turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone here mess with Hotrods?

Started by the Ward, July 28, 2014, 12:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Might be a bit o.t. but just curious if any other members play around with cars, seeing a lot of screen names have car connotations. When it's not hunting season it's hotrod season at my place, lol!

Yoder409

I used to.  But I grew out of it.......................... 3 times !!!!    ;D

Kinda afraid to do another one.  I'm just old enough to build something truly dangerous the 4th time around.

Lemme go look & see if I can find  pic of my last one..................
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

chadly

I've got an 87 Buick Grand National that has been in my garage since 94.  I drove it once this summer.  It hardly ever moves but I just cant imagine getting rid of it.  About five years ago I took it to a local 1/8 mile and ran a 7.6 at 91mph if I remember correctly.  Cool thing about the car is I get 23mpg if I'm nice. 

the Ward

Nice rides Guys! I'm with you on the "just old enough to build something truly dangerous" lol!!  Man, 7s at 91 in the 1/8 is moving along pretty smartly! Thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful cars. I've built a few over the years and had a lot of fun doing it, but it takes such a financial and time commitment that I don't know if I want to do that as much now. Right now I have 2 1962 galaxie 500s and a 61 comet. One of the galaxies is done, started building it as a drag car, but they closed the 2 nearest tracks so now I just drive it to car cruises. The other galaxie is on the backburner along with the comet temporarily due to lack of funds and space. It is an addiction like turkey hunting for sure!

Yoder409

Quote from: chadly on July 31, 2014, 09:26:22 AM
I've got an 87 Buick Grand National that has been in my garage since 94.  I drove it once this summer.  It hardly ever moves but I just cant imagine getting rid of it.  About five years ago I took it to a local 1/8 mile and ran a 7.6 at 91mph if I remember correctly.  Cool thing about the car is I get 23mpg if I'm nice.

Gotta love the GN's !!!!

23 mpg !!!!!!  I only wish............

The Impala in the pic I posted above got 5.5 mpg HIGHWAY !!!!!!!!  On 115 octane fuel, no less !!!!!!  Luckily, back then it was about the same price as regular unleaded is today.  Someone told me it's around 8 bucks/gal now !!

I built the Impala to look like your grandma's car from 1967 but to be a 1/4 mile and stoplight-to-stoplight monster.  As long as it wasn't running, the only clues were the 396 flags and the 2 1/2" tailpipes.  Under the hood it was .030 over with 12.5:1 pistons, very healthy solid cam, roller rockers,forged crank, big rods.................... the whole 9 yards.  Dynoed just shy of 590 HP.  TH400 with a stage 3 shift kit and a 9 inch converter out back turning a set of 4.56 posi gears.  With DOT soft compound tires aired down she'd post a 12.80 at around 109 mph in the 1/4 with 75 feet of wheelspin.  I never put slicks on it to see what it would REALLY do.  Wasn't really wanting to twist off axles or driveshafts.  Many a runny nosed kid in his daddy's 'Vette or Mustang or IROC got a quick lesson in life at the hands of a 4050 lb. family car.    :z-dizzy: 
PA elitist since 1979

reflexl

I have had a bunch of them including a car involved in the fastest documented high speed chase in the history of TN. Had a 70 Firebird that would run low 12s on the street. Current one is a curvy road car. Built 1988 Lancer with all the suspension tricks.

MACHINIST

Not into rods but I build jeeps

My first big build was a 84 Scrambler

my last,its started life as a 95 YJ but I hate the square headlights so I installed a old MB jeep grill and made my own hood and fenders to go with it,made the boatsides and a few other odds and ends.next is a V8 swap,or a supercharged 6

and yes it gets used!!

the Ward

Really cool stuff guys!! Cool Scrambler! Haven't seen one of those in along time. 590 hp in a 2 ton car, yea I can see the axles+ slicks = $! Tell us more on the high speed chase in TN!!

Yoder409

Quote from: the Ward on August 02, 2014, 05:39:03 PM
590 hp in a 2 ton car, yea I can see the axles+ slicks = $!

Uh huh.

