OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New turkey gun

Started by Onpoint, June 20, 2014, 11:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

Alright here's what I got now. 2 decked out 870 12's that I never carry cuz they weigh a ton. Got a baikal mp18 single shot 12 with a 336 ff3 base on it and sumtoy choke. It weighs 5.25 pounds and kicks way to damn hard. Yea it's that bad. I have a 535 with a 24" barrel and rhino choke that will put up 150 3" longbeard 4's in a ten inch circle. Haven't patterned it with 3.5" longbeards but I stocked up on several boxes of 3.5" 4's and 5's after season. I can shoot it with 3.5" all day and the kick don't bother me at all after getting half  used to that single shot mule skinner.

My wife has a little mossberg super bantam 20 with a Carlson choke shooting heavyweights and it's a bad little gun but just a little too short for my long arms. (Although I did kill my first gobbler of the year with it).

I made a trade and am supposed to have 2 Nikon monarch 1x4x20 turkey scopes on the way. I want to get a new turkey specific gun that I just love. I had a stoeger 2000 that I absolutely loved but that gun give me nothing but trouble. Everything I shot it with that gun died. If I clicked the safety off, we were eating him. That has me wanting to check out stoegers new 20. I've handled the sx3 20 and liked it until I picked up a left hand M2 20. WOW. I also liked the feel of the franchi affinity 20 but then I'd pick up the benelli again and it just feels great to me. But then again my stoeger 2000 felt great too. I might just try to find another one of them. I've handled the 3500 and it's just too damn heavy. That's one thinf, gun has to be very light.  I can deal with a little kick, hell the 535 don't bother me but as long as it ain't like that damn single shot I got. A good recoil pad might tame it down some but still. It's bad. Anyway back on topic. What other guns should I look at?

Also if you was in my position and had the guns I do which optics would you put on which gun. 2 scopes on a ff3. I'm thinking about putting a scope on the single shot since it's so light.  Maybe the FF3 on the 535 cuz I don't want to add the weight of a scope to that gun, it's just about perfect in weight. And then depending on what "go to" gun I end up picking up either put the other monarch scope on it or buy another FF3, depending on the weight of the gun.

There's no telling what I'll end up doing but I'm gonna do something I know that much. Hell I might even trade one of the scopes, cuz I need a good scope for my Tikka T3 lite 270 I just picked up. Sweet gun. As you can see I got a lot on my mind and a lot to do. It gets confusing at times so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

COssman14

I love my Benelli Nova, But I also love my 870.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

alloutdoors

Quote from: Onpoint on June 20, 2014, 11:26:22 PM
I picked up a left hand M2 20. WOW.

I'd say you've got your answer already. ;)

mikejd

On point. Did you hit lotto. Between your call collection and  now guns.

Can you give me your secret.lol.

I happen to be a winchester 1300 guy and i would reccomend them to anyone.

Obviously  if your budget allows the Bennelli suggestions are
alright to.

ilbucksndux

My son has a Stoger M2000 and I think that thing kicks like a mule ,but I shoot a SX2 which is a gas gun so . . .  I got a Sims recoil pad for it and it works great. Stoger has the bugs worked out so the new ones don't have the problems the older ones did.
Gary Bartlow

The Cohutta Strutter

Last year I picked up a unfired 2012 Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga for 800.00 . 5pds/13 ounces on my scales, a lightweight for sure. Like the feel better than an M2. Just another option...Strutter.
Anybody seen America lately?

firstflight111

I set my boy up with an 870 20 ga with a scope great little gun shoots great and it's light weight , I am debating on picking one up for me .

Sent from my C811 4G

CUPPED AND COMMITTED

Tail Feathers

Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on June 23, 2014, 09:55:26 AM
Last year I picked up a unfired 2012 Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga for 800.00 . 5pds/13 ounces on my scales, a lightweight for sure. Like the feel better than an M2. Just another option...Strutter.
You got a smokin' hot deal there!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GSLAM95

As much as we discussed this on the phone I thought you already made up your mind.  :laugh:
It's a no brainer to me but  :anim_25: with whichever you choose..

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Onpoint

Quote from: GSLAM95 on June 28, 2014, 04:10:21 PM
As much as we discussed this on the phone I thought you already made up your mind.  :laugh:
It's a no brainer to me but8  :anim_25: with whichever you choose..
I started this before we talked.  My mind is made up.  The stoeger 3020 feels nice but nothin I've picked up has felt as good as that m2 20. Love that gun.  I'm back to line clearance work and plus my other tree business I own so I should be able to get one before long.
Thanks for all your help Jon.  I wanted the m2 all along but that's a lot to spend.  When it comes to turkey hunting,  as much as I'm in the woods to hell  with how much it cost.  I'm bad about trying to settle on stuff to save a dollar. I'm one of thr lucky ones that has a wife that says "Hell when ya spending several hundred anyway ya might as well spend a little more and get what ya really want"  no tellin how many times I've heard that from her.  Especially when it comes to my bow. 

If all goes well I'll be huntin with an m2 next spring.  Hell,  maybe even this fall if I'm lucky. 

sixbird

Quote from: GSLAM95 on June 28, 2014, 04:10:21 PM
It's a no brainer to me but  :anim_25: with whichever you choose..

That's a hot looking gun! Looks like it does the trick too...

dirtnap

20 gauge 870 youth model with no scope or sight.  Good enough.  Don't over think a shotgun.

drenalinld