OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who's Switching from Hevi 13 to LB's

Started by Spring Creek Calls, November 20, 2014, 04:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

VaTuRkStOmPeR

^^^ the difference is hevi-shot actually does have the KE to kill at 50 and 60 yards consistently.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: ccleroy on December 31, 2014, 09:16:34 AM

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on December 31, 2014, 04:59:11 AM

Quote from: davisd9 on December 30, 2014, 10:52:15 PM
Shoot what you want. Just remember after switching from HTL back to lead that you better run to your bird when he goes down, especially at 36-40 yards and anything misjudged past it.

Sent from the Strut Zone

David9 I'm sorry but I completely disagree!  All 5 long beards I shot last year was between 31-39 yards.  All 5 was dropped right in there tracks I didn't run to one bird.   Crazy distances maybe (I'm not the guy that will be doing that even with HTL) but that can also be said for HTL.   Sorry but that is a gross exaggeration! 

God bless 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok

Ok  ???
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

ccleroy

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on December 31, 2014, 10:47:02 AM

Shoot what you want. Just remember after switching from HTL back to lead that you better run to your bird when he goes down, especially at 36-40 yards and anything misjudged past it.

Sent from the Strut Zone

David9 I'm sorry but I completely disagree!  All 5 long beards I shot last year was between 31-39 yards.  All 5 was dropped right in there tracks I didn't run to one bird.   Crazy distances maybe (I'm not the guy that will be doing that even with HTL) but that can also be said for HTL.   Sorry but that is a gross exaggeration! 

God bless 

Ok

Ok  ???

Lead will kill, there's no debating that. And if that's all we had to our disposal and all realized its limitations we would be fine. All I'm saying is remember the KE you had with Hevi is not the same with lead.......not knocking you by any means.....

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on December 31, 2014, 09:58:38 AM
^^^ the difference is hevi-shot actually does have the KE to kill at 50 and 60 yards consistently.

There is no doubt in my mind that it does and I agree with you.....I also know the limitations to using the shell I shoot.   I have deep respect for my passion of turkey hunting and if it's not within the appropriate range Im letting it walk.  I'm not saying HTL isn't a good its great for hunting but I also believe the LB complete the task very well that I need them for.

God bless

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: ccleroy on December 31, 2014, 10:49:57 AM

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on December 31, 2014, 10:47:02 AM

Sent from the Strut Zone

God bless 

Ok

Ok  ???

Lead will kill, there's no debating that. And if that's all we had to our disposal and all realized its limitations we would be fine. All I'm saying is remember the KE you had with Hevi is not the same with lead.......not knocking you by any means.....

ccleroy...buddy I'm not knocking you either and wouldn't want you to think that for nothing!  I do agree with what your saying and there is limitations to both.  It's sad that some don't respect the game we pursue and use good judgement...and it happens with all game animals unfortunately!   I also do not in anyway agree with what Winchester puts on there box in regards to the effective range is garbage and can miss lead someone that doesn't know better or have learned the difference and better yet the truth!   I still own hevi shot and it will always have a place with me.....I'm sure not writing off completely just pushing it back for a bit!

God bless

paboxcall

I think, IMO, that both HTL shooters and lead shooters - who participate on this forum - understand that an advertisement like the one below there's plenty reason to be concerned.

I hunt public ground that is a couple hundred thousand acres, and run into a lot of hunters during the course of a season.  Most, in my personal experience, hunt only with a factory xfull choke tube, or a standard full choke.

They have no idea what POA vs. POI means.

They have no tested and established maximum range.

They walk into box stores and buy the box of shells with a turkey on them.  They may read on that box that they can kill a turkey with 10% greater efficiency than the other box of shells sitting on the shelf.

They walk to a gobbling turkey and at first chance pull the trigger with a false sense of confidence in the gun and shell combination.

That is very concerning.  I don't believe anyone who participates on a forum like this would do that, but your average, run of the mill hunt a Saturday or two per year hunter very well may.

