OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the Closest You've Ever Shot a Turkey?

Started by crowbarr, March 18, 2011, 12:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

Quote from: LX_Trkyhntr on March 18, 2011, 12:34:52 PM
8 steps

Same here.  Caught him in the neck just under the noggin.  Only thing keeping the head attached was a 1/2" wide piece of skin on the back of his neck.  It was ugly.

He flew down 20 yards to my right just past a buddy.  My buddy let him pass through the weeds thinking we could double because there were 2 or 3 behind him.  I thought it was a jake because we had agreed to not let a tom walk by no matter what.  I saw the beard when he stepped out from behind a tree at 8 yards and didn't even have to move the gun, just squeeze the trigger.  He went down so fast in the early morning light and the weeds that I wasn't even sure if I hit him.  We never called to them once.  My buddy cleaned up with on of the other birds the next morning on the last day of the season.

mohunter

5 to 6 steps with a 10ga nitro strait #7. Had to carry him by his feet!

njdevilsb

About 5 steps.  All that was holding his head on was a thin piece of skin.  My dad and I setup in between the main flock with 2 toms and another tom who had roosted by himself.  The main flock didn't want anything to do with us when suddenly we heard a gobble real close from the direction the lone tom went.  A spit and drum later and he came in doing the mad walk to our decoy.

ILIKEHEVI-13

14yds with a bow out of a treestand

18yds with a gun

SinGin

About 2 1/2 yards on a bird in Kansas. 12 gauge 3 1/2 #6. Just about turned his head inside out. The two guys I was hunting with are both taxidermist, they both said there was nothing they could do with that turkey head.

drum817

8 Steps....with a 3.5" Nitro load....it wasn't pretty  :fud: :gobble:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TANK

buck_hunter21

Closest bird I shot was 10 yards. However, Had a bird strut past me at 3 yards. When he spit and drummed, I nearly jumped on a limb above me.
Spill Blood

Nimrodmar10

I shot one so close one time he was behind me. :goofball:

harvester

mountman62

6 steps, watched him gobble & strut on limb at 50 yds, when he flew down, he landed went down, come up and i shot, 3 more people were coming to him, had watched him fly down for 2 days and roost for 2 days, had 2nd bird on ground behind me at 10 yds also before this one flew down, just couldn't move,
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

Kylongspur88

Bout 8 big boy steps. Blew the back of his head and neck off. I dang near missed him.

Jay

Around 8'. The head was like mashed/flattened.