OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

All Day Hunting

Started by Limbstrutter, March 18, 2011, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jake slayer

This year here in Pa. they are letting us hunt the last 2 weeks all day too.
At least I will get a little more time to hunt after work.

Odessa

NC is also all day.  I usually hunt until 1000, go get breakfast, then get back out for a mid day hunt (that's a walking/stalking hunt) then about 3:30pm pick an area to get between the fields and the roost for the evening hunt.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

Nimrodmar10

Here in Tennessee we can hunt all day but I'd much rather hunt in the morning. I may hunt for a while after lunch but the late evenings are for roosting birds. The only bird I can remember killing in the late afternoon was a bearded hen and that was just because I'd never killed one before and was curious. I'd much rather spend the late day roosting a bird for the next morning. On several occasions I've set up near a roost to roost a bird for the next morning and had birds walk by in range on the way to the roost. I'll let them go ahead and fly up then come back to hunt them in the morning. Sounds a little crazy but I'd just much rather hunt them in the mornings. It's not just the killing. It's the early morning excitement. The cardinals starting the day off. Then the owl hooting to make sure the bird is still there. It's the tree calls and cackles and the fly down. It's the strutting and spittin and drumming. It's calling to the turkey and fooling him into walking in close enough to kill him. Close, not 50 or 60 yards. When that happens you've earned the right to take that birds life. When you kill one at the roost, or kill one at 50-60 yards, all you've done is shoot a turkey.

Woodsman4God

Quote from: redarrow on March 18, 2011, 10:36:43 PM
I enjoy hunting mid day and evenings. If you can get between them and the roosting area its game on.

You just like mid day and evenings because you dont like waking to an alarm

Dan Mallia

In California, we can hunt til 4:00.  My hunting time is very limited in the spring so when I hike into the turkey woods, I don't leave til i get a bird or 4:00 comes. :TooFunny:

OLE RASPY

If u can get a bird to gobble midday or afternoon then chances are u got that bird riding in your truck.But i love my morning hunts.

Tail Feathers

Never had any luck hunting easterns in the afternoon or evening but I've killed most of my Rios in the afternoon.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Limbstrutter

What I think it gives the working man more a chance to hunt. Here in Ohio are season starts on Monday  for some strange reason . So I'm going to get more time to be in the field.
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

ncturkey

I love hunting ll day. If you get a bird to gobble in the afternoon he will come too you most of the time. I have had great success in the afternoon. Give it a try. Sometimes after work I head to the woods for a little turkey hunting.

Rio Fan

I've had quite a few great hunts in the afternoon/evening.  A lot of guys give up around mid-morning, plus, I've had several hunts where I hunted a bird early in the morning and couldn't do anything with him (usually because he was with hens) and when I returned to that area in the afternoon, the hens were gone and the gobbler came right to me.

surehuntsalot

I enjoy afternoon hunts,especially after a slow morning
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Timmer

We've been allowed to hunt all day for several years now in MN.  I get up around 4am to get out good and early so making it all the way until sundown is tough for me.  I do, however, hunt until 4 or 5.  I have taken several birds early to mid afternoon.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

BOFF

Hunt all day in Alabama on private land, management areas and some other places is morning only.

I love going after the gobbling birds in the am, but have taken plenty of birds in the afternoons, and evenings.

God Bless,
David B.

LilFridWV

West Virginia only let's hunters hunt half a day in the spring. Fall turkey hunting we get to hunt all day. I wish they would allow us to hunt all day so I can see what its like in the spring to hunt evenings. I've had a lot of gobblers gobbling around noon. Sucks!

flintlock

The only time I haven't killed birds is from 2-3pm.  That is when I come out to eat, if I am after them hard.  Over the last 20 years that has proven to me to be the "quiet" time.   But hey, I'm sure you can take am from 2-3pm, they are still out there!

I have taken prob 8-10 in the last hour of daylight by setting up close to their roost site of birds that I worked that am - wouldn't work worth a dang in the am, but responded and about 1/2 even gobbled just before lights out.

Good luck man!
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!