turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who's Switching from Hevi 13 to LB's

Started by Spring Creek Calls, November 20, 2014, 04:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger M77

I Switched last year long beards pattern better than my hevi 3/2/7 and they don't leak buffer all over
I eat therefore I hunt

Gobble!

Quote from: Ruger M77 on January 08, 2015, 09:44:53 AM
I Switched last year long beards pattern better than my hevi 3/2/7 and they don't leak buffer all over

Man, what long beard shell were you using? Not to start an argument but if it was the 3" #6 long beard shell I have a very hard time believing 1.75oz of lead #6s shot better than 2oz of hevi #7s. Even if it was the 3.5" 2oz number #6s I find it hard to believe. Were you shooting at a large target to see your entire pattern? When I shot the hevi shot shells they had a different POI than lead shells.

Longshanks

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 07, 2015, 10:10:05 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on January 07, 2015, 08:57:43 PM
Yup, I still have two boxes of the 3/2/7.5's (gold/ blue box).  Those will put em down. Shot those for several years.

I'll take em off your hands before they spoil.

Funny story about those shells. I gave them to a friend of mine years ago that used to own the company that I called on their call team.  Last year I thought about them after seeing info on Old Gobbler. He still had them and gave them back. Hadn't shot them yet through my gun. They outta be serious out of an 870 21" kicks .655. Used to shoot them out of a Hastings .665 and they were business then.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Longshanks on January 08, 2015, 01:32:10 PM
Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 07, 2015, 10:10:05 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on January 07, 2015, 08:57:43 PM
Yup, I still have two boxes of the 3/2/7.5's (gold/ blue box).  Those will put em down. Shot those for several years.

I'll take em off your hands before they spoil.

Funny story about those shells. I gave them to a friend of mine years ago that used to own the company that I called on their call team.  Last year I thought about them after seeing info on Old Gobbler. He still had them and gave them back. Hadn't shot them yet through my gun. They outta be serious out of an 870 21" kicks .655. Used to shoot them out of a Hastings .665 and they were business then.

Think of the R&D money Federal could have saved if they reintroduced these for their short/mid/40 yard load instead of the Third degree.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Dallen92

Im sticking with my hevi 13 and fed hwts for many years.  For the price I have bought the hevi 13s and fed hwt in the past few years and after the rebates I cant even buy half a box of longbeards now as cheap as I bought my hevi shot.

TauntoHawk

Like many I still have several boxes of hevi I will shoot but won't buy more as long as the LBs shoot well. The heavier than lead wave was fun to ride while it was affordable I got a bunch at like 18 a box but 25-30 it's just not worth it
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ruger M77

Quote from: Gobble! on January 08, 2015, 11:07:46 AM

Man, what long beard shell were you using? Not to start an argument but if it was the 3" #6 long beard shell I have a very hard time believing 1.75oz of lead #6s shot better than 2oz of hevi #7s. Even if it was the 3.5" 2oz number #6s I find it hard to believe. Were you shooting at a large target to see your entire pattern? When I shot the hevi shot shells they had a different POI than lead shells.
I know I couldn't believe it either I'm shooting the 3" 1 3/4 oz 6s yes I shot at a large target I shot several patterns to make sure and the lb beat them every time that being said these were the worst patterns I've ever had with hevi 3/2/7 before they gave better patterns than I got with the Lb if I could get those patterns again I'd switch back to hevi
I eat therefore I hunt

Spring Creek Calls

The last 10 Hevi 13's I bought arrived in the same condition. The shipping box was full of buffer from 9 of the 10 shells. Had to candle wax them. My confidence level goes down with loose shot rattling around in the shell!

strutnva

I have shot Hevi 6 and 7's for years, with the cost of them now i picked up some LB 5 and 6.  Today was test day and I can say I would have no issue moving forward with the LB's.  I liked both patterns but think I will use the 5's this year.  No way a bird can walk thru the 40 yard pattern.  Looks like I will be making the switch.

grayfox

Been using Hevi-13 #6 & #7 for the past two seasons with very satisfied results. These things flat out puts the smack down on turkeys but I'm sure the LB's will do the same but I doubt they will kill as effective as the Hevi-13 at the longer ranges. But both will kill very well at the distances we should be shooting at anyway. I did have one shell leak buffer in the magazine of my gun & some in my turkey vest this past season. I put some candle wax on the end of it to seal it. This is unacceptable for a shell that cost so much. But I bought the last 4 boxes while they were on rebate so the price was not nearly as bad. That being said I ordered 2 boxes of long beards last season but cancelled my order after several weeks of back order. I would like to try some but I don't plan on switching unless I run out of Hevi-13 & the price goes up a lot more. I've just gained too much confidence in the Hevi-13 the past 2 years to switch right now. Confidence is kinda like respect, you have to earn it if you know what I mean.

paboxcall

Quote from: grayfox on January 10, 2015, 03:52:24 PM
I did have one shell leak buffer in the magazine of my gun & some in my turkey vest this past season. I put some candle wax on the end of it to seal it. This is unacceptable for a shell that cost so much.

Agreed, shouldn't have to light a candle to fix some of their shells.  Unacceptable quality for that kind of coin. 
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

budtripp

I've had really good results from hevi 6s and 7s since 2011. However I think I'm going to sell the 5 or 6 boxes I have left and use the money for some more good calls or something like that.  I bought a bunch of older Winchester double X 3.5 number 5s and they pattern quite well out of my guns. I don't shoot birds at long ranges which is where the hevi really has its advantages.  To me it's like someone shooting partitions or Barnes X bullets into deer when a plain old Sierr@  soft point will kill them just as dead. Just my opinion.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: budtripp on January 12, 2015, 10:38:30 AM
I bought a bunch of older Winchester double X 3.5 number 5s and they pattern quite well out of my guns.

I've killed a bunch of birds over the last 35+ years with those shells, in 2-3/4", 3" and 3-1/2".

timberjack86

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on December 30, 2014, 08:23:11 PM

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on December 30, 2014, 08:00:26 PM
I switched over to LB last year.  For several years before that I used hevi mag blends which  shot better then anything else until I tried the LB....my 935 loves them with a Truglo SSX choke. The LB held a better pattern out to 40 yards then the mag blends (never tested it beyond 40) and they performed great in the field. I've already ordered two boxes of LB 3 1/2 6 shot.  I believe I will be sticking with the LB for awhile.

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you shot a triplex, 5x6x7 load (mag blend) and want to compare pattern density to straight 6 longbeards? Do you fail to realize how much space the 5s are taking up in that shot cup?

A fair pattern density comparison would be hevi-13 straight 6s to longbeards straight 6s.  However, I'd bet you one of my favorite turkey guns that h13 6s will out pattern longbeard 6s day in and day out in most guns.

Furthermore, the kinetic energy of hevi 6s is far more devastating than that of lead so there really is no comparison.

Im still left shaking my head from all the responses to Ccleroy's questions. Not one makes any damn sense.
Heres the reason I switched. I like to kill turkeys within 40 yards and I want the best pattern I can get. Longbeards do both for half the price. If a turkey is past 40 yards you haven't called him up yet. Why should I spend the extra$? What advantage does hevi shot give over longbeards at 40 yards? They hit harder but dead is dead.

Spring Creek Calls

Oh boy, now they've gone and come out with a 1-7/8 oz load in 3" and a 2-1/8 oz load in 3.5", both at 1050 fps. Whatever will those devils come out with next, LB 7's? 20 ga?