OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

taking hens or toms in fall

Started by darron, September 21, 2014, 06:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Hook Max

Dead hens don't lay eggs and turkey numbers are rapidly declining throughout the country.

No hens for us and gobblers are saved for the spring.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. It is true that populations are declining in many areas. Even where they are not, Mother Nature will thin your hens down soon enough through poor hatches. I've been at this for going on fifty years and I've seen huge populations suddenly drop dramatically time and time again.
I understand newer turkey hunters that may want to kill birds in the fall and even seasoned hunters taking mature gobblers in the fall. Why any experienced turkey hunter would want to kill a hen is beyond me.
People shoot does to thin out their deer herds. Killing hens will only accomplish the same thing. And as I said, Mother Nature is much harder on turkeys that she is on deer.

strutnrut

"Why any experienced turkey hunter would want to kill a hen is beyond me."

THEY TASTE GOOD   :TooFunny:

hunter62

Quote from: strutnrut on September 25, 2014, 04:18:58 PM
"Why any experienced turkey hunter would want to kill a hen is beyond me."

THEY TASTE GOOD   :TooFunny:

x2

hunter62

fall a good time for turkey meat and wing bones

firedup

Like Hunter62 said, can't beat the eating but fall is only time you can get your hen wings for calls.  BUT... I agree and follow the path most have said....only if your populations can stand it.  And that can change within a state, county or even farm to farm. 

J Hook Max

Yes, they do taste good , but so do the gobblers. Keep killing hens and then five or ten years from now, tell me about those huge flocks you're seeing. Hate to be sarcastic, just know what I've observed over almost fifty years of turkey hunting.
In Alabama the Game and Fish Commision would think you had lost your mind, wanting to kill any hens. Too much pressure on the birds in the spring compared to twenty or thirty years ago.

Jobugg12

maybe they will outlaw decoys and blinds and the population will explode!

JK Spurs

I can't hardly wait for our fall season to start in PA. There's nothing better than busting up a flock of birds and let the fun begin, yelping, kee-kee, gobbling...the forest comes alive around you. I'm smoking the first bird that comes in looking for a buddy. 
I like my turkey well peppered

strutnrut

Managemnet is the key.  There are area on Fort Campbell that I will not fall turkey hunt due to them not needing to be thinned out but we have some area where there simply are to many turkeys. I think the reason most people say that the population is down is due to a number of factors. For one people need to learn how to count 1+1=2+1=3 not 1.2 when those type of hunters and I think there are many such hunter who take those .1 birds each year. THEY are killing the bird you would have been hunting.  Most states that have a fall season have one for a reason. Tennessee is one of those state where the fall limit is set by county. The county I am in is 6 per fall but the county next to us is 1 per fall. But you just simply can't hardly find a place to turkey hunt in my county. People complain we have to many turkey but they will not let you hunt. I have been turkey hunting here on Fort Campbell for over 25 years and our turkey population has only increased over the years. Now is that because a few of us fall hunt? I doubt it but it sure as heck hasn't hurt the population. A piece of property will only carry just so many deer or turkey . Is it the fact that all of the old hens have gotten to old to breed and that's why you see lower numbers on the hatch? I have seen a lot of small flocks of 4 or 5 old hens an no poults with then. I believe age is a factor but I ain't that educated in the art of turkey life spam to full buy that completely. This is just my opinion and we all know what those are worth. Me I'll keep on hunting them.

Kylongspur88

I will kill a fall hen. The biologists here say its fine so I'll defer to them. As far as harvest numbers go fall turkey harvests in Kentucky are surprisingly low. Not a lot of fall hunters. I think a dozen fall birds were killed in my county last fall as compared to the hundreds of birds killed in the spring.

If some wanted to held the turkey population they should get out and whack every coyote, and any other nest robber around.

tomstopper

Here in NY we can kill 1of either sex but typically I will not shoot a hen or jake unless I ate tag soup in the spring. My daughters love to help me prepare the birds and then devour it so I try to get them one bird a year. IMO if your population is strong I don't see a problem with it but just be careful as not to kill very many. I don't see a lot of people in my area fall turkey hunting either. As long as your doing it legal and with respect to the birds and the population than to each his own.

paboxcall

Quote from: hunter62 on September 25, 2014, 04:47:21 PM
fall a good time for turkey meat and wing bones

Pretty much sums it up.   :icon_thumright:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

CrustyRusty

I guess it really does depend on where you live and populations. Personally I find myself either deer or predator hunting since the season overlaps and never really fall turkey hunt. Unfortunately here in NY numbers are on a decline and have been for years so I wouldn't think of hunting turkey anyway, especially hens.   Years ago while deer hunting there would be flocks of turkey walking by while deer hunting,  but sadly I can't remember the last time I've even seen a turkey in the fall woods.

When birds were often seen and large flocks were common, it was easy pickings but now they are not and sadly nobody sees a correlation.  We all know there are many reasons for a decline in turkey population that occur naturally but nobody wants to acknowledge that over harvesting can be a factor too.

alclark2

Biologists in my state give a 1 bird limit with a county by county season dates and weapons allowed, low harvest rates and hunter participation, the meat is good, wingbones, time in the field with friends and family... How can you go wrong? This post motivated me to go to my states DNR turkey harvest summary and do a little research. Indiana has hovered around a 12,000 bird harvest for the last decade. Fall hunting isn't destroying the flocks. The biggest fluctuation in population comes from cool, wet weather in the spring.  Life is good. If your really want to save a turkey and boost populations.. Get a 22-250 to thin out the predators and create some new habitat.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

mudhen

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on September 23, 2014, 05:38:00 AM
Dead hens don't lay eggs and turkey numbers are rapidly declining throughout the country.

No hens for us and gobblers are saved for the spring.

This...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka