OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hybrid Do Dat

Started by hunter22, June 14, 2014, 01:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter22

Here's one I have been tuning on awhile. I got the parts from two great callmakers. The box is Chestnut and the lid is Maple. I sanded and finished the lid and put it with the Do Dat box. I sanded wood from the sides until I got the sound I wanted.  I have to say it simply is pure hen turkey. Thanks guys for giving me the parts for this project.

fastford04

Good job man nice box!

Sent from Tiny's iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring Creek Calls

That is a great lookin box, congrats!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

West Augusta

Good looking Do Dat Rickey.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

M,Yingling

Nice one ,,, iam sure its all turkey
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

CMBOSTC

That's a keep-sake call right there Rickey.

Chris
Gobble, Gobble... "BOOM"!

yelpy

Now you need to start making the whole call. I have been waiting for the day that you do. Looks good!!!

hunter22

Tom,

I wish I had gotten into call building when I was young. Heck, I might have made something that would sound decent by now. I was really never into woodworking. Hindsight I think I would have really enjoyed it.

I got the box from Chuck Anderson and the lid from LT Pack. Two mighty fine callmakers in my opinion.

yelpy

It isn't too late Rickey. I am sure you can find the help you need to get started.

Old Gobbler

Looks good Ricky !

Making calls for my family was a necessity growing up , we didn't have any $$ and if we wanted calls to hunt with we had to make it , having someone good teach you will certainly help the learning curve quite a bit - never too old nor young to start building them in my opinion , so I suggest you keep up at it

I know you got some good calls and keep doing what your doing , replacing the parts with ones you made until the sound is right and you have mastered that component , doing this will isolate the component part when the sound is right --  lid , base, pot, striker ...etc.....that way your not altering or modifying the wrong part and going in reverse in the process , the box part is difficult but luckily they is quite a few helpful people out there that know how to build these and are more than willing to share the knowledge , books have been made on the subject

The hard part will be learning the tricks of the trade and slowly acquiring the expensive equipment  , dont go cheap on the machinery , and be safe with the saws etc...

Looks good and keep up the good work ! -- Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

hunter62

Nice Rickey I think you should Do Dat again il send you some  pieces

mgm1955

Rickey just saw this and wanted to say that looks awesome!! That's got to be a great feeling!!

paboxcall

Sweet looking box call - love the grain in the lid.  Very nice, bet that thing runs perfect.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot