turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbling in OHio

Started by darron, March 19, 2011, 05:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

I know it's still early, but is anyone out listening yet? I enjoy hearing them gobble as much as pulling the trigger on one. I made the trip down to the farm today. It's been a month since I pulled my cards and I also needed to frost seed some left over clover I had in the garage. I hit the road ths morning about 5:45am, but got down there a little later than I liked. I pulled into my lower gate at 7:30 to frost seed one of my food plots while the ground was still somewhat froze. When I got out to unlock the gate I heard a hen justing tearing it up up above one of my lower food plots. She was cutting and yelping like crazy. Soon after a series of cuts I heard what sounded like 2-3 birds fire off. They did this twice and then I never heard them again. I brought my lap top with me and from my cam pics what I was hearing was probably jakes more than likely. I have a flock of about 7-9 jakes running together. I have yet to see a longbeard on camera, all jake birds. I am also getting as many as 30-40 hens in one flock still.

Nonetheless, it was neat to hear them gobble. It should really ramp up from here on out. I usually hear the most gobbling around the first week of April.

Something else that surprised me was that I still have bucks holding antlers.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

870FaceLift

I havent heard a peep in SW Ohio.  Just pullled my trail cams and also have bucks still holding antlers...strange.  Much like you said, I have many pics of a group of 5 jakes.  No toms yet.  I cant wait for opening day though!  Seeing alll these pics of others' fortunate openers just gets me pumped!
Pass it on...

AndyH

Have been going to listen every weekend this month and have heard birds gobble every time out. It's getting closer. Wish this weather would straighten out for more than a couple days at a time.