OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Mouth Calls

Started by ChasinTails27, November 10, 2014, 06:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswatter

Gooserbat double bit and gooserbat bacon

jg

Quote from: Gooserbat on November 13, 2014, 11:10:11 AM
I'm bias but I like Gooserbat.  Try my Bacon call, there is a reason I sell a tone of them, easy to use, light-medum rasp, and they call turkeys.  I also have 9 others to pick from.
bacon lead and turkey made me hungry so i just ordered a bacon
Ozark beard busters

Bowguy

I just got a few Hooks calls a few days back. I gotta be honest, I haven't tried every call out there but I've tried a lot. Hooks are the easiest to use, no break in required calls I've ever seen.
They do everything perfect. Awesome calls. We'll field test em soon

jg

Quote from: Sadler McGraw on January 28, 2015, 09:35:50 AM
I appreciate the kinds words about my mouth calls.   

Some of you may know this, but Steve Kinder (XT Calls)  is no longer making calls.  He is referring many of his old clients to me.  So if you were an XT fan, give me a shout here and I will try to get you something that your are familiar with running.

I would be interested in getting one of your calls,can you let me know how i can get one?
Sadler
Ozark beard busters

tomswatter

Give the bacon a try by gooserbat game calls. Easy to use with light-medium rasp

ncturkey

I use many different brands of mouth calls. I think it is a personal preference on what cuts and number of reeds, thickness of reeds. I have tried almost every major brand of mouth calls. Personally I like the Hooks Brand of mouth calls. They fit my palette well. The calls are really consistent in sound for me. The good thing about Hooks and some the new custom call companies is that they will custom make calls to your liking. To me it does not get any better than that. But in past have gotten some good calls from HS Strut, Knight and Hale, Quaker Boy, MADD and Perfection Calls to name a few. But from call to call the mass produced calls are not consistant. My old favorites were the Preston Pittman Black Diamond, Chris Parrish's Signature Call. My faviorites from Hooks are The Pro, The Finisher, The Inpersonator, Executioner and etc. I use to try and run the Primos True Double and to me that is a mouth full of a mouth call. But those that can run that call it sounds great. Just remember that every mouth call will not be for everyone. They must fit your mouth and seal to play well. Plus the call must be made well and consistently to produce good turkey calls. Have had to go through 100's of calls to find out which work for me.

Hillbilly yelper

I have a bad addiction for mouth calls now for over 25 years! Dropped over $400.00 at the 2015 NWTF on mouth calls alone! So far I'm impressed with Pollards original batwing III! Getting ready to place an order for some more Pollards! Also liking the Woodhaven red wasp, it's a great sharp sounding cutter! Good luck in your find!
Tim
New email: lmurdock@k12.wv.us

GED6531

I like Scott Ellis's calls from woodhaven (the yellow venom and his signature series specifically). I have my own press now, so I will be trying my own as well.

Marc

I never really put much thought into it before.  I always bought a bunch of  H.S. Strutt and Primos diaphragm calls from WingSupply each year (as well as a few other name-brands), cause they were cheap, and fit my pallet well... 

I carefully cleaned and stored each call in the refrigerator last year, took them out, and the latex was loose on all of them...

I also noticed, I would find a call that ran well, and order another, and it would not sound the same...  I found this to be very frustrating..

So this season I ordered some Woodhaven calls and some Gooserbrat calls...   I just got the Woodhaven calls, and could not believe the difference in sound quality.  I am looking forward to getting the Gooserbrat calls as well...

I talked to the owner of Gooserbrat, discussed the type of hunting and birds I am hunting, and he recommended several calls that he thought would fit my needs.  I am looking forward to getting these calls.  He was pleasant and helpful, and eager to talk to me about hunting.

I have a sneaking suspicion that any of the custom made diaphragms are going to be superior to the big-name brands...  Probably what I will do in the future, is to go with a call I like from the previous season, and order a couple of calls from a different custom call maker.  Hopefully I will be able to find some calls that fit my pallet and calling style...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

jg

thanks for some of the recommendations,I have ordered some calls from goose and sadler and picked up another called the preacher,these are all new to me.I have been using primos and quaker boy along with a few others in the last few years.
Ozark beard busters

Marc

Quote from: jg on February 25, 2015, 07:55:56 AM
thanks for some of the recommendations,I have ordered some calls from goose and sadler and picked up another called the preacher,these are all new to me.I have been using primos and quaker boy along with a few others in the last few years.

As a former user of name-brand calls myself, I would be curious as to your thoughts on the sound quality differences you perceive after getting the custom calls.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

budtripp

Hooks and Gooserbat diaphragms for me.

allchokedup

I keep a pretty good size collection of different calls and I like the different sounds I can get from each one. But when season rolls around, I lean on the Red Wasp (ghost cut) from Woodhaven.

Footballer

Hook's Executioner 2 and Game Changer 3 are the best I've ever used!