turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My First DIY Archery Target

Started by REBELYELL, October 10, 2014, 12:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REBELYELL

After seeing several of these on Archerytalk, I decided to make one. You can also purchase preprinted skins from Thirdhandarchery, but they cost more than my total investment in this one.

Just got to trim it out and then shoot it. I made the main frame from 2x8's and the target area 36" x 36" outside to outside with 48" legs. Next, I added chicken wire to one side and then laid it down flat with the wire on the bottom. I put a double layer of cardboard box material down first. Next, I added a single layer of foam puzzle pcs from my son's junk box. I then put down several layers of old clothes and rags that I had cut down to small strips. After packing the layers down tight, I finished stuffing the box with shrink wrap collected from work. I crammed the box full and then put another double layer of cardboard box material on top before adding the chicken wire to the top side. I debated over using weed block fabric or burlap as the skin before I stumbled across a roll of pet screen mesh at Wally World. It is very similar to window screen material, but much thicker. If it doesn't hold up, I will have to replace it with something else, but it appears to be very durable. It came 36" wide and the roll was just enough to cover both sides. I added a 2x8 turned up edge way to the bottom of each leg to support the frame. It turned out to be pretty sturdy, but it is definitely heavy. I got to figure out a way to add some wheels to move it around easier. I painted a five spot on one side with a larger dot in the middle for longer distant shooting. I painted about a dozen of the smaller dots on the opposite side to move my shots around. I need to cut a hole in the top to add stuffing in the future and find a cover for it to keep it from soaking up additional weight. I only shoot 60# at 280 FPS so I think it will work fine.

catdaddy

Candyman

Looks very good Jody.  You will have fun sighting in your new bow sight!

mgm1955

Looks great! Let us know how it works. :icon_thumright:

REBELYELL

Well, it works great. I got it trimmed out and now just need to shorten the leg supports and add some wheels to move it around. The cardboard layer made it pretty loud, but it stopped my arrows with ease and they were easy to remove. Not sure about my skin choice as my arrows left bullet holes in the mesh. I might get a set from Thirdhandarchery when I have to repack in the future. For the little bit of coin invested, I am very satisfied with it.

SinGin

Looks nice. I bought a set of skins from third hand to make a 4x4 target, just trying to still fill it with enough clothes. Does the shrink wrap really work that well?

alclark2

Hoosier Hunt n Fish

tomstopper

Quote from: SinGin on October 11, 2014, 06:05:31 PM
Looks nice. I bought a set of skins from third hand to make a 4x4 target, just trying to still fill it with enough clothes. Does the shrink wrap really work that well?
Shrink wrap works great. When I was a teenager, I filled a box with it, then wrapped the outside of the box with duct tape and just painted a circle on it and it lasted forever (shot at it for at least 4 years).

fl panhandler

I cut skins from an old trampoline that a friend was throwing out. It worked very well, was cheap and is going on three years. The trampoline was big enough I could make two 4X4 targets with it.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

scoot12

awesome Jody,  looks cool. Scoot