OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help with gun/ammo/choke combo please.

Started by NSGhunter, August 26, 2014, 10:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSGhunter

Hello, first post here. I had a few friends recommend I join and ask over here, so here I am.

I recently traded for a Mossberg 535, 12ga,20" barrel, thumbhole stock, tru-glo red dot, factory apg cammo.

I patterned it and compared to the other guys, my pattern sucks.

Remington nitro turkey #6 3" from 37 yards

federal turkey thugs #6 3.5" from 37 yards

captin_hook

You're going to get lots of comments. Here's my 2 cents. Shoot at a bigger piece of paper or card board with a small target circle on it so you can see your whole pattern. I'm actually surprised at your numbers with the rem nitros. I've never had any luck with those shells. Both of your patterns will kill easily at 40 yds already. Finding a shell choke combo that satisfies you can be a pricey task. If you want to stay with lead, the thugs or longboards are great. If you want to go with HtL , hevi 6s or 7s work great. As far as choke, there's plenty of good ones out there. The jelly head choke is a nice mid priced choke that patterns well.

allaboutshooting

First of all, welcome to OG. We're glad you're here and will do all that we can to make you feel at home and be helpful to you. We look forward to hearing more from you as you work on your patterns and otherwise.

As has been said, the best way to really see how your gun is patterning is to shoot at some "big paper", 3' x 3' is good.

Put some type of mark in the center, I use round 2" sticky dots of various kinds but anything that you can see clearly will work.

Shoot from a rest, I like to start at 20 yards to see if my point of aim and point of impact are the same. Then move out to 30 yards and finally at 40 yards.

Circle the "best" 10" pattern on those targets. That will tell you how a particular shell and choke are working for you.

I don't get hung up on numbers, I'm more interested in the evenness of the pattern and finding one without large (2") holes in it.

I have a 535 with the 24" and 28" barrels. I had one with the shorter barrel and it was a challenge to get good patterns but it is possible.

First, I'd recommend that you "deep clean" the bore. It will really help. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282

Your .670 choke is probably a bit too open for that short barrel. Mine does best with chokes from .640 to .655 with #6 or #7 shot and Hevi-13 shells work best, far better than any of the lead loads but since you already have some of those shells, you could certainly give them a try and see what happens.

There are chokes that work best in my guns and I can recommend them to you if you like. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good choke that does all you'll ever need.

Please let me know if I can be of any help and I will do all that I can to be of assistance.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

NSGhunter

Thank you Clark,
    I would like a 24" barrel but my budget doesn't allow to buy another right now.
I enjoy the feel of the gun an I look forward to carrying it.

I would appreciate some input on chokes. I have heard a jelly head .660 might do well.
I am also concerned that some chokes don't do well with HTl it flight control wads like the federal sand longboards.

Thanks in advance,
Dustin

owlhoot

First of all  :wagon:    Now as far as loads and chokes go , look for what the other posters on here use as  chokes and loads..Have not seen much good out of Remington nitro turkey on here or in my own stuff or friends guns either.  Most factory chokes do not seem to fair well in my experience.   I've  held that gun and it looks to be a very good one , that short barrel should do just fine. Good luck.

Oconeeguy

I strongly agree with Jellyhead choke. I had the exact same gun and Jellyhead threw the best patterns and Heavyshot #6 was my load. I also second the big paper suggestion. Try an old calendar or use the back (white) side of unwanted Christmas wrapping paper.

Old Gobbler

Welcome to OldGobbler !

Try another brand of ammo , the remington nitros are probably holding you back
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

allaboutshooting

Quote from: NSGhunter on August 26, 2014, 04:38:09 PM
Thank you Clark,
    I would like a 24" barrel but my budget doesn't allow to buy another right now.
I enjoy the feel of the gun an I look forward to carrying it.

I would appreciate some input on chokes. I have heard a jelly head .660 might do well.
I am also concerned that some chokes don't do well with HTl it flight control wads like the federal sand longboards.

Thanks in advance,
Dustin

Hey Dustin,

I understand about the barrel and you should be able to do just fine with the one you have. If you ever want another one, it pays to look in mid-summer and there are places that sometimes have bargains on them.

It is a very handy gun in the turkey woods. I've owned 3 of the 535s and let friends have 2 of them but I'm keeping the one I have currently. It's very light, as you know, and easily carried all day without weighing you down in any way.

The shells you use will make a big difference. You pretty much get what you pay for in turkey ammo.

The Long Beards use a resin in the wad that is supposed to break up upon setback, when the shell is fired and ignition takes place. What we've found however is that it's also up to the choke to break up some of that resin and patterns may be way too tight out to 20 or even 30 yards, unless the choke helps a lot. That has caused some inconsistency in patterns with those shells.

We see that chokes, again in the .640 to .655 range, depending upon the internals, work best with those shells and the #6 shot is the most consistent performer.

The Federal shells with the Flitecontrol Wad also work well with chokes with the same e.d. because you defeat the intended purpose of the wad and fuse it. That makes it pattern well.

Chokes that have worked well in my 535s have been the Wright's .650, the JEB's .655 and .650, and the SSX .643.

Currently, I'm doing some work with 3 new chokes and should have some results that I can share soon on those.

Thanks,
Clark

Snoodsniper

Yep 20" barrel should be just fine. Try as many load/choke combos as you can afford but also be smart about it because a few searches here will help narrow down your best choices a lot. Longbeard xrs were very popular this spring and put up excellent numbers for most of us that tried them. I can tell you they are extremely lethal. Not trying to sway you..... just throwing it out there. Shooting off a rest as Clark said is an excellent idea. The lead sled makes my patterning sessions much more pleasant!

SumToy

:welcomeOG:

Go get you some Winchester LX or HV 13. 

Now my  :z-twocents: that is not to bad for them shells. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Twowithone

Bought a choke off Clark AKA Allaboutshooting and havent looked back since he knows his stuff on shotguns and chokes for sure. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

surehuntsalot

you need to try some Federal or  Winchester shells,Remington has never done good in any of my shotguns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Twowithone on August 30, 2014, 09:03:17 PM
Bought a choke off Clark AKA Allaboutshooting and havent looked back since he knows his stuff on shotguns and chokes for sure. :firefighter:

Thank you,
Clark