OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

All Day Hunting

Started by Limbstrutter, March 18, 2011, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limbstrutter

Here in Ohio for the first time the State wide turkey season will give us the second  half the season too hunt all day. Just wondering how many of you get to hunt all day?  And what do you think of evening hunt.
which Do you like better Morning hunts or evening hunts and why ?
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

njdevilsb

We can only hunt up until noon here in NY.  It makes it hard when you can only hunt weekends mostly.  My dad and I take around 5 days off early in the season depending on what day the opener falls on, though.

FttFttVroom!

I gotten into the habit of hunting till late morning, going back to the camp for breakfast...then out again till lunch.  Then a nap and mess around till I hear one gobble and go after him.  If not....I got back out again from 3 till dark.

redarrow

I enjoy hunting mid day and evenings. If you can get between them and the roosting area its game on.

joshua

My experience in the afternoon is if he responds to your calls then hold on cuz he's coming.   :anim_25:
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

turkey slayer

Quote from: joshua on March 18, 2011, 10:45:39 PM
My experience in the afternoon is if he responds to your calls then hold on cuz he's coming.   :anim_25:
:agreed:

Basser69

I love hunting mornings but I have killed a lot of birds in the mid-day and evenings setting up on green fields, blind calling

dawgfrombama

in 2007 I killed both my birds around 5:00pm.  I would set up in pastures and just lightly call and like was stated earlier, if he gobbles take the safety off.  I also kill 2 in KS last yr in the same evening.  The first one at 5:15 and the other about 7pm.  Evening can be very productive.  The only downside here in alabama is the heat and mosquitos.

redleg06

I love to hunt in the afternoon...

The action may not be as hot and heavy (at least as far as gobbling goes) as in the early morning hours but it can be very very productive for bagging a bird.

Crutch

3 of my 4 birds last year were late afternoon birds from between 5 and 6:30 or 7. So I guess I like it pretty good.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

TANK

If I don't kill the one I have roosted in the morning I'm planning on hunting all day..............Packing a lunch. :fud: :newmascot:

kansas hooks

I have shot most of my birds from 10 am -2 pm but have shot alot of birds in the evening here in Kansas.  Like other people have said if you can get one to respond in the afternoon/evening then you better hang on cause more time than not you will have a bird in your lap.

TURKEYWHACKER

Unless you hunt private land you only get to 1:00pm here in Florida.  :( :'(

Roostem33

Here in Ga. we can hunt all day, I myself love to afternoon hunt and late season it seems to be a better time for the old bird to totally commit. Thats just the way it seems to work for me.
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

handcannon

Louisiana is an all day hunt. I like afternoon hunts cause they are out cruising for lonely chicks. Not much gobbling but can be productive anyhow.