07:01:50 PM
Chcltlabz, it's even worse in FLA because we have Osceolas. Between the overdevelopment of FLA, the wealthy businessmen from the big cities and the outfitters leasing up land for their Osceola hunts, the average Joe doesn't stand a chance. You either spend BIG bucks for private land, or you hunt public land.
The public land quota hunt system is whacked. Unless you're putting in for run of the mill land, with mediocre or poor hunting, you can go years trying to draw a permit for good public land. It is very frustrating.

I feel for you guys, I really do.  Part of me thinks I'm jealous of you getting to hunt the bird I'm dying to hunt, but then I think how bad it would be to have to deal with that draw every year.  I've been trying to draw for 6 years.  Unfortunately I forgot a year in there and lost my preference points.  Stupid oversight, but its tough to remember to apply in November. 

Worse than that for me, twice I've had guys up on guided goose hunts who were orchard managers.  Both times they had land I could come hunt Osceolas, and both times they ended up leaving the hunt before I could get all their contact information.  January frost is a big deal to those guys I guess, and unfortunately, I haven't had another FL guy up since.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

TURKEYWHACKER

Even so so WMA's can harbor hidden honey holes. My group hunts several "no quota" walk in WMA's every year and we get ample opportunities. Ol Rut can back me up on this. Scout, scout and scout some more and good luck on your Osceola hunts.  :icon_thumright:

RutnNStrutn

True. If you put your time in and scout, scout, scout, then be in the right place at the right time, you can score on a nice Osceola on mediocre land. The problem is that for every time that happens, you spend another 10 hunts getting walked on by idiots with no courtesy.
I guess ole Turkeywhacker has a heck of a lot more patience than I do when it comes to that. ;D That's why I only hunt primo public land for turkeys in Florida. If I don't get drawn, then I go to my lease in Carolina instead. I may not kill a bird there, but at least I don't have my hunt ruined by a Walking Wally.

TURKEYWHACKER

You are right Rut. I have some serious public land patience. Honestly, I seldom if ever see another hunter other than driving down the roads.

firedup

Hey Turkman.....Firedup from the old Wild Turkey Zone.   Been lurking over here for a good while but rarely post.  I drew tags for Seminole Forest this year...ever hunted there?  Looking for pointers, leads, anything at all.  If you remember when we all hooked up down there couple years ago for some fun and food, one of my hunting buddies is pretty busted up.  Gotta try to find something almost in the road for him.  He is getting down now to where a walker mite be necessary.  Rut kinda put us on a few (this being one) where there was a decent road system he could use.  We finally drew tags after 4 years of applying.  So.....any help at all is much appreciated!!  Be great to get back down there and maybe meet and greet abit too!  LT

MiamiE

I got a second weekend permit as well for a South Florida WMA. I'll be hunting my lease opening weekend!

Gobblerjim

Never hunted Seminole but heard it's a nice place to hunt. Good luck. Opening week couldn't come fast enough.

TURKEYWHACKER

No dealings with Seminole Forest here either. Best of luck on your hunt. :anim_25: