turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Grouse Hunting....My Season So Far!

Started by VA_Birdhunter, November 09, 2014, 10:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

I don't deer hunt and gave it up many years ago.  But I decided the birds were for me so I stuck with turkey and grouse hunting....and love both more than words can say and I thank God he allows me to do both!!  Grouse hunting is what gets me through the fall/winter.  With out it I would probably go crazy.  I start my season off in the North Woods then back home in VA & WV.  I have been grouse hunting since I was 9 yrs old....when I first started I followed my dad in the woods without a gun.  Just like turkey hunting the first time out I was hooked!!!!!   I've now owned, hunted, trained and raised english setters for many years and the Lord has blessed me with some really good dogs and hunts.  I figured I would share some pics of my season so far.  Warning its picture heavy.  Hope you enjoy them....I didn't get to take as many since my buddy and I had three pups with us two being from my 2013 litter....working with pups keeps me well occupied!! 

God bless

North woods early morning hunt.  Two of my setters Patches (mom) and Sadie (daughter).

After our first morning hunt.

Patches pointing a North Woods grouse.

Patches pointing another North Woods grouse.

A successful evening hunt.

Appalachian MTN grouse below

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Deputy 14

Awesome. If you want to drive to Boone I can put your dogs on a bunch of them. They're a blast to hunt.

VA_Birdhunter

Deputy I'd love to!!!  Would love to take ya on a hunt!  Will see if we can't work that out sometime in the near future!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgm1955

Congrats on some great hunts with some fine looking dogs!!

VA_Birdhunter

chadly

That looks like fun.  I used to hunt them when I was in high school in northern MN.  They taste wonderful and have large breast for the size of the bird.  The only issue is trying to shoot them in the timber/brush.  Having a good pointing dog is the ticket. 

Spring Creek Calls

Great pictures! I've hunted behind both pointers and flushers, I'll take the pointers any day.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

slamman

great pictures thanks for sharing.  What shotgun do you use gauge/load/chokes?  I love hunting over dogs especially in that tight cover, you need to learn to shoot around and through those tree's, I like using a 28g Beretta O/U with Briley skeet and improved chokes.

AndyH

love the pics. They bring back a lot of memories. Used to chase grouse every weekend during the season as a kid with my dad and our Brittany's

West Augusta

I sure miss grouse hunting with Dad, Uncle Don and cousin Mike.  Don and Mike have passed on and Dad doesn't hunt anymore.
He's doing well for 82 just can't run the hills anymore.  We haven't had any grouse in this part of the state in 10 years.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: chadly on November 10, 2014, 12:48:43 PM
That looks like fun.  I used to hunt them when I was in high school in northern MN.  They taste wonderful and have large breast for the size of the bird.  The only issue is trying to shoot them in the timber/brush.  Having a good pointing dog is the ticket.

I love grouse hunting Chadly thank God he allows me to do it in the fall!!  I love it just as much as spring gobbler....the only thing different to me is grouse tastes better...don't get me wrong I still love me some turkey!!!!

God Bless

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: slamman on November 10, 2014, 06:29:13 PM
great pictures thanks for sharing.  What shotgun do you use gauge/load/chokes?  I love hunting over dogs especially in that tight cover, you need to learn to shoot around and through those tree's, I like using a 28g Beretta O/U with Briley skeet and improved chokes.

Thank you slamman!  I use an A5 Light 12 and 20....its what I've been using since I was a kid and love them!!!!!  I have owned many throughout my days of grouse hunting.   My current 12 has a skeet choke and my 20 has an improved.  I use Remington Long Range Express shells....I've been using them for many years now and really like them.  I have also used 7 1/2 shot for the past few years and will be going back to 6 shot again I believe.  Is that you short hair in the picture?  Great picture by the way!!!!

God Bless

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: AndyH on November 10, 2014, 07:44:36 PM
love the pics. They bring back a lot of memories. Used to chase grouse every weekend during the season as a kid with my dad and our Brittany's

Andy...thats how I got started following my dad when I was 9 yrs old before I even carried a gun.  I loved it from day one and soon after had my own pup and migrated into setters (ryman type) and haven't looked back.  Now I raise them and love it!

God Bless

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: West Augusta on November 10, 2014, 08:06:56 PM
I sure miss grouse hunting with Dad, Uncle Don and cousin Mike.  Don and Mike have passed on and Dad doesn't hunt anymore.
He's doing well for 82 just can't run the hills anymore.  We haven't had any grouse in this part of the state in 10 years.

Augusta grouse sure is spotty in the Appalachian mountains for sure....its taken alot of walking and shoe leather to find the covers I hunt!

God Bless

VA_Birdhunter

The Lord blessed me to be able to get out he past two days.  We found good numbers of birds and was able to bag three.

The cover (what its like hunting Grouse in the Appalachian mountains).

Mondays bag.

Today's bag.

God Bless