turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for a vw micro bus

Started by Old Gobbler, June 27, 2014, 08:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

I used to have one of these , but sold it -- I know some of you guys may come across a old one abandoned in someone's place , junkyard, barn , storage unit , backyard abandoned in the woods ...whatever ......I'm looking to get a fixer upper to work on ,some work needed, doesn't have to run , but isn't totally rusted out --  in particular a pre 1967 vw bus with the distinctive " split window" in the front it wil have a pillar in the center on the front window --  if anyone is able to locate one for me that I can buy or transport out of there , I will pay very nice finders fee for your trouble

Thanks again -- Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

hunter62

theres one of these on the side of the road for sale some where it looked pretty clean i think it was on rt 20 two weeks ago
  not sure of the year il have to ride out and see im sure it didn't have all the windows

Old Gobbler

Take a picture for me , I'm looking for one to fix up badly -- the ones with the split widow are getting hard to locate in any condition - people let them sit out in the weather and the rust out in no time flat

There is a network of thousands of good old boys on this site and I'm sure with all the back roads traveled turkey hunting someone will hook me up

If I get  one I'm going to weld up all the spots with new panels and keep it

-Shannon

hunter62

il ride up and see if it still there and take a pic of it I  know it didn't look to rusty .my son just bought a 67 bug

Tail Feathers

My first thought was from a song "seven long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse micro bus". :jackson:

Sorry, no leads here but good luck in finding one.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Old Gobbler

If there is one in the southeast for a price that is  affordable  for me in workable condition  I'll jump in my truck and go grab it , and I mean I will be there by nightfall ---money in hand --there will be a finders fee -- I have a transporter down the street that can get it to me from any here in the country also if its further -

I was driving through Wyoming 3 years ago and found one on the side of the road - the most favorable ones are from the dry southeast - Arizona , New Mexico , Texas the climate is dry and there is little body rust  -

-Shannon

turkeyfeathers

Used to follow the Grateful Dead. That bus brings back memories......at least what I can remember

allaboutshooting

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Tail Feathers

I saw an episode of American Pickers where they found a guy who had dozens of VW buses.  They look (and maybe bought?) on with a split window.  If I see it again, I'll see where they found the guy.  Maybe something on the A&E website would help?
EDIT: That show is on History Channel.  Sorry.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

darn2ten

I think that one in the pic above is what they call a 10 window. If so those thing in super restored shape are worh ridiculous money. I saw a thing about them on tv not long ago, guy had one that he wanted 6 figures for.  :anim_25:

ghillie

I hear tell that VW is going to start making these again, I sure hope they do, I could make really good use of one.  Hopefully with a big enough power plant to trailer the boat.  Those old Westfalia's are pretty sweet though.

MDbowman

Old Gobbler

The top one is a deluxe model with 13 windows and the trim -  and is actually in good shape compared to some I've seen -- thx

-Shannon

allaboutshooting

We owned 2 of the VW buses (Type 2) one was the standard bus and the other was the camper version. We also owned a beetle (Type 1) for several years, all in the 1970s.

Both buses had the "immediate lane change feature" that would cause them to change lanes very quickly with any kind of crosswind. That feature made life very interesting at times, especially when crossing long bridges over rivers in windy conditions.

We put lots of miles on those vehicles. They did well as long as you followed the maintenance schedules recommended by VW, changing the oil often and having valves adjusted regularly, every 1500 miles,  on the beetle. The buses had larger engines (Type 4) fuel injected with electronic ignition and longer maintenance schedules.

You brought back a lot of memories Shannon.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Snoodsniper

There's a real nice camper version on PA twin tiers craigslist. Its not a split window but its pretty cool. $6000.00