OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Season 2014 Memories (picture heavy)

Started by GSLAM95, June 17, 2014, 12:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSLAM95

Each year I try to turkey hunt multiple states as it is truly my passion.  I will sacrifice working throughout the entire year to be off during spring turkey season.  This year I was fortunate enough to fill all 15 of my tags in TN, Fort Campbell KY, IL & TX.  It was also an honor to be a part of 6 other successful hunts.  The two fondest memories I have for the 2014 spring season are my girlfriend who killed her first gobbler this year.

Congratulations Jena you worked hard for it!

Just as special to me is the hunt that took place in Texas with one of my brothers best friends Johnny Velis.  My brother passed from a heart attack last December 20th and Johnny is the one who found him.  My brother had always shared my hunting pictures with him and he told me he always wanted to try turkey hunting.  I promised him that I would make it happen one way or another this spring!  This hunt was our second day in Texas and the conditions were difficult to say the least with highs reaching 104 degrees both days that he could come hunt.
After he killed his bird we spread some of my brothers ashes at that very spot.  It was a hunt that will always hold a very special place in my heart.

As much as I love chasing whitetails with a bow my heart is more into turkey hunting.  The interaction with an adult Gobbler no matter if he is henned up or by himself throughout the breeding season is a special time of year.

Although I went exclusively for years with the bow only.  Recent years with a Benelli M2 (that I originally set up for taking youth & lady hunters) has put me back into enjoying chasing long beards with not only bow but also gun.

I will attach pictures in multiple post although they may not be in any specific order along with the calls used.

Herb Hornstra Ebony trumpet.

Frank Cox Ebony trumpet.

Frank Cox Ebony trumpet.

Matt McClain Trumpet.

More pictures to follow...

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

GSLAM95

Crotch Cherry Hen box Richard Hudson

Kip Feroce box call (Don't let anyone fool yuh and say that a glued together is not worthy, this little box is full of turkey!)

The Kitchen Sink Double!  After 3-1/2 hrs of these two birds on the next ridge over and being unable to move due to very open woods and on the neighbors property. 
The following calls were used at different times and in mixed order.
Mouth calls by Randy Panek, Mike Battey slate w/Harold Fowler striker, Kip Feroce box and finished with a Frank Cox Ebony trumpet!

GSLAM95

Randy Panek Mouth call, Battey Slate and Frank Cox Ebony Trumpet

Another Frank Cox Ebony Trumpet bird.  Yes this trumpet seen some miles this spring Frank!

GSLAM95

Just a view from the inside on the many miles traveled.

Fort Campbell is always a treat.  Don't let anyone kid you either as a civilian I can attest that the golden areas are always picked over before we get in.  The areas I drew were hunted hard daily!  You just have to stick it out and the afternoons can be just as rewarding as the mornings.

GSLAM95

GSLAM95

A drizzly rain day in the beautiful hills of Tennessee..

Panoramic view..

Patience is rewarded and the 3" cut F.O.C. did it's job.

GSLAM95

Yes the face mask can serve more than one purpose :~)

GSLAM95

Dead bird walkin as he never flopped!

Steve Lumma Cane Yelper.

GSLAM95

HEY!! HOW ABOUT A LITTLE PRIVACY HERE!  (Sorry couldn't resist) I was walking and calling and happened to look down beside me and was given a dirty look so I had to capture the moment.

I guess he thought the flowers were nice as well.  He sure didn't want to leave

But eventually he yielded

GSLAM95

You know what they say about Texas...  It either bites, pricks or sticks!

GSLAM95

GSLAM95

Finished the season of with a Herb Hornstra Ebony Trumpet and a new Broadhead that I am quite impressed with.  Those of you that bow hunt may want to check out the 2 blade mechanical 2.5" cut by executionerbroadheads.com as it has .04 blades made by Gillette razor.  I will be sporting these in my quiver come fall for deer season.

Texas has some beautiful scenery as well..

GSLAM95

Kip there will be a care package in the mail shortly buddy as I need a couple more back scratchers for gifts.

After the Texas season closer Jena, her daughter and I spent a little time with my brothers friends on our 1st deep sea fishing trip.  After a ceremony at sea with big brother closure of one of the most memorable spring seasons of my life has been etched forever.  I love you big brother and miss you every day!
Sorry if it was too many pictures but as a lot of my fellow turkey hunting buddies here know this was a very special planned out season for me that all come together and I feel blessed to have been surrounded by so many who mean more than they will ever know.

land cruiser

Wow, what a season! Thank you for sharing. 

Go G.W.