OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My new Browning A5 3.5"!!!

Started by henro, July 23, 2014, 07:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henro

After selling my Browning Gold(regretfully) a few months ago I picked up its new replacement last week! I liked my old Shadowgrass pattern from my Gold so I got the new 12ga 3.5" 28" barrel A5 in Shadowgrass Blades. The gun is super light especially when I held it next to my buddies Maxus which is a light gun itself. It feels like it weighs about half of what my old Gold Hunter did too! I will be using this gun for waterfowl, turkey and deer. I bought the Kicks Buck Kicker choke in full for 3.5" 00 buckshot(not sure which yet), their Vortex Modified(need to order IC too) for Black Cloud and a Pure Gold .670 Turkey choke that I'll be patterning with Hevi Shot Magnum Blend. I also bought a Browning Dirty Bird sling for it. I liked the easier adjustment from my last Accelerator Plus though so that may change. I cannot wait to pattern this one and will post results as they come. There are very few reviews showing any results with this shotgun so I will do my best to help that.  This obviously won't happen overnight but I will try to post good info as I get it.  I cannot wait to put the Kinematic Drive system through its paces this coming hunting season. Here's the money shot for now!

trkehunr93

CrustyRusty

Nice setup.  You shouldn't have any problems getting a great pattern with any browning barrel.

allaboutshooting

Congratulations. It's really all about the bore but I'll be interested to hear how that new choke system works out for you. I know that JEB's makes chokes to fit that gun and shooters have had good success with them. Otherwise, I have not heard much about the new A5.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Snoodsniper

henro

Thanks guys. Ordered a Kicks Vortex in IC today as well. If anybody info to share with chokes and loads they've patterned on this gun please do.

lowoctane

:morning:
Nice looking set up! Always been a fan of the A5!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

rkm456

Beautiful gun. Haven't had the chance to shoot one, but they've all felt great in my hands. I really wish they'd make a 24 inch turkey version.

kcrowder

Congrats! You will love it!  I bought one last year(3") as a dedicated waterfowl gun. paired with Carlson Sporting caly chokes(light mod and imp mod) it is awesome.  The long sight plane is great, it's light and comfortable to carry. This past spring I bought a Rhino .670 to pattern for turkeys. Shooting the fed Hw #7's, its a head lopper. Thinking about keeping the 870 SM in the safe and using the A5 for everyhthing with feathers.  Again, congrats on the gun. You wont regret it.

Wingboneman

I got one last year and mine is nice.. mine is 3 inch with a rare 30 inch barrel

Old Timer53

Tail Feathers

Congrats!  Gotta love getting a new gun. :icon_thumright:
I was in the store looking at 20 gauges and they owner suggested I shoulder one of the new A-5's.
Wow!  Definitely not what I expected.  I used to own an old style A-5.  That new one felt REAL good to me.
I hope you take many birds with it. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

henro

Need to update this thread as I've bought more chokes and will be patterning the gun very soon with a few different turkey loads.

My collection of chokes now includes:
Pure Gold Turkey .670
Patternmaster Anaconda Long Range .700
Kicks Buck Kicker Full .702
Kicks Vortex Modified .725
Kicks Vortex Improved Cylinder .732
Trulock Precision Hunter Ported IM .715
Trulock Precision Hunter Ported M .720
Trulock Precision Hunter Ported IC .730
Trulock Precision Hunter Ported SK .735

I will compare patterns of the following turkey loads:
Hevi Shot Magnum Blend 3.5"
Hevi Shot Hevi-13 3.5" 6s
Winchester Long Beard XR 3.5" in 5s and 6s

If I have time I will also compare the following buckshot loads out of the Anaconda and Buck Kicker chokes:
Federal Vital Shok 3.5" 00 Buck 18 pellets 1100fps Copper Plated
Remington Express Buckshot 18 pellets 1125fps
Winchester Supreme 3.5" 15 pellets 00 Buck 1450fps Copper Plated

henro

I have to say I absolutely love this gun so far.  I've probably put about 8-10 cases of low brass cheap shells through it crow hunting.  It has no issues cycling any type of round even after I've shot a few cases through it before cleaning it again.  It's been extremely reliable and I even took a nice 9pt buck with it using the Winchester Supreme buckshot/Kicks Buck Kicker combo this winter.  I've also goose and duck hunted with it many times and have no issues when it's been extremely cold.  This is the best firearm I've ever owned.  It's so nice to carry in the field being so light and points great.  I'd recommend it to anyone.

SCDieselDawg

I run a Patternmaster Code Black in my A5. So far it's done pretty good with Mag Blends.