No reason for us to argue about it.  Perhaps instead its up to us to help educate those who really don't know any better if and when the opportunity presents itself in the field or at camp.

Just my thoughts on this HTL vs. lead discussions.

Quote from: ccleroy on December 31, 2014, 09:34:06 AM

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

SpitNDrumN

40 yards is a playing around shot with long beards. We skinned out a birds head last year that my dad shot at 37 yards and every pellet passed completely through his head and was in a white pine right behind the birds head pellets passed through dead center mass of the skull. It picked him up and tucked his head under his body and he never flopped. He didn't even death flop or kick when he picked him up. I've shot hevi shot for 5-6 years now. I love mag blends. I shoot fed heavyweight 7's in my 20. But 40 yards with long beards in my set up is child's play. It completely dumps and up ends gobblers. I myself haven't killed a bird with long beards yet. But watching what it does on paper and what it done to my dads bird and another bird he killed it's devastating for copper plated for $21 a box for ten. The dense even patterns just flat out kill. I my self have halfway crossed over. I put a mag blend in my chamber and load my magazine up with long beards. I have complete faith in my set up with long beards to ranges we're not allowed to talk about on here. But myself I don't like to shot long distance. That's why I get out of bed and hunt the hateful bastards is to fool him and shoot him at 20 steps and put the wad and all right beside his head. I get a lot of pleasure out of that. But I spend lots of money and time with my guns at the range and testing on paper and penetration test on soup cans and I know what my gun/load/choke combo is and isn't capable of so when the time arises I know if it's a green light on pulling the trigger or not. I love everything about spring gobbler hunting and I take it very serious and I don't get up 2-3 hours before daylight, drive to where I'm hunting, walk to where I want to be before daylight to play around. I'm there to kill and punch time clocks on gobblers heads. I'm not scared to spend money on shells and I don't make a lot of money. It's nice knowing I can stock up on very capable shells like long beards. What I really wish is Federal would do away with flite control wad and sell a 3" 2oz load of straight heavyweight 7's with a regular wad. I'd spend $500 right now on a lifetime supply of that if it would happen one day. But I'm getting way of subject I think a couple times in my response lol sorry. What I meant to say is yes Long beards are very capable 40 yard shells for sure and between me and the fence post their very capable a few steps farther but I won't say that number. There is no denying that hevi shot is bad medicine and federal HW is the baddest thing behind hand loading tss. What it boils down to is spend time at the range know what your gun can and can't do and go hunting. Gob bless and I hope everyone puts it on several red, white, and blue heads this coming spring. Keep your cheek down, squeeze the trigger, don't flinch or close your eyes and let the gobblers die.

Longshanks

Shooting 40yds or less I have been able to turn awesome patterns that kill efficiently with HTL and lead. The LB's make lead even more effective inside 40yds due to pattern density. I have seen less than satisfactory results guiding with hunters trying to take shots at 50,60yds. Best results come from shooting inside 40yds no matter what gun/choke/shell combo. Too many factors in the woods: low light conditions, saplings, limbs, wind, misjudged distances, temp/ pattern variations, hunter excitement, a wild animal that can move,  etc. just my experience with 40 years of turkey hunting.

SpitNDrumN

I completely agree with you 100%. I prefer 30 yard shoots myself.

strutnva

I have read this whole thread and agree with many points, but back to the original question.  I haven't moved from Hevi to the LB yet but I'm sure gonna get some and shoot a few to see how they perform.  I just cant get past $6  a shell, seems a bit much in my opinion.

paturkeyhntr

When my HS is gone, I am switching to LB....

paboxcall

Quote from: paturkeyhntr on January 06, 2015, 10:10:54 AM
When my HS is gone, I am switching to LB....

Not me, I have a big stash of Hevi 3-2-7, and I really have no interest in shooting lead anymore.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

stinkpickle

I might just switch back to my old Fed #7 1/2s.