Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you use your Tukey Gun for Multiple types of Game?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, June 27, 2014, 11:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Or is your Turkey Gun a specialized Turkey-Only setup?

If you use it for Multiple types of Game:

How many different Chokes do you utilize, and what are they?

I've started wondering just how many chokes are really needed for an all-game setup?  Maybe 4?

Wide Open (Cylinder, Skeet, or Improved Cylinder)
Moderate (Light Modified, Modified, or Improved Modified)
Tight (Light Full, Full, or XFull)
Super Tight (Turkey)

owlhoot

If i use one for other game , which some i have , they always seem to have a improved cylinder in them when not sporting the turkey choke.  Mostly my all around guns get a day in the turkey woods every so often. Not the other way around.

bbcoach

My 835 is a dedicated turkey gun.  I have it topped with a Bushnell Red Dot and a .670 Pure Gold choke.  I do have several choke tubes in reserve for it but the Pure Gold gets the job done every time with #7 Hevi's, I don't feel the need to waste time and money experimenting with the rest.   

Rick Howard

I use my gun for lots of different hunting.  It's a Rem 870 20ga.  My pops gave it to me for Christmas when I was 12.  I have been hunting with it for 20 years now.  The beauty of a shotgun is the versatility, too me.  I use Improved choke for small game and clay.  Full choke for coyote and fox.  X full for turkey.  I have a rifled slug barrel for deer.  Though I have never been, I'm sure I could set it up for waterfowl too.  Shot is species specific.  I have partnered each setup with lots of different ammo.  Seems to prefer Remington ammo most often.

snapper1982

Used my Encore to kill some tree rats last year. It worked well but doubt i do it again.

2much2loud

My SBE 2 has killed turkeys, deer, pheasants, geese, grouse, yotes, fox, quail, crows,.... But with the addition of the new Vinci the SBE 2 will be only turkey

allaboutshooting

I watched a couple of episodes of Noir http://www.nrafreestyle.tv/noir the other day and the host said "...the shotgun is the thinking man's gun."

I'd never really thought of it that way but probably should have since with just a little thought, we can use our shotgun(s) for so many different purposes.

A little tweak here and there and it's really a whole different gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

grayfox

Mine's used for turkey hunting only with the red dot sight on it.  When I used my Beretta with bead only I used it for doves, turkey & everything else.  But the 870 with the red dot could certainly be used for other uses as well.

Yoder409

Most of my turkey guns are dedicated and see no other use.

My BPS 10 sees some coyote and goose duty on occasion.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

FullChoke

I use my 870 20 gauge with the RSF choke tube for turkeys in the spring and for squirrels in the fall. The Mueller sight is perfect for the limb rats. The only change I make is switching over to #6 lead field loads.   :z-dizzy:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Rockhound

I just bought a sbe2 for this purpose and it will see action from dove to turkey and everything in between

RAY

I used to use my SBE for both Turkeys and Waterfowl as well as my Winchester SX2. I would swap out chokes and roll with it...then I got an 835 Ulti-Mag and dedicated it to my Turkey hunting and haven't looked back.  :funnyturkey:

Longshanks

The two guns I shoot for multiple game are Beretta Urika 2 and Rem 870sm. They both have double beads and the POA/POI stays on with these two guns from imp cyl to turkey chokes. My other turkey guns shoot off with turkey loads and have to use adjustable iron sights or red dots to reel them in and they become basically a one shell gun. For this reason I use them for turkey only.

Beretta Urika 2 / Pure Gold .670 /Hevi 13 3" 6's and 7's

Rem 870sm/ Ventilator .655/ Win XX 3" 6's.

These guns I hunt with imp cyl, mod chokes for rabbit, squirrel, duck, dove etc

Snoodsniper

Turkey gun for turkeys, o/u's for upland and semi auto for crows. Gonna try my hand at waterfowl hunting this fall and will likely use a semi for that as well.

d.winsor

If you scope your turkey gun it is a dedicated turkey gun, except for putting in a modified choke and going squirrel hunting.  I use to use my 870's like that.  Now I have an SX3, with a Fastfire 3 on it.  Using 2 3/4 inch shells, If I slip in a modified choke it will see squirrel, quail, rabbit, etc., some people use the Fastfire 3 to shoot Clays.  I am sure a choke for duck hunting would work also.  Mostly I have reloaded my own 12 ga 2 3/4" shells with #5 shot and stiff powder loads.  Always patterned like my turkey choke, never had to change anything, except to put in a modified choke.