OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poult Hatch and Survival

Started by TurkeyPhanatic, September 12, 2014, 01:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyPhanatic

I was curious to see what kind of hatch everyone has experienced in their respective states and if you've seen most of the poults make it through the summer. Several of the propeties i hunt in NC have seemed to have strong hatches and survival based on trail camera pics! 

SinGin

I think I heard Missouri was hoping for a 1 to 1.1 this year. Sure doesn't sound like much

Snoodsniper

Judging by what I've seen in my area I think we've had a pretty good hatch and survival rate here in PA. I'm regularly seeing groups of 15 to 20 poults with 2 or 3 hens. Which is a lot better than what we've had the previous two years.

nativeks

I have only seen one group and it was 3 hens with 5 poults. I have some birds on camera but no poults. We had a banner year for grasshoppers so there wasn't a shortage of things to eat.

Spring Creek Calls

I believe we had a good hatch here in SW MI. I have seen multiple broods in the section that I live in. In the last couple weeks I've seen poults the size of grouse up to nearly the same size as the hen,  and everything in between. They have been in my yard weekly driving my beagle crazy.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

El Pavo Grande

Been to busy to get out much, but have heard some good AR reports, with some areas better than others as always.  Did hear from a good source in one area that the hatch was the best he had seen in quite a few years.

J Hook Max

Not looking good here.
I live in a supposedly turkey rich area of South Alabama. I have not seen one single poult this summer. I have turkeys around my house and have seen numerous hens and gobblers but no little ones.
Friday, I talked to a friend who has some very good land about 3 miles from me and he said the same thing. He said he had at least 20-25 hens using his pastures and not one poult.

Swampchickin234

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on September 15, 2014, 01:35:48 AM
Been to busy to get out much, but have heard some good AR reports, with some areas better than others as always.  Did hear from a good source in one area that the hatch was the best he had seen in quite a few years.
most definitely the best hatch I've heard of and /or seen.  Saw about 15-20 yesterday.  Have seen quite a bit of sign in the lease and almost every picture my buddies get of hens, they have poults with them.  Praise The Lord, because we've had nothing the past 4-5.   I just hope they all make it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busta biggun

Thanks everybody for the updates. I know we are all interested in how our local hatch was. Could you please include your location with your comments if you haven't done so? It is helpful because we don't all know your location just by your profile name.

Thanks!

Turkeyman11

Utah's hatch looks really good.  Been seeing good numbers of Merriams while elk hunting and I work daily in Rio country and there are bunch of them. 

nativeks

Eastern KS is my report. Saw some young birds the other day, but nothing like what I was hoping for. Started spreading corn for deer so hopefully we start seeing some pics.

crappieangler

I'm stuck to city limits for the most part but have seen some good lookin hatches around my hunting spots in south central iowa.  Was by Ames Sunday fishing in an area you don't see many turkeys and I saw a hen with 7 almost full grown poults and another hen with 4 smaller poults.  I would assume things are doing just fine here in iowa. Fall season opens soon, can't wait to spend some time finding a few.