Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you use your Tukey Gun for Multiple types of Game?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, June 27, 2014, 11:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

WildTigerTrout

I have several dedicated turkey only guns. My all around shotgun for other game (pheasants, rabbits, etc) is a 1959 vintage Winchester Model 12 12 ga. with a 28" modified fixed choke. This shotgun is completely original and uncut. Even the stock finish is original. Needless to say I hunt with it but take care not to abuse it.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Terry

I use mine for waterfowl and occasionally small game, but I have a barrel dedicated to turkey only. It's shorter with open sights and a turkey choke versus a bead sight with a modified choke.

Ridge Rooster

No, I have several dedicated turkey rigs. I also have a dove gun, a waterfowl gun, and several other shotguns. Not saying you can not use the same gun for multiple species but I like having the benifits of a dedicated turkey rig.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

njdevilsb

My turkey guns are dedicated right now since I only hunt turkey and deer.  If I were to hunt some other game, I'd probably swap chokes and shells in one of my turkey guns.

Gooserbat

My turkey rig is my turkey rig.  I have another shotgun for everything else.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

HogBiologist

My turkey rig is an all around killer. It is scoped, but there is no reason to remove it. I have even dove hunted with it. Actually shot them better that way.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

CrustyRusty

Dedicated turkey/predator gun for my sbe2, bps 20. For small game a side by side 20 or an 870.  For clay sports various Beretta o/u.'s.

beagler

Never Misses

Tail Feathers

I have a couple of 3" guns for other purposes.  A semi-auto and a pump.
With the red dot and ported 24" barrel, I wouldn't want to shoot my 835 as a wingshooter, certainly not a lot either.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

surehuntsalot

I have 3 20ga and 3 12ga,they all get used for everything from deer to doves
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

wibirdhunter

I have a more than 1 shotguns but really only use 1 for everything clays, upland, waterfowl, turkeys, and predator calling.

No optics, just use a different choke, and if hunting after dark (coons or coyotes) I add a light.

Right now it's an a400 xtreme.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

alclark2

I considered using it on coyotes. But.. Why not just build a dedicated coyote gun? I can't have too many guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

nickp

I have all of my guns set up to take whatever animal I hunt except the NEF 10 gauge.  The two choked guns (870 12ga and 870 20ga) have Improved Cylinder for slugs, Modified and Full for buckshot and small game, and turkey chokes.  The two fixed choke guns (Wingmaster 870 12ga and Stevens single 20ga) have full barrels.  That being said, they have proved many times over to kill anything (dove, quail, rabbit, squirrel, deer, turkey, coyote, etc...) from ranges out to 55 yards.  They are by far my favorites.  I take them all to the turkey woods at least once a season as well with my 10 and 12 870 being my main go to turkey guns.