OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the Closest You've Ever Shot a Turkey?

Started by crowbarr, March 18, 2011, 12:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchip

Around twelve yards, there wasn't any flopping.  I had been cold calling for about an hour because I wasn't hearing anything anywhere, and two toms came in silent.  They popped over the hill I was set up on to my left and started getting too far behind me but I was able to turn and make the shot.

OLE RASPY

ncturkey

guesswho

About 85 yards. 

Nah, probably about 8-10 feet.  I missed one closer than that
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

alloutdoors

mdtkyhntr

Somewhere between 5 and 10 yds. Never knew what hit him. 3.5" Winchester XR #6

FttFttVroom!

Todd1700

Quote8 Steps....with a 3.5" Nitro load....it wasn't pretty

I bet it wasn't.

Here is the closest with me. My buddy actually shot him. Bird flew off the roost and landed about 8 to 10 yards away. He was using a Federal Flight control shell. The wadding actually went through his head. Not pretty either.

Basser69

My closest was at about five of my steps which might have been 3-4 yards. Shot him in self-decence

jtg88

I bought some Nitros last year to get a little more range out of my setup. Ironically, the first bird I killed with them was at 7 steps and made one heck of a mess.  He had a bad case of the hamburger head.

kansas hooks

5 yards with my bow and that was after he walked by the blind strutting and brushing the blind with his wings

RutnNStrutn

joey46

This was about four paces.  He came in in full strut with hens just off to my right along the ridge line.  It was the first opportunity through the downed tree.  Exciting but way too close.

TURKEYWHACKER

Two seasons ago I shot one at 6 yards and only a small piece of skin kept the head on. 2 1/4oz of #6's did the job. :newmascot:

Roostem33

About 5 yards, there is a certain thrill when they are that close for me.
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)