Forgot to add that when we bolted the nine-6 together we left a couple extra 1000th's rod & main clearance..............

It was a true 8000+ rpm big block !!!!!    :you_rock:
PA elitist since 1979

reflexl

Quote from: the Ward on August 02, 2014, 05:39:03 PM
Really cool stuff guys!! Cool Scrambler! Haven't seen one of those in along time. 590 hp in a 2 ton car, yea I can see the axles+ slicks = $! Tell us more on the high speed chase in TN!!

It happened in the early 80's. The gent that owned the car was my dad's CO in Alaska. He was diabetic and happend to have a 1970 Formula Firebird that wasn't your ordinary bird. It had real Pontiac power but to the tune of over 600hp. What he needed with it at 70 years old I am not sure but he drove it on a regular bases. Someone convinced him to drink peroxide and that it would cure his diabetes. Instead he went loco. He drove the car into Fayetteville and according the cops appeared to be drunk. The immediately tried to pull him over and he took off. He hit Hwy 64 (this happend when it was still a two lane) and ran off and left the police. A deputy that I know was pulling out from the road that Frito Lay now occupies. He hit 147 which was as fast as his car would go and said the old boy ran off and left him. By this time the alert had gone out and every state trooper and deputy in Lincoln and Franklin county were converging on Hwy 64. Another deputy tried to pull out and block him at Kelso but he drove around him. This deputy took off and saw him when he hit the curve know as the big cut. It was a sharp curve at the top of the hill that is actually the edge of the geographic location known as the highland rim. He expected to see him crash. More people have been killed there than at Monteagle Mountain just 25 more miles up the road. He drove around the curve and continued toward Franklin County. A state trooper at a side road clocked him at 168 and decided not to give chase. About 10 miles into Franklin Co, a deputy had pulled back out to at least try to keep him in sight. Suddenly he slowed and started off the side of the road. He came to a stop against a fence just on the other side of Belvidere. The deputy radioed ahead where they had formed a road block and all unit headed to the scene. When the deputy got to him he was unconscious. The thought he was drunk and passed out. One of the deputies who had been a EMT looked at his eyes and told them he wasn't drunk. He was in a coma. They took him to Franklin Co hospital and he stayed there over a week. When he finally regained his senses he told the Sheriff that he never saw any cops chasing him. He only saw robbers trying to kill him. Moral here is don't drink peroxide. They estimated that he had reached speeds in excess of 180mph during the chase. Some of his family Pinched the fuel line shot where he couldn't see it. He never could figure out why it wouldn't start. A few weeks after he got home he drank peroxide again and did a similar stunt in a old Ford truck. He reached 104 mph on a pretty curvy road before totaling the truck. They had to stop him from driving after that.

Kywoodsman

Dang, I believe they should make a movie about that.  :o

the Ward

Great story!! You would think after the first episode he would have laid off the stuff! Hmmm.....I knew a  bleached blonde from back in the day, that would explain a lot of things lol!   

nitro

Here is my last one. 70 'Cuda. 440 inch block , 2 Holley 750s , Edelbrock hi rise manifold, 4 speed,Hurst pistol grip shifter,  bored.030 over, Crane cam, Hedmann headers, etc,etc,...... Last dyno was over 600BHP.

At 2500 RPM from the line, dump the clutch, front tires leave the ground and you hold on. Lots of fun for sure. Vanity plate read  " FAST FSH ".. it was.
Royal Slam 2008

the Ward

NICE CUDA!!  One of my buds i ran around  in high school with had a 63' 330 sedan. We pulled the 383 out and dropped in a 413 his cousin had built. The car was raced most of its life and already had a full reverse manual push-button 727 and 3.91 rear. It was so cool punching "the typewriter" buttons at 7 grand lol! My favorite cars are the early 60's super stocks, be it Ford Mopar or GM's. Even though I'm a Ford guy i appreciate them all!! My 62 galaxie is set up like that, fiberglass frontend, bumpers, light weight interior, but with a .060 over 460/c6/4.56 drivetrain. Going to put a 4speed in it someday, just not right having an automatic in it! :icon_thumright: