OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth hunting jacket

Started by chatterbox, March 19, 2011, 04:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Anyone know where I can get a lightweight camo jacket for my boy?
He has all he needs for spring gobbler, but I don't have a jacket for him. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

sugarray

Good luck with that.  I have looked and looked and looked.  We finally just bought an insulated jacket from Wal-Mart.  It was on sale for $11.  I sprayed it with Camp Dry.  We'll see how it does.  As far as uninsulated, no idea.  Finding anything for kids is absolutely  insane.  It's like there is baby stuff then adult stuff.  Very little in between.  I would suggest looking at Cabela's or Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, etc.  Would likely be your best bet.

chatterbox

Quote from: sugarray on March 19, 2011, 06:56:13 AM
Good luck with that.  I have looked and looked and looked.  We finally just bought an insulated jacket from Wal-Mart.  It was on sale for $11.  I sprayed it with Camp Dry.  We'll see how it does.  As far as uninsulated, no idea.  Finding anything for kids is absolutely  insane.  It's like there is baby stuff then adult stuff.  Very little in between.  I would suggest looking at Cabela's or Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, etc.  Would likely be your best bet.
I know Ray. It's VERY frustrating. I might just have him wear a thick hooded sweatshirt. I also have had 0 luck finding anything. We are going to Cabelas in a couple weeks, maybe we'll get lucky.

Odessa

Chatterbox, I have seen a selection of commercial cammo youth jackets at the Bass Pro Shops at Concord Mills (Charlotte NC) and at Glenn Allen (Richmond VA).  I also found some nice field jackets in various Cammi's at Saigon Sam's military surplus in Jacksonville NC (they have three stores in Jacksonville).  The small jackets will fit small teenagers and bigger kids.  This boy, the son of one of my hunting pardners, is 15 or 16 in this picture from NOV 2009 - that is one of the commercial cammo field jackets from Saigon Sam's and he has his sleeves rolled up (the boy is about 145 lbs in this picture).  I really like a field jacket and these are good quality - I would have bought one too ($65.00) but they don't make the non-military cammo in tall sizes.  Last time I was there he had Woodland (BDU), Digital (USMC), Tiger Stripe (Viet Nam era cammo), and assorted others.

"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

mossy835

Do try Cabala's as one of the "turkey" flyer's the sent me had youth hunting cloths in it that looked good to me. Good luck and post any good results you find for others with kids.