turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Advice For A New Bow

Started by tomstopper, August 18, 2014, 02:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Just wanting some advice/opinions on purchasing a new bow this year. What's everyone shooting and how do you like it. I am not wanting to spend over $800 and wouldn't mind a package deal (I don't get to hunt a ton of time to hunt in the fall so I don't want to spend a fortune for a bow and then have to buy a bunch of the extras). I haven't bought a new bow in 8 years and just would like a new one. I have always bought PSE and had a great deal of success with them but am open to other brands as well. Thanks for all your inputs.

vaturkey

PARKER   Lifetime Warranty !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

Gooserbat

While not a cheap as some, look at New Breed.  A small company and the closest thing to a custom compound you can get with customer service that can't be beat.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

SinGin

Most all bows are good bows these days PSE does still make some great bows but the package stuff is not that great. For $800 you can buy just about any good bow out there.

Swamprunner

Bows are like golf clubs.  Its all about feel and personal preference.  Marketing is a huge part of the archery game and Matthews is number 1 because they spend the big bucks in that area.  My dad is an archery tech and bow salesman for a large retailer and he can get himself and me a free Matthews every year or other year if we want.  Matthews is by far his number one seller.  He BOUGHT a Hoyt, as did I.  In my opinion, and this is only that, I would lean toward Hoyt and Elite.  Speed is great but smoothness and forgiveness are my two top priorities.  Both of those companies emphasize those qualities.

Jbird22

If you shoot an Elite I'd be surprised if you didn't buy it. I shot a Mathews Switchback XT since 06/07 until I shot an Elite last summer. I shot a LOT of bows each year but nothing could make me put my XT down until I tried an Elite. They build awesome bows that come with a lifetime, transferable warranty.

Deputy 14

You need to go shoot a bunch of different bows. Most on he market are of good quality but you need to shoot them all to see what feels best to you. I shoot a pse but it may feel terrible in your hand.

Gobbler2577

I agree that you need to shoot as many as you can and decide from there.  I would also suggest you try New Breed.  I've shot about every brand out there and I doubt I'll ever own anything other than New Breed.  The easiest shooting bows I've ever shot and there is no customer service that can compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampchickin234

I would start by saying to let no one tell you or sale you what you don't feel comfortable with.   I shoot a Hoyt, but I am certainly not married to them.  I also really like the new elite.  In fact, could possibly be my next bow. Ill have to see in 2015 when I'm shootin different ones.  I'm shooting my Hoyt right now because that was what was good for me.  I have buddies tht swear by Matthews, Hoyt's, elites, pse, etc..   Find what fits you and is in you're price range and get it.  Also, don't let someone try to sell out of you're price range.   I would rather have a 400 bow that was comfortable and I could shoot, than a 1400 doller bow that I hated.  Luck brother, bunch of tough choices

Swamprunner

I'll also say that Hoyt shooters consistently love Elite and vice versa.  Matthews shooters and bowtech shooters are the same way.  Never fails

Swampchickin234

Quote from: Swamprunner on August 19, 2014, 06:30:56 PM
I'll also say that Hoyt shooters consistently love Elite and vice versa.  Matthews shooters and bowtech shooters are the same way.  Never fails
swamp runner said it lol.  It's very true for the most part

GSLAM95

I'm an ELITE Dealer (No I will not ship one before anyone ask) and so I guess you could say I am partial and would advice you to shoot at least 3 different brands before buying anything.  All I ask is that you find your nearest Elite dealer and shoot an Energy 32 or 35.  They have a lifetime transferable warranty, come with Barnsdale limbs, have a cerakote finish and the only company to offer a hunt guarantee that if something happens while on a hunt no matter who's at fault and no matter if your in Alaska or elsewhere they will overnight you a bow to finish your hunt.
Go to their website, check them out and take the ElITE shoot ability challenge!
Good luck with whatever you choose...

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

KYFrid

I have a hoyt charger and so far have been very happy with it. I would like to shoot an Elite sometime though.

perrytrails

Quote from: Deputy 14 on August 19, 2014, 12:53:48 PM
You need to go shoot a bunch of different bows. Most on he market are of good quality but you need to shoot them all to see what feels best to you. I shoot a pse but it may feel terrible in your hand.

Good advise. I went to my local bow dealer. He spent several hours setting up bows so I could try them.

Find one that has a good selection , and ask when is their slowest day of the week.

Kywoodsman

I personally have a Hoyt right now I shoot and I'm really fond of it but I have also had a Parker in the past and it was an excellent bow for half the price of most large name bows.