turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Great day with my brother!!

Started by BOFF, March 19, 2011, 01:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

I have a friend, though only knowing him for a little over 5 years, I can't imagine not knowing him, as he and I are like brothers, almost to the day we met. He would do anything, and has done so, for me and my family. A once in a lifetime buddy, who I know will always be there for me, or anyone else he knows. So being, he is more than a friend but a brother to me.  We hunt when ever our schedules allow, and this Friday was no exception.

We didn't hear any gobbling where we first went to listen, and by 6:50 we decided to go elsewhere on a higher point to listen. Once there, we heard one gobble, and determined where to set up. We positioned the decoys "Goober" and "Henrietta" for him to be the lead gun, as I had already connected on a hunt with him on Wednesday, and the calling began.

I made a series of 4 sets of calls at 7:05, 7:20, 7:35, and 7:50. We heard nothing, but by 7:55 I saw a red head about 150 yards across the green field, in some sage grass, headed our way. Mark was looking away, and I whispered to him. He turned and I got his attention to his right side, and he slowly moved. The gobbler was being followed by a jake, and the gobbler halfway strutted in the field when all of a sudden his attention got locked on "Goober" and "Henrietta" and he turned on the gears as fast as he could waddle from side to side for the 125 yards. I could almost hear him thinking to himself, "Oh NO YOU DON'T, Oh noooooo YOU don't go strutting in my territory!!!"

He ran up to "Goober" in a strutt and faced him almost head on, and did that quick spin to the right and came up behind "Goober" and flogged him. Poor "Goober", he hit the ground hard!!  

BOOOOMMM!! A little late to save "Goober",  but I guess at 15 short steps it was better for "Goober" to have been in the dirt before the load of #7 H13 went flying through the air.

What a bird, one of the best I have ever been personally involved with on a hunt!! I"m ticked and proud for my brother, and Blessed to have the friend, opportunity, and chance to hunt!!

Thanks again Joe (TRKYHTR) for the decoys "Goober" and "Henrietta", Scott @ Hooks Calls, and Mike Yingling for the gorgeous looking and sounding spalted maple pot call.

Bird scores 66.83  Weighed 21.83 pounds, 1 1/8 spurs, and 11 1/4" beard.

Love you brother!!

God Bless,
David B.

alloutdoors

Nice bird, looks like you guys had a great hunt!  :icon_thumright: :z-guntootsmiley:

redarrow

Thats awesome man. Your Bro looks like he about to strain his .@#%$#% weighing that brute. Congrats to you both.

Hognutz

Congratulations, David and David's brother. That is the way it is supposed to work out. Great story and great pictures. That is a beautiful bird, by the way.. Well done, Boys..Mike  :you_rock: :fud: :newmascot:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

handcannon

Congratulations on a great hunt and great bird. It's good you have someone that your close with to share that sort of memories with. Ya know, looking at you two, yall could pass for brothers.

Basser69

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ncturkey

Awesome story. Great limbhanger. Congrat's too ya Bro.

M,Yingling

Way to go David ,,Congrats to you both  :icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

HARDCORE

Amazing sounding hunt David, congrats to both of you.

HC

jake slayer

Crutch

A bird like that is especially good when you share it with a friend like that. I have a friend like that and know what you are talking about.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

njdevilsb

Rio Fan

That's a great story and one heck of a dandy bird.  Like someone already mentioned, you guys look like you could actually be brothers.