turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who's Switching from Hevi 13 to LB's

Started by Spring Creek Calls, November 20, 2014, 04:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

01Foreman400

Got a huge stash of Nitro ammo for my 12 gauges. TSS for my 20 gauges.  Don't see myself going back to lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

01Foreman400

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on December 29, 2014, 08:23:55 AM
Lead isn't hevi shot..... Why anyone would ever switch back to a lesser product is beyond me!

Beats me.  Ammo is the least expensive thing about my hunting. 

Huntin Fool From Georgia!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Seriously... Shoot 5-10 turkeys a spring and it costs 60 bucks in hevi or 100 in Nitros.  You spend more on fuel getting to and from the field. 
The actual shot is the most undervalued component of the killing process. Lead doesn't  have the kinetic energy nor the long range pattern density. I want the best stuff I can afford coming out of my barrels when I squeeze the trigger.

ccleroy

Lead isn't hevi shot..... Why anyone would ever switch back to a lesser product is beyond me!

I'm scanning through the thread thinking the same thing, I mean lead kills but you guys that used to shoot Hevj and HW, why did you switch fro lead to HTL?

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: ccleroy on December 30, 2014, 07:54:03 AM

I'm scanning through the thread thinking the same thing, I mean lead kills but you guys that used to shoot Hevj and HW, why did you switch fro lead to HTL?

I switched from lead to HTL because I could not get consistent pattern density from lead beyond the 35- 40 yard marker. With the patterns I'm getting from LB 6's, I'll be more than comfortable taking that 40+ shot, if needed.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on December 30, 2014, 02:11:47 PM

I switched from lead to HTL because I could not get consistent pattern density from lead beyond the 35- 40 yard marker. With the patterns I'm getting from LB 6's, I'll be more than comfortable taking that 40+ shot, if needed.

This is the problem with longbeards. 

All you guys think you now have a lead load that will kill turkey 10/10 times at 45-50 yards and it won't.

There is so much talk about "ethics" on this board but longbeards isn't the ethical shell to be shooting at birds in the 40+ range. It has made lead a reliable 40 yard killer where in the past lead was really only consistently effective in the 35-40 range. They haven't changed the antimony of the metal and therefore, the laws of physics don't support 40+ yard applications.  It's still lead, dude.

ccleroy

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on December 30, 2014, 03:23:27 PM

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on December 30, 2014, 02:11:47 PM

This is the problem with longbeards. 

All you guys think you now have a lead load that will kill turkey 10/10 times at 45-50 yards and it won't.

There is so much talk about "ethics" on this board but longbeards isn't the ethical shell to be shooting at birds in the 40+ range. It has made lead a reliable 40 yard killer where in the past lead was really only consistently effective in the 35-40 range. They haven't changed the antimony of the metal and therefore, the laws of physics don't support 40+ yard applications.  It's still lead, dude.

This is what I was getting at........the bad thing about it is Winchester Markets it as a "Longer Range Shell".......it's a shame to be honest.....lead is still lead.

Spring Creek Calls

The decision for me to hunt with a particular turkey load has nothing to do with marketing. It has everything to do with how a particular load patterns at the range, time after time. From what I've seen in the patterning section, many have also done their homework.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

VA_Birdhunter

I switched over to LB last year.  For several years before that I used hevi mag blends which  shot better then anything else until I tried the LB....my 935 loves them with a Truglo SSX choke. The LB held a better pattern out to 40 yards then the mag blends (never tested it beyond 40) and they performed great in the field. I've already ordered two boxes of LB 3 1/2 6 shot.  I believe I will be sticking with the LB for awhile.

God bless

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on December 30, 2014, 08:00:26 PM
I switched over to LB last year.  For several years before that I used hevi mag blends which  shot better then anything else until I tried the LB....my 935 loves them with a Truglo SSX choke. The LB held a better pattern out to 40 yards then the mag blends (never tested it beyond 40) and they performed great in the field. I've already ordered two boxes of LB 3 1/2 6 shot.  I believe I will be sticking with the LB for awhile.

God bless

So you shot a triplex, 5x6x7 load (mag blend) and want to compare pattern density to straight 6 longbeards? Do you fail to realize how much space the 5s are taking up in that shot cup?

A fair pattern density comparison would be hevi-13 straight 6s to longbeards straight 6s.  However, I'd bet you one of my favorite turkey guns that h13 6s will out pattern longbeard 6s day in and day out in most guns.

Furthermore, the kinetic energy of hevi 6s is far more devastating than that of lead so there really is no comparison.

