turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Choke Evaluation Project

Started by allaboutshooting, November 06, 2014, 11:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

Well...it looks like I may have 24-26 different chokes to evaluate with the WLB shells. This has turned into a major project with most manufacturers wanting to participate.

It will be the most comprehensive evaluation that I've done, or have read anywhere about of the major brands of chokes, in the configurations that the makers consider their best, for a particular shell.

It will take some time and will be somewhat weather dependent but I believe the results will be beneficial to all of us as turkey hunters.

Please bear with me as I launch this project.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

CrustyRusty

I'd like to be your orthopaedic surgeon Clark... ::)   :lol:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: CrustyRusty on November 06, 2014, 11:31:10 PM
I'd like to be your orthopaedic surgeon Clark... ::)   :lol:

I have one and he's become a good friend. All the shooting over the years has taken a toll on my body. My back is overdeveloped on one side and underdeveloped on the other. The torque to the right shoulder that turns my body each time I shoot has been documented.

Years of physical therapy have not helped to compensate. I spend some time in the gym 3 days each week working on groups of muscles that help strengthen my support and shooting arms and back muscles.

My major concern used to be my eyes. Shooting as many high power loads as I do each year, I had a concern about detached retinas. Many of my friends in this business have had that problem. I have been fortunate, so far, and my eyes are healthy.

I've been doing this for a very long time now.

It's the downside of the career that I have chosen but every job has some perils. I enjoy what I do and would not want to trade it for any other job I can imagine.

Thanks,
Clark

3" 870 Shell Shucker

This stuff is so much fun, and seemingly so harmless; that it's hard to think about any side-efects from high-volume shooting.  But, I suppose that anything in life has some risk associated with it.

Will you be doing any testing with 3 inch out of a Remington 870?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on November 09, 2014, 06:28:10 PM
This stuff is so much fun, and seemingly so harmless; that it's hard to think about any side-efects from high-volume shooting.  But, I suppose that anything in life has some risk associated with it.

The volume of shells is the real culprit. I've been shooting way too many turkey loads for the past 15 years, year after year. Early on, I did not use much in the way of recoil protection. All but a very few shells have been shot off my right shoulder with a variety of guns, some of which are pretty unpleasant. Now most of my guns are equipped with very good, the best I can find, recoil pads and I use EvoShield as well. It really helps but a lot of damage has been done and nothing can be done about that. I have no regrets however because I really enjoy what I do.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 29810434 on November 09, 2014, 06:32:32 PM
Will you be doing any testing with 3 inch out of a Remington 870?

Yes. I've already done some and will do more. I plan to use an 11-87 strictly for reduced recoil but have found that I see similar results with 870s as well. They just kick a little more.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Some folks have asked about the makeup of the chokes that will be evaluated with WLB shells.

I asked each manufacturer to submit the choke that he thought worked best with the #6 shot WLB shells. Manufacturers could submit more than one exit diameter or thread type.

Since I have shotguns that use Rem-Choke, Win-Choke/Invector, Invector+, Benelli Mobil, Benelli Crio and Mossberg Accu-Mag chokes, they could submit chokes for any of these guns.

Two manufacturers make chokes specifically for WLB shells and they submitted chokes designed specifically for them.

Otherwise manufacturers may rely upon their experience or that of their customers. I am relying upon their judgement for their submissions.

Thanks,
Clark

Walkerz07

Thank you for your work. Can't wait to see the outcome!!

Bigspurs68

Sounds like it's gonna be interesting.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

allaboutshooting

It is a major project by any estimation. It will be as comprehensive as I know how to make it and hopefully it will be helpful to anyone who is looking to maximize the performance of their turkey gun.

Thanks,
Clark

Snoodsniper

Clark, That sounds like quite a project. I'm sure you are aware of and probably already own a lead sled. It has made patterning my turkey guns a lot less painful. One 25 lb bag of shot is what I use and 2 would be better. I respect you but in this case I don't envy you!! Good luck and I can't wait to read your results.  SS

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Snoodsniper on November 27, 2014, 10:28:18 AM
Clark, That sounds like quite a project. I'm sure you are aware of and probably already own a lead sled. It has made patterning my turkey guns a lot less painful. One 25 lb bag of shot is what I use and 2 would be better. I respect you but in this case I don't envy you!! Good luck and I can't wait to read your results.  SS

Yes, it is quite a project. A bit more than I had anticipated when I started thinking about it.

Over the years I've published "Product Test" articles on a number of rests that reduce recoil including a couple that used hydraulics to allow the gun to move, prevent damage to it,  and that had remote triggers. I used them to evaluate them as a product and they did work quite well. When we moved to South Carolina, I gave a number of those rests to friends and don't currently have any that absorb the recoil.

For whatever reason, I'm most comfortable just shooting off my right shoulder. I do use the EvoShield shooting system and that helps greatly but I still am affected by the torque.

It's my hope that the information that I gather will allow others to make an informed choice of what would seem to work best for them. It will be as comprehensive as I know how to make it.

Thanks,
Clark

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Are Rhino and Indian Creek in the mix?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on November 27, 2014, 07:14:12 PM
Are Rhino and Indian Creek in the mix?

Indian Creek chokes are but Rhino is not.

Thanks,
Clark