OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Neil Cost Paddle Calls - "One of Four" Walnut still available and reduced

Started by Collector, November 09, 2014, 05:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collector

I have decided to part with what have to be the two best and rarest calls in my collection. I got both of these directly from Neil about 25 years ago. I concede they are not cheap, nor should they be, and I am reluctant to sell them at any price. But here they are. The first is a Butternut call inscribed by Neil:"This old Butternut Boat Paddle made as a test of the wood from Ontario Canada Oct. 1988 For my own use. Neil D. Cost."

The second is one of only four Walnut paddle calls that I'm aware of having ever been made by Neil. A collector friend of mine has two of those. I don't know where the other is located. This call is inscribed" This old Walnut Paddle Call is the fourth one I have made. Started 5-89 Finished 1-92. For both Spring and Fall. Neil D. Cost"

Neil traded me these two calls for a new turkey gun that he fancied. Neither is inscribed to an individual. At the time I think he was selling paddle calls for about $200 if you could get one from him, but he told me he had turned down an offer of 5 times that amount for the walnut call.

OK, here are the prices and I make no apology. I will frankly be a bit relieved if I keep them. I am only offering them now as we are looking at a new home and the sale would help a bit. Even at that, I'd prefer only to sell one and keep the other, but they are both for sale. The Butternut "For my own use" call is $3,000 and the Walnut is $6,000.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like additional photos.

Thank you for looking.

mgm1955

Beautiful calls Jack!! Good luck!!

Collector

Attached is a photo with a closer view of the inscriptions.

Thanks again.

Jack

outdoors

YUP THEY ARE NICE LOOKING CALLS   :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Britton40

Lamar Williams has a walnut paddle I believe.

Collector

Well that would solve the mystery about where the fourth walnut paddle call is. Thanks for letting me know.

GSLAM95

Although I don't know if Lamar has one of Neils Walnut paddles I do know Lamar makes a fine Walnut paddle call himself as I have one and it has been responsible for the death of many gobblers over the years.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Collector

Amen to that. I imagine there is none better. I hunted with my Butternut longbox from Lamar for years. Sat on it one day in the woods and split the paddle full lengthwise. Broke my heart, but I glued it back together and it sounded as strong as ever. In my view, all of Lamar's calls are as good as they come.

Collector

The Butternut call has been committed. The Walnut (one of 4 known) is still available.

Collector

I've been given a home improvement wish list by the household "chairperson". As ealier posted, the Butternut paddle call has been sold, but if anyone is interested, I am reducing the Walnut call (one of only four known) from the original asking price of $6,000 to $4,500, if it can be sold by January 1.
Many thanks for all the kind comments I have received on both calls, and I wish all members of the forum the happiest and healthiest of Christmas seasons.