Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's the Closest You've Ever Shot a Turkey?

Started by crowbarr, March 18, 2011, 12:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbarr

I think the closest I have ever shot a turkey, with a shotgun, is 12 yards.

Fullfan

I killed a gobbler in Mo one year at about 10yds. I was setting just back from the edge of a hill. the bird had been gobbling about 200yds out the ridge. He shut up and walked just down over the edge of the hill I was setting on. I could hear him, so I scratched the leaves and here he came right at me. I shot him the same time he saw me. At the check station they said looks like a .270 to me.

Lesson learned though, set where you can see down over the edge....
Don't gobble at me...

LX_Trkyhntr

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

YELPA

TScottW99

5 steps.  I actually let him get from 3 steps to 5 before shooting.  He had landed 3 steps from me, saw me took off and I rolled him at 5.  3 1/2" #5 Remington lead load in a Mossberg 835 back in the 90's.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

handcannon

Killed one year before last at 10 steps. The wad stuck in a mequite branch right next to where his head was.

BrowningGuy88

7 feet by tape measure. He flew down and went into strut. When he turned his back to me I moved my gun. When he came out of strut I gave it to him right in the middle of the back. I was scared to try a head shot that close! Lead 5's outta a 20.

Daman

stinkpickle

Bigsho69

struttin_1

7 yards on the mountain here in VA. Hens came in first and stood at about 15 yards. Couldn't move the gun at all so I had to wait for him to step in front of it. Rolled him up and scared the crap out of those hens!

TalksToTurkeys

northwoodshntr

12 yds. My 1st bird. 1st time hunting private land. Went scouting with my brother in law the day before and didn't stay long 'cause we were kicking hens up everywhere. We set up the next morning and 2 hens with a tom came in to check out the new girls. Still My best tom so far, 11" beard, 1 1/8" Spurs. Didn't have a scale.

Hognutz

3 yards. I had to let him get away from the blind so I could shoot him. He was so close that I could not see him. 1 alarm putt and bang.. He was fixin' to leave Dodge, so it was now or never..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

jwhunter

8-10 yards. last year. i took my girlfriend with me it was her first hunt!  she is spoiled now