News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Advice on Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia

Started by strut2, August 18, 2014, 11:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n2deer

El Pavo Grande

I have no experience in Georgia, but have hunted public land quite a few times in AL and MS.  It has always been from around March 15 - March 25 and hearing a lot of gobbling has typically been the exception.  From the areas I have hunted, MS has received the most hunting pressure and you can sometimes spend more time hunting a place to hunt away from a crowd than actually hunting.  But, with the right spot and timing, the hunting can be great at times.  Well worth going for the experience.

ncturkey

I am a avid game land turkey hunter. In North Carolina I have learned what every game land hunter in every states learns and that is you have to deal with is other hunters. What I learned to do was hunt when most other hunter were at work. If I had to hunt on opening day of turkey season on the game lands I would get in there super early so I could hike way back to were others hunter would probably not go. Plus the turkeys have also learned to get away from the other hunter near the roads. I would start with contacting to DNR's for each state. I would get there turkey distribution maps to find the best counties. Then get maps of the game lands in the best areas. Do not worry if you can not find game lands in the best areas. Some of the best hunting will be on the edges of these best areas. Get good topo maps of all the areas you plan to hunt. Scout all the areas to find the birds. One thing I do to is the ask the local postman or UPS drivers were they have be see the turkey's cross the road. Info. I have gotten from postman have lead me to some good hunting areas that I would have never thought about hunting. Hunting out of state on game lands will be tuff. But that is what makes it fun. Just dig in and studying the maps and scout them. You will do well. Good Luck

surehuntsalot

for public land here in Mississippi,I would have to say the Bienville NF.
there are 3 WMA's located in the forest,plus the forest lands it's self.all of the WMA's have a draw system in place the first couple of weeks of the season
it's not the harvest,it's the chase