Im still left shaking my head from all the responses to Ccleroy's questions. Not one makes any damn sense.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on December 30, 2014, 08:23:11 PM

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on December 30, 2014, 08:00:26 PM

God bless

So you shot a triplex, 5x6x7 load (mag blend) and want to compare pattern density to straight 6 longbeards? Do you fail to realize how much space the 5s are taking up in that shot cup?

A fair pattern density comparison would be hevi-13 straight 6s to longbeards straight 6s.  However, I'd bet you one of my favorite turkey guns that h13 6s will out pattern longbeard 6s day in and day out in most guns.

Furthermore, the kinetic energy of hevi 6s is far more devastating than that of lead so there really is no comparison.

Im still left shaking my head from all the responses to Ccleroy's questions. Not one makes any damn sense.

VaTuRkStOmPeR...first of all slow steady breaths there bud!! 

Second I was answering the questions posed by Spring Creek Calls as you can see I never responded to you prior rants...as on most occasions I don't reply to or get involved in the on line arguments/rants unless its totally against my core beliefs of turkey hunting.   I just love talking turkey, calls, hunts etc.   

Third I will take a more consistent even pattern over  kinetic energy....a canon ball has more kinetic energy then hevi shot maybe I should take it! 

Fourth I also shot LB against Hevi 6 shot it also had a better consistent pattern out to 40 yrds over Hevi 6 shot in "MY" gun.

Fifth I never even mentioned kinetic energy I know all about it and have shot hevi shot for years...I shot it the first year it ever hit the market....does it have more then LB yes in my opinion it does but the better consistent pattern made the difference for me.

Sixth I never asked anyone to switch to LB or persuade them to switch or asked you to switch....I stated what worked for me and why.

Lastly if you want to shot hevi shot or nitro by all means have at it....but my reasons for change makes a lot of sense for me.  You see the hunt is about the experience weather I take a bird out or leave him thundering on a ridge top.  Since the kill is not the #1 thing to me I will not chance taking a shot I don't think is capable of cleanly killing a gobbler.  Over my 24 years of hunting I've let many walk that I'm sure others would take a shot at.  I can sit for hours listening to the spring woods and turkeys gobbling and talking around me...and sharing countless hours with my hunting buddies and Christian brothers that's what its about.  Do I like bagging long beards?  You beat but there is WAY more to it then that!  Also before its even brought up I don't agree with the 60 yard claim by Winchester but I don't own the company so I have no control over what they print on the box.   You would be hard pressed to find someone that loves turkey hunting more then me and I truly mean that I devote countless hours and days to this passion and addiction year round not just during or before season.....and have no problem knowing if a shot is ethical or not so we won't go there....but remember the best gun, choke and shell can leave a turkey wounded and left to waste.....there is nothing certain on this earth!  Your free to have your opinion but so am I and I don't need your approval to chose my shell of choice.  You might want to consider a stress reliever...just say in!   

God Bless

davisd9

Shoot what you want. Just remember after switching from HTL back to lead that you better run to your bird when he goes down, especially at 36-40 yards and anything misjudged past it.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: davisd9 on December 30, 2014, 10:52:15 PM
Shoot what you want. Just remember after switching from HTL back to lead that you better run to your bird when he goes down, especially at 36-40 yards and anything misjudged past it.

Sent from the Strut Zone

David9 I'm sorry but I completely disagree!  All 5 long beards I shot last year was between 31-39 yards.  All 5 was dropped right in there tracks I didn't run to one bird.   Crazy distances maybe (I'm not the guy that will be doing that even with HTL) but that can also be said for HTL.   Sorry but that is a gross exaggeration! 

God bless 

davisd9

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on December 31, 2014, 04:59:11 AM

Sent from the Strut Zone

David9 I'm sorry but I completely disagree!  All 5 long beards I shot last year was between 31-39 yards.  All 5 was dropped right in there tracks I didn't run to one bird.   Crazy distances maybe (I'm not the guy that will be doing that even with HTL) but that can also be said for HTL.   Sorry but that is a gross exaggeration! 

God bless 

You are welcome to disagree but I have shot and seen enough shot with lead and HTL to see the difference in the bird being hit with shot. I have absolutely no reason to grossly over exaggerate . I am just throwing out a warning to be ready after to shoot with a lead shell. I am mostly speaking of #6 lead by the way, should clarify that, but have seen #5 do it as well. If you have never done the stunned bird shuffle then you have never lived, haha..

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ccleroy

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on December 31, 2014, 04:59:11 AM

Sent from the Strut Zone

God bless 

Ok